PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on publishing a book

theraje
November 13th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Well, as some of you know, I'm working on a game written with HTML5 and JavaScript. A lot of this is uncharted territory, as the implementation of HTML5 is a pretty recent phenomenon, and with most browser teams working on optimizing JavaScript engine performance. There are no books currently available for programming games with HTML5 and JavaScript, and the earliest release for such a book is slated for March 2011.

This got me thinking... with what I'm learning, I could possibly write a book on the matter, and potentially publish my book before March (though it could very well not work out that way).

The thing is, my knowledge of JavaScript isn't really what I would consider "strong". I am still learning, and have accomplished a fair amount, but I am a little apprehensive about my knowledge of the ins and outs of JavaScript. I'm concerned that I might inadvertently teach improper practices.

For example, if there is some "preferred" way to perform a certain procedure, and I do it in a way that doesn't really meet the standard, I'm worried that will harm the overall value of the book.

Is there a happy medium here? Should I focus more on just getting games made, or should I give the book idea the old college try? Hopefully I'll be able to answer this question for myself with a little discussion, and maybe a few tips and suggestions from you guys.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you'll give me some *honest* feedback!

Lucradia
November 13th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Most how-to books, etc. are just opinions most of the time. Any new guides is just added to the big pile.

If you want to publish a book however, you need to make sure you go to the website that has information on such. The USA has such information readily available, but it's hard to get to through the plethora of links they make you go through. You also need to have a printout of your work (all of it), and send it through the mail (yes, the mail, via packaging and whatnot) with a form, etc. to a specific place.

I should know, because I've wanted to write fiction and have it published, but didn't want to deal with that copyrighting hassle (explained in the previous paragraph) then only to have it submitted to a publishing company via the same means.

theraje
November 13th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Well, it's not the publishing part I'm concerned with, as I would need to self-publish as I'm not really "established" as a writer.

The main issue is whether I should work on the book in spite of my short confidence in my JavaScript skills. I know how to get stuff done, but I doubt I'm following JavaScript best-practices to the letter.

wojox
November 13th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Since you're not actually using HTML5 to make the game (just show the interface), I would stick with learning your Javascript inside and out.

Paqman
November 13th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Instead of a book, you could put a wiki up online that you can add to as you're learning. A book is a snapshot of information at one point in time, which is pretty useless if the situation is changing quickly.

theraje
November 13th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Instead of a book, you could put a wiki up online that you can add to as you're learning. A book is a snapshot of information at one point in time, which is pretty useless if the situation is changing quickly.

I hate wikis, but I do see your point. Maybe I should start working on my blog again...

kevin11951
November 13th, 2010, 09:05 PM
For publishing, Lulu is an on demand publishing house, and they will add your book to Amazon, B&N, etc... for $100 I believe.

http://www.lulu.com/

more info here: http://www.lulu.com/services/distribution/?cid=us_pubpage_distro

Paqman
November 13th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I hate wikis

They're pretty much perfect for documenting this kind of thing though.

Lucradia
November 14th, 2010, 09:55 PM
They're pretty much perfect for documenting this kind of thing though.

+1 to that.