PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I wear socks with ?

MooPi
November 13th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Okay the fashion police nab me every time I wear socks with my sandals or clogs and it's ******* me off . It is comfortable and enough said about that COMFORTABLE ! Why do women in particular get all bent because of my socks. Ughhhhhh ! Besides my aberrant sock display I usually follow standard fashion sense and would like a waiver. Any geeks with fashion issues out there ?

szymon_g
November 13th, 2010, 02:59 PM
even Romans weared socks (well... sort of) with sandals.
i see nothing wrong with that (as long as socks are dark and are the same color)

CharlesA
November 13th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I just wear sandals all the time, no socks of course. :P

Gets kinda chilly in the winter tho.. hmm...

But yeah.. no white socks with black sandals.

nlsthzn
November 13th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Come to the UAE... here sandals are the "in" thing to wear... any way you choose...

Spice Weasel
November 13th, 2010, 03:01 PM
http://torvalds-family.blogspot.com/2009/06/outwitting-fashion-police.html

matt_symes
November 13th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hi

Print a tshirt with the words "I wear socks with sandals and i'm proud!". People will leave you alone then.

Kind regards

MooPi
November 13th, 2010, 03:15 PM
What a fabulous idea. On the back of said shirt I'll print

Geekanista
vs
Fashionista

mips
November 13th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Dude, socks with sandals/slops is just wrong and has been for almost 40yrs since I've been around.

Toadmund
November 13th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I wear socks to bed, but I don't wear sandals, but if I did, I would wear socks in the sandals.
I don't like the feel of bare feet on the sheet, I especially don't like my toenails scraping the sheet fibers.

MooPi
November 13th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Dude, socks with sandals/slops is just wrong and has been for almost 40yrs since I've been around.
See what I'm talkin' about. All this haten' of my socks :)

jfreak_
November 13th, 2010, 03:37 PM
See what I'm talkin' about. All this haten' of my socks :)

Don't moan.... I am with you. I wear socks and sandals all the time.

forrestcupp
November 13th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Wearing socks cancels out the whole point of wearing sandals. The point of sandals is that you can just slip them on quickly and go about your business. If you have to take the time to stop and put socks on, you're missing the whole point.

Anyway, if you don't care what you look like, why do you care what people say about it? If you care what people say, then you care what you look like, and you should just stop wearing socks with your sandals. ;)

And now, a case for wearing socks. A few months ago, I was wearing flip flops at Walmart. As I was hurrying down the main aisle, I got my little toe caught in the wheel of the cart and it cut through my toenail bad enough that it was gushing blood out. I couldn't get the bleeding to stop for at least an hour.

szymon_g
November 13th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I especially don't like my toenails scraping the sheet fibers.

use nail scissors/clippers

RiceMonster
November 13th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Why even wear sandals if you're going to wear socks with them? I thought people wore them in the summer to keep their feet cool, or so you can just quickly slip your bare feet into something.

Personally I don't particularly like sandals anyway. I only wear them at the beach.

CharlesA
November 13th, 2010, 04:35 PM
And now, a case for wearing socks. A few months ago, I was wearing flip flops at Walmart. As I was hurrying down the main aisle, I got my little toe caught in the wheel of the cart and it cut through my toenail bad enough that it was gushing blood out. I couldn't get the bleeding to stop for at least an hour.

Done that before, but at most I've just ripped the toenail, not actually cut into the toe (thankfully).

Wearing sandals can be hazardous!

cgroza
November 13th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Happened to me before in a closed circle of friends luckily. It is really embarassing.

DoktorSeven
November 13th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Most of the time I don't wear socks with regular shoes.

I despise socks and curse whoever invented them. The most uncomfortable, uncooperative piece of clothing ever, right next to the necktie.

And yes, apparently I'm that guy on Seinfeld that couldn't find a comfortable sock.

devondashla
November 13th, 2010, 06:20 PM
The reason it's bad is because it's tacky, and if it's so cold you need to wear socks with your sandals, IT'S TOO COLD TO WEAR SANDALS.

Also: Sandals are tacky regardless of socks or not. Flip-flops ftw.

laurenbanjo
November 13th, 2010, 06:23 PM
The main reason for wearing socks is to keep your feet warm. The main reason for sandals is to keep your feet cooler. So why would you do both?

I hate when people say "but it's comfortable!!!" you don't KNOW what comfortable is until you wear skateboarding shoes (and the real and good ones, not the fake pieces of crap at WalMart).

If you MUST wear a sock to make your shoe feel comfortable, something's wrong with the shoe.

matt_symes
November 13th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Hi

I prefer wellington boots. :)

Kind regards

cpmman
November 13th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Wellies came in after the sixties when AIDS was invented.

Do your own thing man!

drawkcab
November 13th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Birkenstocks + wool socks is one of the most comfy combos you can ever wear. But yeah, you're gunna look like an idiot so wear something else if you wanna make the ladies happy.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
November 13th, 2010, 07:23 PM
If someone tells me I shouldn't wear socks with sandals, I'll proceed to take my socks off and carry them with me as long as that person is around. If anyone asks weird questions, I'll say he told me to.

cpmman
November 13th, 2010, 07:30 PM
stupid username - scans badly - like wool socks which rot on my feet - cotton only.

snowpine
November 13th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Socks are considered undergarments, and showing them to the world is like wearing your underpants on the outside of your trousers or showing up to work in a "wifebeater" tee shirt.

Austin25
November 13th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I wear socks with shoes. I live in Minnesota though...

NovaAesa
November 13th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I saw a guy on the train the other day wearing socks and thongs, wasn't a pretty sight.

Random_Dude
November 13th, 2010, 11:27 PM
You can wear socks with sandals, but remember: just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I don't get the socks + sandals thing. If it's hot you wear sandals, if it's cold you wear shoes, if it's very cold you wear boots (at least I do).
So why the socks? Is it something between hot and cold?

forrestcupp
November 14th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Done that before, but at most I've just ripped the toenail, not actually cut into the toe (thankfully).

Wearing sandals can be hazardous!

Yeah. I was bleeding so badly that it was really freaking people out. I was having to sop up puddles of blood with their paper towels. Right when I was doing all of that, a girl in my little boy's class walked by and said hi. I think he was embarrassed.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
November 14th, 2010, 12:56 AM
So why the socks? Is it something between hot and cold?

Closed shoes are uncomfortable and make my feet swell. I prefer wearing slippers whenever I can, but sandals+socks is as comfortable as I can get in an office environment. At home, it's slippers+bathrobe all the way.

wilee-nilee
November 14th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Why do you care what anybody else thinks of you or your attire?

Be yourself and be happy that you can be.;)

73ckn797
November 14th, 2010, 01:04 AM
What is worse is black dress shoes with tall nylon socks and wearing shorts.

tgalati4
November 14th, 2010, 01:06 AM
How about high-tech, black compression socks with Birkies?

Not good enough, how about low-cut, multi-color, running socks with Birkies?

What's with all the Walmart hating?

You can get some serious style clues from People of Walmart:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

MooPi
November 14th, 2010, 01:07 AM
New T-shirt when I'm wearing my socks,

Quit lookin' @ my feet,
I'm more than just a sock model

73ckn797
November 14th, 2010, 01:08 AM
How about high-tech, black compression socks with Birkies?

Not good enough, how about low-cut, multi-color, running socks with Birkies?

What's with all the Walmart hating?

You can get some serious style clues from People of Walmart:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

WalMart: the Saks Fifth Ave. for the trailer park nation.

matt_symes
November 14th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Hi

New T-shirt when I'm wearing my socks,

Quit lookin' @ my feet,
I'm more than just a sock model

Blimy. At this rate you are going to have an entire new wardrobe :)

Kind Regards

simpleblue
November 14th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Why even wear sandals if you're going to wear socks with them? I thought people wore them in the summer to keep their feet cool, or so you can just quickly slip your bare feet into something.

That's not the issue in most 'sock+sandel' cases. Many people like the comfort and ease of slipping on sandels as opposed to shoes. And some people, like myself, find shoes incredibly constricting and uncomfortable in the summer. I like sandels because they allow my feet to breath properly, and not sweat, but at the same time I find that they rub against my skin in a way that irritates me. Socks solve this problem.

Socks are considered undergarments, and showing them to the world is like wearing your underpants on the outside of your trousers or showing up to work in a "wifebeater" tee shirt.

In this case we'd better wear socks with sandels because if we didn''t then we'd be completely naked! :shock:

Khakilang
November 14th, 2010, 05:06 AM
I wear sandals but not with sock. The weather is hot most of the time and my feet need some cool air.

mips
November 14th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Then again you won't catch me alive in sandals either. I wear flops 90% if I'm leaving the house, else it's barefoot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-flops

Flip-flops, thong sandals, flip flops, zories, slip slaps, thongs, pluggers,[1] double pluggers,[2] toesies, jandals or slippers are an open type of outdoor footwear, consisting of a flat sole held loosely on the foot by a Y-shaped strap, like a thin thong, that passes between the first (big) and second toes and around either side of the foot. Unlike sandals, flip-flops do not secure the ankle.[3]

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9f/Havaianas.jpg/220px-Havaianas.jpg

The Real Dave
November 14th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I wear socks in bed because when it's just me in the bed, it's bloody cold :(

Other than that, if it's cold enough to need to wear socks in sandals, then it's too cold for sandals :P

I also loathe Crocs >.< What hideous shoes :)

Toadmund
November 14th, 2010, 02:53 PM
use nail scissors/clippers
So scraping the sheets with those is better?

Sean Moran
November 14th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Okay the fashion police nab me every time I wear socks with my sandals or clogs and it's ******* me off . It is comfortable and enough said about that COMFORTABLE ! Why do women in particular get all bent because of my socks. Ughhhhhh ! Besides my aberrant sock display I usually follow standard fashion sense and would like a waiver. Any geeks with fashion issues out there ?

It's because it makes your feet stink in hot weather, and women in particular are conscious of these matters, so if it's cold, wear shoes and socks, and if it's hot go the sandals, sans socks. Your feet will toughen up in a few days, but good air is a necessity to avoid foot odour if it's too hot for shoes and socks.

RabbitWho
November 14th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I don't understand it either, but I've noticed only lunatics and old men do it. I guess everyone else cares what people think of them too much.. so even though it's a completely arbitrary and silly rule we all follow it.

I hate seeing the toes of complete strangers.

koenn
November 14th, 2010, 05:38 PM
The main reason for wearing socks is to keep your feet warm. The main reason for sandals is to keep your feet cooler. So why would you do both?

socks have many purposes, keeping your feet warm is only one of them.

the purpose of sandals is to keep your feet cooler. So obviously, you wear them when it's relatively warm. When it's warm, your feet tend to sweat. Feet are among the most perspiring parts of the human body.

Without socks, the sweat, your skin and the shoe form an excellent environment for bacteria, which will soon start to produce a rather unpleasant smell -- even in sandals. Sometimes even more so in sandals because the open shoe lets in all sorts of dust and dirt that adds nicely to the mix (from a bacteria's point of view), producing the typical sandal sludge.

Sock absorb a great deal of this sweat and help it to evaporate (they act like a wick). The eveporation adds to the cooling effect.
What doesn't evaporate remains absorbed in the sock - which you can (and should) change regularly - your feet and your sandals are far less affected by it.

So wearing socks in sandals makes perfect sense. It keeps your feet cool and clean, and prevents your sandals from becoming old and smelly before their time.

MooPi
November 14th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I don't understand it either, but I've noticed only lunatics and old men do it. I guess everyone else cares what people think of them too much.. so even though it's a completely arbitrary and silly rule we all follow it.

I hate seeing the toes of complete strangers.

Thanks I qualify on both accounts (Old man & Lunatic) :)

MooPi
November 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM
duplicate