PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost startup manager

Breadalbane
November 12th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I lost the startup manager from the drop down menu. I uninstalled and reinstalled it but it still does not appear in the menu. It was system admin.
I have tried to add the program to the menu but as I am new to Ubuntu have no idea where the executable file is or what it is named.

Anyone can help, please?

Breadalbane

sikander3786
November 12th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Are you sure it is installed? Make sure by typing

startupmanager

in a terminal. Does it show up?

If yes, go to System > Preferences > Main Menu and see if it is listed there. It might be deselected there.

Breadalbane
November 13th, 2010, 05:53 PM
The software was not installed even though the Ubuntu Software Centre indicated it was. I have done as you suggested and have a working startup manager.
A minor point but two of the tabs as shown on the example in the software centre do not appear on the installed programme namely SECURITY and ADVANCED. It would appear I have a partial install.

Any ideas or should I start another thread

Many Thanks

KB

I am so impressed with Ubuntu that I am now replacing windows instead of buying 7.

irv
November 13th, 2010, 06:04 PM
If you right click on the System menu and select "edit menu" then look in the Administration section and see if it appears there and that it has a check mark by startup manager.

Breadalbane
November 14th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I now have an incomplete startup manager but at least in finding it I have learned a lot

Thanks for the advice. I will try and remember for when a disappears again

Cheers

B