PDA

View Full Version : Oh, the irony

niviche
April 18th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Hello,

Here is a poster for an Adobe forum in Cologne:
http://www.de-bug.de/news/images/db_images/3550.jpg

Of course, they don't have Open Sources in mind when having such a slogan, but I find it ironic that this firm, whose no-Linux stance is a big drawback for a lot of people to switch away from XP or OSX, would use such a "revolutionnary" imagery. Oh well. :-/

briancurtin
April 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM
i dont see the problem

niviche
April 18th, 2006, 05:00 PM
i dont see the problem

Let's say that the fact that Adobe's standards and apps are totally closed to Linux, they are not really bringing any "revolution" as far as OS is concerned, and are a lot more forbidding any change.

Spacecaptain
April 18th, 2006, 05:13 PM
i dont see the problem

the problem seems to be that the marketing crowds subvert the meaning of words to sell a product. they identify needs, then sell an ersatz for it.

last time i checked "Revolution" meant a significant change in the core mechanism of a system. For as much as i appreciate Photoshop, don't tell me that it's last version is a revolution, or my bladder will explode.
also, the iconography they are using for the poster is based on a famous fotography and it's prior posterization of "El Ché" and Fidel Castro, who were revolutionary militants throughout Cuba and South America, as we (still) all know.

what troubles me here is that today's "inconformist youth" (yeah right...) is being sold their ration of fake rebellion in the form of a brainless goo...
And it wouldn't be so much of a problem if it didn't actually work like a charm!

briancurtin
April 18th, 2006, 07:55 PM
you people look way too far into everything that it gets incredibly annoying

K.Mandla
April 18th, 2006, 08:39 PM
the problem seems to be that the marketing crowds subvert the meaning of words to sell a product. they identify needs, then sell an ersatz for it.

last time i checked "Revolution" meant a significant change in the core mechanism of a system. For as much as i appreciate Photoshop, don't tell me that it's last version is a revolution, or my bladder will explode.
also, the iconography they are using for the poster is based on a famous fotography and it's prior posterization of "El Ché" and Fidel Castro, who were revolutionary militants throughout Cuba and South America, as we (still) all know.

what troubles me here is that today's "inconformist youth" (yeah right...) is being sold their ration of fake rebellion in the form of a brainless goo...
And it wouldn't be so much of a problem if it didn't actually work like a charm!
Dang, that was beautiful. I wish I had written that. =D>

EDIT: By the way, it's Korda's photo of Che Guevara they've "used" ... http://www.nodo50.org/ccoounedmadrid/images/che.gif (56k alert)

Jason_25
April 18th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Totally agree. Adobe is anything but revolutionary. They're a slow moving corporate giant.

egon spengler
April 18th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Personally I'm closer to you in that I don't especially care, that said they didn't accidentally use that image, font and phrase. They ARE trying to portray a certain image and open themsleves up to being questioned on it. The perils of marketing software as lifestlye accessory

niviche
April 19th, 2006, 10:20 AM

The problem I have with them is not that much about the imagery they used, that's just marketing, but more that, if Adobe were not so absolutely closed to OS, I could have switched full time to Linux by now. Everything on Ubuntu works nice and fine, but Adobe's behavior and leading position makes it impossible to do professional print work without their software. The Gimp, Inkscape, Karbon14. Krita, Ghostview and Scribus have their pluses, but their programmer's life is certainly not made any easier by this firm. Finally, now that Adobe has swallowed Macromedia, we can still dream for Flash on Linux. :-/

Spacecaptain
April 19th, 2006, 02:58 PM

aw, hell... yes i tend to do that ;)
but on the other hand, if they tried to get away with this cheap propaganda, i will stand in their way. call it stubborness if you like

K.Mandla: thanx for the link.. but it's broken :(
niviche: i agree 100% with you