PDA

View Full Version : Athlon 64 or double the ram? That is the question?

purdy hate machine
April 18th, 2006, 02:55 PM
So I’m planning to build a new system to a strict budget for a friend.
It’s not going to be used for games or any high end graphics applications,
just a general internet home machine. (Running Ubuntu of course)
For the same costs I can get the following:

AMD Sempron 3000 - 1024Mb DDR 400MHz

Or

AMD Athlon 64 3000 - 512MB DDR 400MHz

Swings and roundabouts huh?
Is there a great deal of difference in processors or should I stick with the Sempron and double the ram? :-k
What do you think?

Iandefor
April 18th, 2006, 03:32 PM
So I’m planning to build a new system to a strict budget for a friend.
It’s not going to be used for games or any high end graphics applications,
just a general internet home machine. (Running Ubuntu of course)
For the same costs I can get the following:

AMD Sempron 3000 - 1024Mb DDR 400MHz

Or

AMD Athlon 64 3000 - 512MB DDR 400MHz

Swings and roundabouts huh?
Is there a great deal of difference in processors or should I stick with the Sempron and double the ram? :-k
What do you think? I'd go with the Sempron, if upgradability isn't an issue (Since Sempron, right now, is using a socket that's gonna get phased out pretty soon), but if it needs to be upgradeable, I'd go with the Athlon.

fmo
April 18th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Upgradability wise, I'd go for the Sempron, because it's socket is going to live longer that the one from Athlon64 that has been planned to be replaced by socket AM2, end of 2006/beginning of 2007.

Iandefor
April 18th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Upgradability wise, I'd go for the Sempron, because it's socket is going to live longer that the one from Athlon64 that has been planned to be replaced by socket AM2, end of 2006/beginning of 2007. You've got it backwards. Sempron currently uses on the Socket 754, which AMD is planning to phase out. Athlon 64 runs on Socket 939, which is gonna be around for a while, at least.

SeanTater
April 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I'd push for the 64 bit. Web browsers don't take huge amounts of memory, and 99.99999% of the software in the ubuntu repository are 64-bit compatible.

So another question: how fast is the HD going to be? If it's really fast, the memory may not be a big problem anyway.

The other question: what are the numbers that go with those: 2200? 2400, etc? That can make a difference.. But for me, I'd go for 64-bit.

mstlyevil
April 18th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Go for the A64 3000. Socket 754 is dead and the 939 socket motherboard is still going to be supported for at least a year. Also the memory controller and extra cache on the A64 will make it perform much better than the sempron even with less RAM. You can always add more Ram later if need be but to move the sempron up to the A64 later would require a whole new mother board.

mstlyevil
April 18th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Upgradability wise, I'd go for the Sempron, because it's socket is going to live longer that the one from Athlon64 that has been planned to be replaced by socket AM2, end of 2006/beginning of 2007.

The sempron is also moving to the AM2 socket according to AMD. AMD has pledged to support 939 for another year but they are going to quit supporting the 754 socket altogether when the AM2 is released in june. You have your sockets backwards.

Virogenesis
April 18th, 2006, 04:32 PM
socket 754 doesn't support dual channel ram so you know and as stated its being discontinued very shortly.

Lovechild
April 18th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I bought an AMD64 becuase I know this system has to last me a long time and I believe 64bit will be the standard soonish.

I would definately go with an amd64 setup, ram is cheap and it's not likely that DDR400 will stop being available even if it's phased out. If you feel the need for more ram at a later date adding more isn't as big a deal as replacing the cpu/mobo.

For now 512 megs of ram should serve you decently, a gig would be nice but given the stats off my machine I rarely go above 512 megs of used memory (I have 2 gigs available plus 2 gigs of swap btw.)

Virogenesis
April 18th, 2006, 05:27 PM
don't forget that AMD will be going ddr2 later this year.

nickle
April 18th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I'd go for the athlon. If you have some spare cash in the future you can think about buying more RAM. Updating your CPU later would be prohibitive because of the cost of the CPU and MoBO; 512K will always be the cheaper option. Just make sure though you get the same type of RAM; mixing differenty types can lead to odd problems. Also check Ebay you might find a bargain there...

SeanTater
April 18th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I see about 7 for 64-bit
I see (maybe) one for double the ram..

I smell someone getting a 64 bit!