PDA

View Full Version : OpenSolaris and Solaris

e24ohm
November 12th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Folks:
I was just courious, but is Solaris still in the market for Unix servers? I have been branching out with CentOS; however, I have been looking at OpenSolaris, and wanted to know if anyone has anything to say.

Thanks.

szymon_g
November 12th, 2010, 11:03 PM
opensolaris is dead.
use Linux or FreeBSD

e24ohm
November 12th, 2010, 11:17 PM
opensolaris is dead.
use Linux or FreeBSD

I found the follwoing link, which is Solaris.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris/downloads/index.html

It does appear that the last major upgrade to the core of OpenSolaris was in 2009.6.

thanks.

kaldor
November 12th, 2010, 11:26 PM
OpenSolaris *is* dead and is now continued through a project called OpenIndiana (http://openindiana.org/). There is also a prominent GNU+Solaris hybrid called Nexenta. (www.nexenta.org).

If you wish to keep using Solaris, take a look at those.

e24ohm
November 13th, 2010, 12:06 AM
To be honest, I wanted to get some UNIX experience. I wanted a copy of HP-UX; however, I do not want to spend the money.

Is FreeBSD a good solution to learn the differences between Linux and UNIX? I know there is not much difference, yet some difference.

Reviewing Solaris information - a good bit is different from Linux.

thank you.

Spice Weasel
November 13th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Personally, I would recommend using OpenBSD on a server. It includes the Apache web server, SSH and FTP out of the box and is incredibly secure.

themarker0
November 13th, 2010, 12:38 AM
FreeBSD, don't bother with solaris.

Quadunit404
November 13th, 2010, 12:40 AM
FreeBSD, don't bother with solaris.

Especially since you have to pay for Solaris now while FreeBSD is... well, free.

themarker0
November 13th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Especially since you have to pay for Solaris now while FreeBSD is... well, free.

Even with a free offer, i'd use FreeBSD.

e24ohm
November 13th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I will try FreeBSD for my UNIX adventure.

Only reason I throughout Solaris - I an currently looking for a new job after being laid-off, and I noticed a good number of jobs in my area mention Solaris. In addition, like I mentioned earlier, I wanted to try HP-UX; however, the price is an issue.

On another note - I was watching a documentry of the Mars rovers, and noticed that NASA used a good number of Solaris machines. I noticed the Sun Microsystem logo on their monitors, and it got me thinking.

Thanks so much everyone,
Cheers!!!

foxmulder881
December 14th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I can't believe no one has suggested Oracle Solaris 11 Express yet! It actually seems very good.