PDA

View Full Version : Why is GNOME's logo a foot?

lightningfox
November 13th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Why is GNOME's logo a foot?

Couldn't the creators think of a better logo?

kaldor
November 13th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Better than the letter "K" at least.

Quadunit404
November 13th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Better than the letter "K" at least.

Or a scurrying rat.

MasterNetra
November 13th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Or a scurrying rat.

Or a wall-less window.

czr114
November 13th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Or used fruit.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
November 13th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Well when I thought it was pronounced Genome, it seemed to make sense but since I found it is pronounced Gah-nome I have no idea.

73ckn797
November 13th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Or used fruit.
I like this!

Maybe a Gnome has a foot print similar, so, the logo.

73ckn797
November 13th, 2010, 03:16 AM
YES!! that is a Gnome's foot print. See attached image.

Frogs Hair
November 13th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Must be a one legged gnome track.

laurenbanjo
November 13th, 2010, 03:30 AM
GNOME's logo is a foot for the same reason people would make threads like this... they just felt like it. :)

73ckn797
November 13th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Must be a one legged gnome track.
Well, nobody is perfect! Maybe they couldn't get the beast to stay still long enough to get both foot prints?

smellyman
November 13th, 2010, 03:33 AM
I think it is Kwite Kool.

Gremlinzzz
November 13th, 2010, 03:42 AM
What is the logo ubuntu uses suppose to be.The foot is stupid. makes no sense.

73ckn797
November 13th, 2010, 03:53 AM
The Ubuntu logo is people, though an abstract image.

MisterGaribaldi
November 13th, 2010, 04:08 AM
I like both the Gnome and Ubuntu logos. They're clean and simple.

devondashla
November 13th, 2010, 04:15 AM

It's supposed to be three friends in a circle. It resembled it more before Lucid.

alexfish
November 13th, 2010, 04:16 AM

Ask this man

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Rms_at_pitt.jpg

forrestcupp
November 13th, 2010, 04:27 AM
The four toes represent the four corners of the earth. GNOME wants to leave its footprint over the four corners of the earth (globally).

beew
November 13th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Because it kicks donkey? Stupid filter screened out the a** word.

saulgoode
November 13th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Some say that if you take enough of the appropriate pharmaceuticals, the logo will start to resemble the letter "G".

Khakilang
November 13th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I have the foot sticker stuck on my external hard disk and its doesn't go anywhere. I guess it is 1 step forward for Gnome and ahead of the competition.

endotherm
November 13th, 2010, 08:07 AM
a few of my friends once had a band, that was alright, but they had nothing but trouble coming up with a consensus on a name. everyones ideas were crap from my perspective, but a few were workable. unfourtunatly, they ended up with the stupidest one on the list, probably because it was the only one they could all agree was stupid.

andymorton
November 13th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Because it kicks donkey? Stupid filter screened out the a** word.

:lolflag:

Sean Moran
November 13th, 2010, 10:37 AM
"I used to be angry because I had no shoe/s, until I met a GNOME who had no foot/s/es..."

(Aw drat, that didn't work out the way it was planned, did it?)

Chinese proverb courtesy of ChannelNewsAsia that I just made a complete hash out of.

Red_Steve
November 13th, 2010, 12:21 PM
If you take the sometimes oversimplified configuration options into consideration it may be that the Foot stands for "you can configure it with your feet if you want, won't change that much!"

cpmman
November 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Obvious - it shows that it is not in the mouth. :biggrin:

ctrlmd
November 13th, 2010, 12:37 PM

:lolflag:
i was wondering the same thing but didn't want to open a thread for it
thx

Toadmund
November 13th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Or a scurrying rat.
Which one is that?

Well when I thought it was pronounced Genome, it seemed to make sense but since I found it is pronounced Gah-nome I have no idea.
I thought the 'G' was silent, is it not?

PS, I have no problem with the Gnome footprint.
It's like a little Gnome came by, the footprint is the only evidence he was there.

grahammechanical
November 13th, 2010, 02:31 PM
The word Gnome is actually in my father's dictionary that was printed in 1957. It is from a Greek word which basically meant 'mind, thought, opinion.' Or, it could have come from a Neo-Latin word gnomus which some writer (Neo-Latin, I suppose) who invented it to refer to a fabulous, grotesque, dwarfish, misshappen sprite. A kind of earth-goblin, believed to guard hidden treasure.

I prefer the connection to knowledge.

Regards.

Sean Moran
November 13th, 2010, 02:51 PM
The word Gnome ...
to guard hidden treasure...
connection to knowledge.

Both of its legs are the same to me.

cpmman
November 13th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Both of its legs are the same to me.

It's monopedal.

c00lwaterz
November 13th, 2010, 03:44 PM
maybe it's foot print of the gnome. i mean the same way as blueprint. the gnome has architectural system or how they do it, building it. maybe that's is their idea but i also wonder why. it's just be guess. :popcorn:

drawkcab
November 14th, 2010, 08:29 PM
feet stink, and so does gnome shell

just kidding

sort of

mkendall
November 15th, 2010, 10:16 AM

Because gnomes are only twelve inches tall.

lifeform23
November 15th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Which one is that?

I thought the 'G' was silent, is it not?

PS, I have no problem with the Gnome footprint.
It's like a little Gnome came by, the footprint is the only evidence he was there.

GNOME (pronounced /ɡˈnoʊm/)[2] (abbreviation of GNU Network Object Model Environment) is a desktop environment—a graphical user interface that runs on top of a computer operating system—composed entirely of free and open source software.
From Wikipedia...not that its the final authority or anything, just saying

slackthumbz
November 15th, 2010, 05:33 PM
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/GNOME

Almost certainly NSFW. You have been warned!

ziekfiguur
November 15th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Which one is that?
I think it's Xfce, and indeed the foot is better.

worksofcraft
November 15th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I wonder not only why is it a foot... but also why it is a left foot, why it only has four toes and why there is a big chunk missing from the heel... This is evidently from a one legged mutant gnome with a foot injury IMO.

ubunterooster
November 15th, 2010, 08:58 PM
The GNOME foot makes me think of squashed bugs! :D
Or a scurrying rat.
Hey! I think it's nice.

praveenthivari
November 15th, 2010, 09:22 PM
The GNOME Logo

Tuomas Kuosmanen (Tigert) was one of our friends that used to go by #gimp. Tuomas being a GIMP user himself he did various logos, the GIMP mascot (Wilber) and he also had done some small icons that were very nice looking. We started to use Tuomas' icons in GNOME, and he would draw icons for us for the various GNOME applications, and also for the various "Stock" icons (an idea I had that Eckehard implemented to add some consistency to the look of applications).

When we were looking for an icon for the GNOME panel, we went to Tuomas site, and we picked one of the icons he had drawn that had no association to anything yet, a gradient-filled foot in a square. This was the foot that was used for the menu for a long time.

The foot turned out to be problematic, as someone spotted a similar looking logo, and both DrMike and Rasterman were worried about possible problems caused because our GNOME foot looked to similar to the other logo.

The Red Hat labs decided to sponsor a logo competition for GNOME a few months later, and the prize was a digitizing tablet. There is one drawback to the logo contest: it was run by the GIMP people, and hence one of the requirements was to make the logo using the GIMP. This means that we did not get any vector-based logos for the project. There were many good submissions, many of them very good.

We chose to use a new version of the foot done by Tuomas himself. The big difference is that the new foot looked like a "G" instead (the other one was a right foot, this would be a left foot, G-shaped). The logo was quite nice, and we are still using it today.

Source: http://primates.ximian.com/~miguel/gnome-history.html

czr114
November 15th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I wonder not only why is it a foot... but also why it is a left foot, why it only has four toes and why there is a big chunk missing from the heel... This is evidently from a one legged mutant gnome with a foot injury IMO.
It's a differently-abled, vertically-challenged brother from Middle Earth in need of compassionate medical care. No need to be insensitive.