PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 Help!

KWS48
November 12th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I just recently installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my Acer Extensa 4200 laptop.

At first all seemed well. My wifi worked for the first time since installing Linux on this machine when I purchased it a year ago.

Now come the problems,and as a technically challenged 62 year old, I am at wits end!

When I got to "Places" in the Gnome Panel, instead of going to a file folder. It opens Firefox! Where instead of folders and files, I see an index of files. If I click on one of them, once again Firefox opens another index of links to files. What gives? Is this something to to with Nautilus, which I don't know how to access? If it is, how do I access Nautilus and change it?

Then my Firefox has no image, video, map etc. search options. When I google something I get only WEB searches, nothing else. I google my address and I get whatever information is on the web, but nothing. No maps or images. The same for my doctors office. There is no way to get a map or directions. What gives. Are my settings all screwed up or what?

Someone please help me before I resort to buying a windows machine! I deleted windows on this machine shortly after purchase. I always had SOME problems with Ubuntu, but this is ridiculous. It seems that wireless is the only thing that works!:confused:

sikander3786
November 12th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Right click your desktop > Create new folder > Right Click that folder > Open with other application > Select File Browser > Tick the box for "Remember this application for folder files" and you are done with the first problem.

Which websites are you getting a problem with? Did you install flash, java etc?