PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use PCLOS?

73ckn797
November 12th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I played with PCLinuxOS a while back. Anyone else using it these days?
What are your thoughts and experience with it?

Moderator: move to appropriate forum category as needed.

Ichido
November 12th, 2010, 11:19 PM
If your talking about PCLinuxOS, I run it from the CD on my Dell 1525n and I like it alot!
http://www.pclinuxos.com/

73ckn797
November 12th, 2010, 11:50 PM
If your talking about PCLinuxOS, I run it from the CD on my Dell 1525n and I like it alot!
http://www.pclinuxos.com/

I had PCLinux 2007 and was checking it out but, to me, Gnome is Gnome and I use Ubuntu. I am downloading the Xfce version of the latest release.

Considering loading it on another computer I have or will install another HD in current desktop unit.

lisati
November 12th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Moved to "Community Cafe"

cariboo
November 13th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I have PCLOS 2010 on one of my systems, it is one of those distributions that just plain works with no extra effort. I actually used it full time before I started using Ubuntu.

PCLOS is a sort of half breed :) it is based on Mandrake, but it uses apt/dpkg to install packages. Aside from the fact that it uses .rpms instead of .debs, it is quite like an older version of Ubuntu, as it still uses grub-legacy and OSS.

kaldor
November 13th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I had it installed briefly some years ago and I didn't like it.

The branding annoys me too. Sounds way too generic and it has a "PC" button for menus.

Call me picky :)

I like the idea of it, though.

73ckn797
November 13th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I have PCLOS 2010 on one of my systems, it is one of those distributions that just plain works with no extra effort. I actually used it full time before I started using Ubuntu.

PCLOS is a sort of half breed :) it is based on Mandrake, but it uses apt/dpkg to install packages. Aside from the fact that it uses .rpms instead of .debs, it is quite like an older version of Ubuntu, as it still uses grub-legacy and OSS.

I doubt that I will replace Ubuntu but just wanted to play with it some more.

smellyman
November 13th, 2010, 02:41 AM

WAS based on Mandrake/driva. independent now.

I think PCLOS does a great job with all their spins. I love the Gnome Zen Mini

Quadunit404
November 13th, 2010, 02:57 AM
The branding annoys me too. Sounds way too generic and it has a "PC" button for menus.

I wonder, did the creators of PCLinuxOS call up the redundancy department to come up with the name of their Linux-based OS? :wink:

73ckn797
November 13th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I wonder, did the creators of PCLinuxOS call up the redundancy department to come up with the name of their Linux-based OS? :wink:
It is only a name. Actually I like the name. I do remember I did like the OS but at the time Ubuntu met my needs and had better support via the forums.

pissedoffdude
November 13th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I used to run the 2007 version on my laptop and was incredibly content with it. It had proprietary codecs and drivers at a time when most distros didn't have an intuitively obvious way of installing them. I have not tried the newer versions, but I hear good things about them.

TBABill
November 13th, 2010, 03:23 AM
It's a great distro with a smaller community. Tons of knowledge and in their eyes, simple is better. Very little command line needed, if any, proprietary drivers and codecs included, fast as any 64 bit distro, few breakages, rolling release. And the developer is a forum contributor regularly.

Only problem I had was no 3D support yet in the 2.6.33 kernel for the newer Intel Core i3/5/7 chips that use onboard GPU. In all other ways it was pretty much flawless. And this is as recent as version 2010.07.

lightningfox
November 13th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Doesn't have a 64 bit version.

73ckn797
November 13th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Doesn't have a 64 bit version.
I have not looked into that. If PAE can be enabled then I will go with that. The computer I will use will not need that.

mamamia88
November 13th, 2010, 04:15 AM
I have used it. It's a good distro

sidzen
November 13th, 2010, 05:50 AM
PCLXDE is jus plain fun to use!

One repo and pkg mgt turned me off, though, being used to ubu/deb repository and pkg choices, as well as Debian-style dependency handling.

Enjoy!

Khakilang
November 13th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I installed it on my old computer which is Pentium 4 1.5GHz with 512MB RAM. At first I try the KDE version but I find it a bit slow so I switch to XFCE and its working great. Now it is the main OS for my older computer.

oboedad55
November 13th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I ran 2010 on an old IDE drive recently. Like has been mentioned, it works. Nothing fancy, not super-fast, it just works. And since I was having problems with both versions 10 of Ubuntu it was kind of refreshing. I am not a big KDE fan, though once I worked my way through the nested menus it worked well enough. Just finished burning Natty so we'll see what cutting edge is all about!

cariboo
November 13th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I ran 2010 on an old IDE drive recently. Like has been mentioned, it works. Nothing fancy, not super-fast, it just works. And since I was having problems with both versions 10 of Ubuntu it was kind of refreshing. I am not a big KDE fan, though once I worked my way through the nested menus it worked well enough. Just finished burning Natty so we'll see what cutting edge is all about!

There really isn't much different on the Natty daily builds yet, but if you want cutting edge. Unity pre-pre alpha is now available here (https://launchpad.net/~unity/+archive/ppa). For more info have a look at the Unity Mega thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1610637)

oboedad55
November 13th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the reply. I must have gotten a bad download of Natty, the CD crapped out as well as my USB drive install. Boots up to the usual Ubuntu purple screen then dies. I'll try again tomorrow. I have a good Lucid install as well as a Mint 10 that works pretty well. I just like to mess with new stuff.

simpleblue
November 13th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I hear pclinuxos' e17 desktop is one of the most functional and unbuggy versions of enlightenment yet available:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=215

I'll be trying it out when I get a chance.

As for pclinuxos' KDE, I find that it is MUCH more responsive then Kubuntu, Linux Mint KDE, Suse... It's 'almost' comparable to a gnome in speed, at least for me it was.

oboedad55
November 13th, 2010, 09:46 AM
You're probably right about the KDE implementations. I've not been a fan for a while, preferring Gnome, but if I was to pick a KDE-based distro it would be PCLos. I have to admit I haven't tried Kubuntu in a while, not since 9.04 so it would be worth a look. I did run PCL on an old IDE drive so I'm sure it would be better on my SATA drive. It isn't state of the art, but it works.

Ichido
November 13th, 2010, 10:51 PM
to me, Gnome is Gnome and I use Ubuntu.

Check out... http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=184

73ckn797
November 14th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Check out... http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=184
I still feel that Gnome is Gnome.

I have downloaded PCLinux Xfce and Xlde. I do like Xlde. Ran both off the LiveCD's.

I am still looking whether PAE is enabled. From one area I was able to see the computer hardware info and the CPU shows a PAE flag. It also does see all memory (6GiB) in the available memory slots but that is likely just general hardware info and not that it is using the memory.

Is there a program in Synaptic for Ubuntu that shows that info? System monitor does not give much info.

3Miro
November 14th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Something always pulls me away from PCLOS so I cannot give it a good try. First, I cannot consider it as my main distro without a 64-bit version (they are working on one now), but I did give it a couple of tries.

I was impressed how the LiveCD had Nvidia drivers and all available right out of the box, however, when I tried to install it along side other distros, something got messed up in Grub/Initrd and it wouldn't work. It also bugs me that like the new Ubuntu installer, you cannot skip installing the bootloader, but you have to install it on the root partition. When you have multiple distros, it is so much better to just not install the boot-loader at all.

Later I decided to give it another try on my laptop. I had tried KDE on the laptop once and it was horrible. At the time I thought it was Kubutnu's fault, but now it turns out that KDE and my laptop don't work together. I removed PCLOS by the end of the day. The strange thing is that all GTK DE work fine on the laptop (even with compiz and plenty of effects).

I will wait for PCLOS 64-bit and give it another try on the desktop.

MooPi
November 14th, 2010, 04:23 AM
The Zen-Mini version is pretty slick, but the deal breaker was crontab was harder to get functioning and work. I probably gave up to soon.

73ckn797
November 14th, 2010, 05:00 AM
The Zen-Mini version is pretty slick, but the deal breaker was crontab was harder to get functioning and work. I probably gave up to soon.

I believe that each of us have our preferences and particular needs or programs. Depending upon the hardware, one will work and one will not work for the individual desires and/or hardware. Good thing that there are so many options/distros that are available. What will work with one will not work for another.