PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Can't find bittorrent downloads

John Jason Jordan
November 13th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I swear Ubuntu's download pages are getting harder and harder to find things in.

I help with a local LUG that holds a Clinic for Linux newbies. One of my tasks is to maintain all the latest popular distros and all the versions thereof. We usually recommend Ubuntu to newcomers, but people bring all kinds of computers, many of which need Lubuntu or Xubuntu, yet others want Kubuntu, and on and on. I need all the flavors of Ubuntu.

I prefer to download by torrent because it is faster with my connection. I found a page with torrents for 10.04 and 10.10 for Ubuntu desktop, alternate and server, but I'll be darned if I can find torrents for Netbook, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu and others.

Is there a master page that lists all torrents for 10.04 and 10.10 for all flavors of Ubuntu?

candtalan
November 13th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I sympathise.

For torrents it would really make sense to have a centralised page. Easier to harvest downloads stats too.

wojox
November 13th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Here's what I use. Go to Minimal CD
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD)

At the screen you should see

BOOT:

Type install

About half hay through you should see a screen come up

aptitude

Scroll through and choose you DE.

uRock
November 13th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Check my little slide show. As for Kubuntu and Xubuntu, I am not sure how their pages are laid out.

John Jason Jordan
November 13th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Wojox:
I can't use minimal install CDs because the location where we hold the Clinic has limited bandwidth. Imagine four or five newbies downloading over the same internet connection to make their installations. Add several helpers googling to find answers to other users's problems.

uRock:
Thanks for the slide show. I was already on that page and have all those torrents. It's the torrents for Lubuntu, Mythbuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Ubuntu Studio that are hard to find.

I did finally find torrents for everything I was looking for, although I had to go to alternative sites to find them. It sure would be nice if someone would corral all the torrents for the last 3-4 releases and put them on one page. I'd do it myself if I wasn't so swamped right now.