PDA

View Full Version : Go-oo Dead?

kevin11951
November 12th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Has anybody seen this?

Go-oo joins forces with LibreOffice

Go-oo shares much of its goals and philosophy with The Document Foundation's LibreOffice project, we're therefore supporting LibreOffice since it's inception, and are in the process of merging most of our patches over, as well as migrating to Document Foundation infrastructure. Going forward, the Go-oo project will be discontinued in favor of LibreOffice.

http://go-oo.org/

tadcan
November 12th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I didn't see it, but its only to be expected. The Go-oo project was created because OO was slow or unwilling to make changes that people not in Sun felt were important like interoperability with windows office.

Now that those unhappy with Oracle's lack of response about OO have left, both groups/the same developers on two projects can come together and create what they think would be a better office suite. Canonical etc have said that it will use Libre office, so its not really dead, just being continued under a new name and under a community focused governance, instead of a commercial one.

samjh
November 13th, 2010, 01:40 AM
It makes sense. The two projects were created for pretty much identical reasons, so it's only natural for them to join forces.

I think it'll be great for FOSS office software! :)

czr114
November 13th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Good move. FOSS development accomplishes more through cooperation than competition.

kaldor
November 13th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Awesome.

qamelian
November 13th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Good move. FOSS development accomplishes more through cooperation than competition.
If that were true, we wouldn't have a lot of the amazing software that we have. Competition is often what drives innovation.

beew
November 13th, 2010, 02:30 AM
If that were true, we wouldn't have a lot of the amazing software that we have. Competition is often what drives innovation.

On the other hand there are many not so amazing softwares doing basically the same mediocre jobs because developers are busily reinventing the wheel and otherwise duplicating each others' effort while they should have joined force to take their work to a higher level.

qamelian
November 13th, 2010, 03:51 AM
On the other hand there are many not so amazing softwares doing basically the same mediocre jobs because developers are busily reinventing the wheel and otherwise duplicating each others' effort while they should have joined force to take their work to a higher level.
It doesn't work that way and never will. There are situations where competing apps or libraries get created because two or more developers or groups of developers disagree on some facet of development. One party may want to change to what they see as a better approach and the other party(ies) may disagree/refuse. The options are to stick with a project you will never be happy with, fork the project (which may not be reasonable depending on the point or points of disagreement), or start from scratch.

You can't force a developer to work on an app for a task if he believes is own app is better for the task.

FOSS development is an evolutionary process. Projects develop in different directions. Those that gain an audience survive. Those that fail to gain any traction will die.

Personally, I like the way competition works in the FOSS world. It's one of the things that has kept me part of it for the past 13 years.

themarker0
November 13th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Wait, people are not forking, but merging? In FOSSland? No way!

On a non sarcastic notice, maybe we can finnally get a decent office suite.

chessnerd
November 13th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I'm glad that a couple of open-source projects were finally willing to say "hey, our goal is the same here, let's work together." Because, more often than not,

Competition is often what drives innovation.

Competition drives a lot of things, and exists in a lot of places, even within projects. Especially within open-source ones. There is a lot of competition between developers to have their idea chosen over other people's. To have their fix be the one that makes it into the stable branch.

andamaru
November 15th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Go-oo is actually more alive then openoffice must distro actually take the go-oo patches and apply it to the open office they ship with their distribution. I know this is true for ubuntu, debian, and OpenSuSE