PDA

View Full Version : Know what sucks... Gettings a job.

ironic.demise
November 12th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I'm at my jobsearch at the minute over at TBG, UK.
Seriously every job I apply for, no luck. I've been unemployed for two-ish years now and I've got a perfect CV, Education and some work experience it's just a bit pointless.

slackthumbz
November 12th, 2010, 04:36 PM
What's your skill set?

Zzl1xndd
November 12th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Are you getting an interview, or just nothing at all?

Also I have found its easier to find a job when you already have one.

slackthumbz
November 12th, 2010, 04:50 PM

Kinda ironic really...

CharlesA
November 12th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Same. Which is ironic in that if you have a job you don't really need to get a new one unless you don't like yer current one.

themarker0
November 12th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Not really. Shows you need the money and you work hard to get it.

LowSky
November 12th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I've gotten 3 job offers while working, when I was jobless it took a friend's recommendation just to get me in the door for an interview. Lean on people you know. When it comes to work, sometimes its worth asking friends and family for help.

There is no reason to be unemployed for 2 years. If you can't get a job you need to look at yourself. What are you saying in an interview? Are you applying for a job that you are actually not qualified for? Are you coming across desperate? Are you dressing the part? Does the job you want really exist, what about applying for a job outside your academic accomplishment? For instance I know plenty of engineers who work in sales because they pay is better and they can use their education to explain their company's work better to clients.

ukripper
November 12th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Have you thought about graduate programmes? BTW, are you a graduate?

matt_symes
November 12th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Hi

Good luck with the job hunt. You _will_ find something so keep looking. There is only so much daytime TV one can handle.

Try jobserve, monster etc. Get in with a good agency and you will always have work.

And try to increase your skill set. Worked for me.

Kind regards

slackthumbz
November 12th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I once spent 3 months working as a cleaner whilst I was between IT jobs. Just remember that work is work and don't expect every job you come across to be perfect. Another thing that helped me was putting my CV up on sites like Monster, Reed and various others. The more places your CV is available the more likely it is that a recruiter will find it and give you a call.

Dragonbite
November 12th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Having a "job" doesn't mean getting paid. Get inovlved with an open source project and show that you're not idly sitting on your hands. Plus it provides a "look at what I've done" on the resume and may even provide networking opportunities through the other project developers.

What about volunteering for local and non-profit groups? Just because a company is non-profit doesn't mean it won't (a) be able to pay you (heck, I'm working for a non-profit right now and you wouldn't know it unless you asked!) or (b) not have jobs that you can put on your resume and (c) may not be able to hire or give you access to a network of possibilities.

You can also try stating up yourself, finding odd jobs or even teaching something like basics of computers ("Ubuntu and You, Introduction to Linux"?) in a local adult education or parks & rec.

Any of these opportunities can produce networking opportunities, letters of recommendations and valuable experience. Prospective employers probably want to see activity (paid or otherwise) showing you aren't a zombie.

And don't underestimate cross-field skills. I started in Accounting before getting pulled into IT. It was my combination of IT *and* Accounting/Finance that landed my my current job at a Financial Company doing IT. They wanted somebody who can understand the "product" as well as the "technical" side of things. They were even willing to send me for training to update my ASP (Classic) skills to ASP.NET which if nothing else, is a great benefit for me here and propective next employers!

aysiu
November 12th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I know people are going to get on my case for being the grammar police, and this is just a forum thread and not a cover letter, but your thread title is Know what sucks... Gettings a job...

I hope that's not indicative of what your cover letter and resume look like. As trivial as it sounds to some of the content-focused folks out there, style does matter. I've been on the hiring end a couple of times, and if I see typos in a cover letter or resume, I just throw it right out. I know I'm not the only potential employer who does that.

Zzl1xndd
November 12th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I've been on the hiring end a couple of times, and if I see typos in a cover letter or resume, I just throw it right out. I know I'm not the only potential employer who does that.

Very true. That was also my standard procedure when I had to do hiring in years past.

matt_symes
November 12th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Hi

Gettings A valid point and the other. I have also been involved in employing people, but maybe a typo? But you are right, _always_ proof read a CV. It only takes a minute.

Kind regards

Cuddles McKitten
November 12th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Know what sucks... Gettings a job...

I hope that's not indicative of what your cover letter and resume look like.

I think the real question is why Skwisgaar Skwigelf is trying to get a new job.

The problem is that getting a job, like dating, is simply a numbers game. You have X% chance of getting any job and, while you can do some things to increase X, you're mostly going to rely on rolling the dice enough times that your numbers come up.

ironic.demise
November 12th, 2010, 06:51 PM
My cover letter and CV are very well presented.
I've got atleast 6 GCSE A-C and I passed an ICT BTEC and an AS communications studies in College.
I go to my jobsearch every wednesday which is five hours long to search for jobs, and I apply for anything I think I can do, sales assistant for ASDA, McDonalds aswell as jobs I would prefer to do like working in a reputable computer shop.

I volunteer 9-5 at a shop on every day other than weekends and wednesday.

It's not like I'm lazy.

I don't get callbacks for interviews, but if I did I think I would look presentable.

Most of you are being quite harsh... thanks for the honesty.

Dragonbite
November 12th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Sign up with any Temp agencies? That's how I ended up with my Accounting job that opened the door to IT (MIS department) that I slid into about 10 years ago.

KiwiNZ
November 12th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I've got atleast 6 GCSE A-C and I passed an ICT BTEC and an AS communications studies in College.
I go to my jobsearch every wednesday which is five hours long to search for jobs, and I apply for anything I think I can do, sales assistant for ASDA, McDonalds aswell as jobs I would prefer to do like working in a reputable computer shop.

It's not like I'm lazy.

I don't get callbacks for interviews, but if I did I think I would look presentable.

You say you are not getting interviews, therefore your CV and cover letter is not doing their job, you may well want to consider getting these prepared by a professional. These are your key to the first step, and are vital.

ukripper
November 12th, 2010, 07:02 PM

It's not like I'm lazy.

I know someone who actually got job after training with them, he was in the same boat as you - http://www.justit.co.uk/

Megaptera
November 12th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Don't give up, it sounds like you've got skills & qualifications a-plenty so it's a matter of persistence ... keep trying.
Any seasonal Xmas work cropping up yet?
Are you near any airports? Often jobs there - not glam jobs like pilots, but shops and restaurants.

davidvandoren
November 12th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Have you googled your own name to see what's coming up.

If there is nothing coming up this might not be a good thing.
Sometimes things come up that do not look really good.

For example if you are looking for all kinds of jobs and this can be traced via google.
Or if someone googles your personal information and right away knows that you are looking for a long time.
My guess is that most companies do not want to hire longtime unemployed people.

My suggestion.
First clean up your on-line profile. Everything you find about yourself when searching the search engine, Clean it up and make it look good.
Search your email addresses, your phone number, address, name etc. and clean.

Use fake names and different versions of your resume to see what works best.
When putting your resume on open boards online there is no reason why you should not do that.
Just make sure you explain yourself as soon as possible. During the first phonecall, Email reply etc.

You also can click on the link on my footnote.

CharlesA
November 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I haven't had much success with temp agencies, but maybe that's cuz of me. :P

I landed my current job when I was hired for temp work that turned perm.

FYI: Putting false info "out there" can backfire on you.

KiwiNZ
November 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Use fake names and different versions of your resume to see what works best.
When putting your resume on open boards online there is no reason why you should not do that.
Just make sure you explain yourself as soon as possible. During the first phonecall, Email reply etc.

You also can click on the link on my footnote.

As someone that has employed a lot of people over the years I can assure you that is very bad advice. I would terminate the selection process immediately I determined the information was false.

davidvandoren
November 12th, 2010, 07:22 PM
FYI: Putting false info "out there" can backfire on you.

Only if you are too far off the truth.
There is nothing wrong with hiding your true Identity on-line.

If you claim to be a Dr.med and you are a mechanic, sure don't do that!

Example: you worked in a hotel for one month.
I have a lot of experience working in the hotel business.

You speak a little Japanese and fluently German.
I speak Japanese, German and English.

Go somewhere and work for 50 C and hour
I am currently employed in a very established business and looking for something different to gain more expertize. or whatever

etc.

czr114
November 12th, 2010, 07:22 PM
The job market is tough most places.

What about getting the word out in your neighborhood with regard to your computer skills?

The public is always in need of local, responsive, and knowledgeable techs to set up, clean up, upgrade, and repair systems. A campaign of flyers, postings, and meeting your neighbors could go a long way towards building some irregular income.

That, when combined with part-time web development or consulting with small businesses, is more than capable of outgrossing any entry-level hourly position. All it takes is a bit of initiative.

Schrute Farms
November 12th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I've been unemployed for about a year and a half, but only actively looking for a job for about 3 months.
I've had several interviews, and a job offer that got rescinded because I had to put my start date off by a week due to an emergency. I think I'm just about to land one here shortly. In the past I've worked as a manager where I've had to go through stacks of resumes to find someone to hire. Here's my 2 cents:

I 100% agree with what others have said; if you aren't even getting interviews, then there is something wrong with your cover letters or your resume. I would also toss a resume if it had grammatical or spelling errors. It is so easy with computers these days to make sure everything is spelled properly. Have someone else read over them. That can help you see some of the grammatical errors, or sentences that sound wonky. Or, as someone else mentioned, have it professionally done.

Also, be prepared to explain what you've been doing while jobless. Potential employers want to know that you've been active and not just sitting around doing nothing. In my case, I had to home school my kid after she got sick. Sucked for me and her, but it actually impressed the interviewers that asked. One guy even said he wouldn't have the guts to do that.

Some employers will not hire long time unemployed folks like us for one reason or another. It sucks, but that's life. One excuse they give, is that they think a long-term unemployed person is going to jump at the first job they get, and then leave that job for the next good offer. They don't want to hire someone who will only be there short term. That makes no sense to me because the employed person that they are looking to hire is doing just that. And, if you haven't had a job in a while, the chances aren't very great that you will get (or look for) another job offer once you are working again. I really think that sucks, but again, that's life.

Anyway, good luck in the search.

davidvandoren
As someone that has employed a lot of people over the years I can assure you that is very bad advice. I would terminate the selection process immediately I determined the information was false.
I am talking about putting your job request on-line for anyone to read. Including friends family whoever.
I do not talk about the resume you actually sent to the company you wish to work for.
After two years of not working at all there will be many employers that terminate his selection processes right away.

steev182
Don't only jobsearch at the job centre.

When I was unemployed, the job centre was easily the worst source of vacancies. I applied to probably 15 jobs a day, after 3 months I'd finally been offered a job - one where they found me instead of me finding them.

I've been there ever since. I went to an interview this week for a different role on the same site and it was the most refreshing interview, I didn't feel unsure of myself or desperate to get the job, which is a big thing...

Dragonbite
November 12th, 2010, 07:38 PM
LinkedIn?

Zzl1xndd
November 12th, 2010, 08:03 PM
A small side note as well, if you are dropping of resumes/CV's in person, make sure you look presentable. I tossed a lot of applicants because they came out in a T-shirt and Jeans.

I am not saying a suit and tie is needed, just business casual.

ironic.demise
November 13th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Great advice coming.
Not willing to put forward any false information but I may review my CV and covering letter skills.

LinkedIn... That actually gets used a lot?

CharlesA
November 13th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I've got a page on LinkedIn, but never use it.

Decatf
November 13th, 2010, 06:10 PM
It seems to have gained a lot of popularity. I've read before on other forums of a few people talking about getting contacted through LinkedIn after some employer looked at their profile on it. It seems to have a reputable image with lots of people having profiles on it. I mean real people from your average schmoe to big guys at the top and not the regular internet Nigerian prince types.

linuxforartists
November 17th, 2010, 05:30 AM
It's counter-intuitive, but all my best networking has come out of pursuing my interests, not by being relentlessly career-minded. I've been taking web design classes, and all the instructors are working professionals. A lot of my classmates are pros as well. Simply by being willing to study, you're showing that you're trying to better yourself.

I'd say look around at your local universities and see if any are offering classes in the skills you want. You don't necessarily have to take on the full financial burden of graduate school. Classes at night and weekends might be better, since the students are more likely to be people who have jobs!

Volunteering was discussed before, and that's a good option. You can get experience, skills, make contacts. Seriously, who turns down free labor?

You might also want to get on Twitter, if you haven't already. When you meet a good contact, follow them on Twitter. People who would be too important to reply to an e-mail are more likely to reply to a Twitter mention. Especially if you pass on a helpful resource, like a good article or website.

Good luck!

Khakilang
November 17th, 2010, 05:51 AM
If no job coming your way why not start your own business or be a freelancer or any skill you process that could help you earn some income. A lot of people loose their job during hard time. I have been jobless for 8 years but I survive on my photography skill and computer repair while waiting for my penchant. All is not loss just because you don't have a job. Sit down and think of a plan to get you going. Ask your friend and family, do some research, read some book and search the net for information. Who knows you might become a billionaire someday. And you will look back into this forum who told you so.

TNT1
November 17th, 2010, 06:03 AM

Yeah, just like girlfriends.

ironic.demise
November 17th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I think I will get Twitter actually, that sounds like a good idea, all of these ideas are wuite helpful.

whiskeylover
November 17th, 2010, 03:17 PM
If you've been unemployed for 2 years, maybe its time to, umm, "pad" the resume a bit. Worse comes to worse they'll say no.

Nightstrike2009
November 17th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hiya ironic.demise,

I know where you coming from my situation is also similar, I'd have a look at your CV and try to take out/correct any minor mistakes that maybe there (some employers are that pissy) if I were you.

It maybe also worth looking at changing your career path to something more in demand, In the end it being at the right place at the right time. Just try to stay focused and positive (Well as much has you can) and just keep applying, its like winning the lottery, just have to keep trying.

I wouldn't take pay too much attention to what so-called Job Club "Advisors" say either it their so great why are they stuck trying to get us into work, rather than be in decent careers themelves, they act like they have all the answers but they don't! (Its mainly to achieve sales type performance targets rather than get you in a job you want).

Have a think about what you want, to do and what is out their, if you fancy the job have a go you never know you maybe the one they want.

I know its depressing at times, but keep going and you'll find something, its the law of averages eventually.

Best of luck though, I am in the same boat searching for a job too.

Most importantly don't let the B**tards get you down, if they do don't let them keep you there ;-)

PS: At least you aren't working in some deadbeat Jobclub, full of dodgy, wannabe salesmen. Theres that at least! ;-)

Dragonbite
November 17th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Regarding your advisors:
Those that can, Do!
Those that can't, Teach (or Advise)!
Those that can't Teach, Teach Teachers!
:lolflag:

DISCLAIMER: NO offense towards teachers. Those that teach becaus they want to are under "Those that can, Do!" and therefore should be receiving duly respect.

TheAnachron
November 17th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Its the time. The longer they will see that you are out of work the less people will be willing to give you a job.

And mainly this means:
The more you need to explain (time out of work, missing experiences, etc) the more you need to contact them in real life. Like calling them and/or visiting the companies, telling them you'd like to start there, you are familiar with their system (check out the company) and that you'd like to work there. I bet they will give it a try, and you'll need to say why you have been unemployed for so long.

Now its your time, tell them what you have done (great) in this time and show it to them. Tell them what you like about it and why you think it was worth the time.

And now finally, tell them why you are the best man for the place. This is not only because you are hungry for work, but also because you are confident and ofcourse flexible and friendly.

I wish you much luck on your job search.

Nightstrike2009
November 17th, 2010, 04:54 PM
By Dragonbite:Regarding your advisors:
Those that can, Do!
Those that can't, Teach (or Advise)!
Those that can't Teach, Teach Teachers!

DISCLAIMER: NO offense towards teachers. Those that teach becaus they want to are under "Those that can, Do!" and therefore should be receiving duly respect.

I never a truer word spoken my friend LOL

Anyhow without being unemployed I wouldn't have had the chance to learn Linux, which I love using.

An advisor asked me recently (after I mentioned learning Linux) "I've heard of Microsoft but whats Linux"
I replied " Its basically a more stable and free Operating system than what your using and the only cost is for support, the software is provided free. If employers switch to Linux to gain IT stability and cut costs, its also what will put you out of a job and me in one!"
His face was a picture :-) LOL

Dragonbite
November 17th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Resumes are in the presentation.

If time "out of work" is your enemy, then don't put dates and focus on what you are doing RIGHT NOW (you said you were helping somebody even though there was no pay involved?), in addition to your accomplishments.

Resume is marketing. Look around, marketing extolls the best things about a product but what about the bad things? It is either skipped or downplayed, but not lied about.

Then you have to be prepared how to answer the sticky questions during the interview, but half of the battle is getting in to that interview.

Oh, and Confidence, confidence, confidence! People want somebody confident, not somebody who is meek or mild. They want somebody THEY can work with and if you come across as meek, mild or with "baggage" then that's a turn off right in the beginning!

And don't forget the letter of recommendation. Even if you aren't getting paid, they can write a letter. Remember, work != paid, but work == experience (in something).

Schrute Farms
November 17th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Although, I'm not the OP, I've been following this thread. I posted earlier that I've been out of work for a year and a half.

I got a job today!!! I'm so relieved. Not the money I want to start with, but I'll get more if I perform, and there's the opportunity to possibly move into management.

I interviewed for a management position with this company a few weeks ago. The guy who interviewed me called me back a week ago and said that he was impressed with me, and that I have made it to the second round of interviews, but it would be a while before they start them. He said that he had another offer in the meantime. One of his stores needed a counterperson, and he gave that store's manager my name & number, then gave me his name & number and told me to call him. In my field, I have been working with this store for close to 15 years, so the manager knew me. He said that he was worried about finding the right person.
It feels good to know that I did well enough during my interview to make the guy think of me, and think well enough of me to recommend me.

Whoohoo!!!

ironic.demise
November 17th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Although, I'm not the OP, I've been following this thread. I posted earlier that I've been out of work for a year and a half.

I got a job today!!! I'm so relieved. Not the money I want to start with, but I'll get more if I perform, and there's the opportunity to possibly move into management.

I interviewed for a management position with this company a few weeks ago. The guy who interviewed me called me back a week ago and said that he was impressed with me, and that I have made it to the second round of interviews, but it would be a while before they start them. He said that he had another offer in the meantime. One of his stores needed a counterperson, and he gave that store's manager my name & number, then gave me his name & number and told me to call him. In my field, I have been working with this store for close to 15 years, so the manager knew me. He said that he was worried about finding the right person.
It feels good to know that I did well enough during my interview to make the guy think of me, and think well enough of me to recommend me.

Whoohoo!!!
Congratulations!

Hmm... I never mentioned that during my time out of paid work I was learning Linux... I've never thought about getting a job using Linux either... I think it'd be great to help me learn and I think I know just enough that I could be of use!

I think this is all going to help a LOT and I'll shout back when I'm getting work.

This topic was originally just a bit of a moan, but turns out once again the Ubuntu Community is support ;)

Guitar John
November 17th, 2010, 11:03 PM
As trivial as it sounds to some of the content-focused folks out there, style does matter. I've been on the hiring end a couple of times, and if I see typos in a cover letter or resume, I just throw it right out. I know I'm not the only potential employer who does that.

At my current job, we have had a few applicants leave important info, like their name and/or address blank.

nothingspecial
November 17th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I ran a successful business for 10 years, which I have since sold. It wasn`t a "normal business". Hours started at 1.30 am and finished between 11.00 am and noon.

I had 20+ staff and to be honest, with those working hours, I was never going to get the most highly skilled/qualified/educated people available. What I did get was excellent staff with what most employers would consider "flaws".

For example, I took on, in my time, 3 men who had served considerable time in prison. Two of them, eventually, became essential to me and very highly paid.

I took on long term unemployed people, people with a history of mental issues and drinking problems (history!!! - I`m not stupid).

Yeah, I got some horrors. But in the main, I got good, intelligent, VERY hard working staff that were glad to be given a chance.

And those staff that were loyal and hard working get recommendations and help from me, and will do, for as long as I live. When they move on I phone their prospective employers personally.

Everyone I ever started, wether they ended up a director, or remained a manual labourer had to show me 2 things. Can you get there on time every day? Can you give me your best, be it for 5 hours or 15 hours depending on what needs doing. From there you can go as far as you are able.

Consider a job that you don`t want to do. It might just pay off.

Schrute Farms
November 17th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I ran a successful business for 10 years, which I have since sold. It wasn`t a "normal business". Hours started at 1.30 am and finished between 11.00 am and noon.

I had 20+ staff and to be honest, with those working hours, I was never going to get the most highly skilled/qualified/educated people available. What I did get was excellent staff with what most employers would consider "flaws".

For example, I took on, in my time, 3 men who had served considerable time in prison. Two of them, eventually, became essential to me and very highly paid.

I took on long term unemployed people, people with a history of mental issues and drinking problems (history!!! - I`m not stupid).

Yeah, I got some horrors. But in the main, I got good, intelligent, VERY hard working staff that were glad to be given a chance.

And those staff that were loyal and hard working get recommendations and help from me, and will do, for as long as I live. When they move on I phone their prospective employers personally.

Everyone I ever started, wether they ended up a director, or remained a manual labourer had to show me 2 things. Can you get there on time every day? Can you give me your best, be it for 5 hours or 15 hours depending on what needs doing. From there you can go as far as you are able.

Consider a job that you don`t want to do. It might just pay off.

It sounds like you were an excellent boss. People like you are easy to work for, and I wish there were more like you. A lot of managers need to remember to treat people like people, and not like a replaceable commodity. I've found that sometimes you will be rewarded if you just give someone a chance, and treat them with respect.

trundlenut
November 18th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Try and get copies of CVs from friends and family who have got jobs recently and see how they compare to yours. If you have got anywhere with your current CV try changing the presentation and as other people have said check the grammer and spelling.

Poor grammer/spelling is always my first stage of filtering.

linuxforartists
November 19th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Had to chime in to say it's really encouraging to see the community come out and support a person in need.

I found it so awkward to talk about being unemployed. Not proud of this, but I said all sorts of things just to save face.

Finally, I was talking to a classmate I'd just met. (I'm studying web design.) Eventually, he asked what I did. I decided to be honest and said, "Actually, I'm looking for a job."

He said, "Really? One of the other instructors has his own web design firm. He said he was looking for people." The guy whipped out his smartphone and e-mailed me the company's website on the spot.

I sent in my resume, and a week later got hired. Getting real-world experience in the field was a boon to my resume. I e-mailed that classmate to thank him and tell him I'd gotten hired.

Anyway, it's okay to admit when you need help. Otherwise, how else will people know to help you? Seriously, I wonder how many opportunities I might have overlooked because my pride got in the way. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Keep the advice coming, guys!

Sean Moran
November 19th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Australia is always in need of decent factory workers with a good forklift licence, and there's plenty of work if you are happy to put a shovel to good use down under.

No free lunches. Broaden your skillset.

---o0o---

One major positive of hard work, is that it will clean out the pores of your skin after a few days or so, and providing you take a good shower every night and every morning, you're likely to smell a lot more attractive to the opposite sex if you work hard and sweat all day.

Dragonbite
November 19th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Had to chime in to say it's really encouraging to see the community come out and support a person in need.

I found it so awkward to talk about being unemployed. Not proud of this, but I said all sorts of things just to save face.

Finally, I was talking to a classmate I'd just met. (I'm studying web design.) Eventually, he asked what I did. I decided to be honest and said, "Actually, I'm looking for a job."

He said, "Really? One of the other instructors has his own web design firm. He said he was looking for people." The guy whipped out his smartphone and e-mailed me the company's website on the spot.

I sent in my resume, and a week later got hired. Getting real-world experience in the field was a boon to my resume. I e-mailed that classmate to thank him and tell him I'd gotten hired.

Anyway, it's okay to admit when you need help. Otherwise, how else will people know to help you? Seriously, I wonder how many opportunities I might have overlooked because my pride got in the way. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Keep the advice coming, guys!

Great Story.

When I was "let go" I didn't give a hoot who knew! I had 3 kids and a wife to feed so my time was ticking. At that time I said "My job IS to find a job" and so I went out for 6-8 hours to the local library to use their computers for job hunting (plus it was air conditioned unlike home, and I didn't have broadband at that time while the library did!).

A friend I've worked with before told me honestly that he couldn't afford me, but I figured if I started getting strapped that I could pick up some jobs with him if necessary. Backup plans are a plus!

Nightstrike2009
November 19th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I've also found a job recently, I didn't have any friends or contacts who could look out for me if suitable job appeared, so I switched careers and as a result of switching my career I have now found a job.

I recommend having a look at what you can do, tranferable skills (Skills picked up that you could modify easily to another job), don't mention negatives in interview or CV's only positives eg instead of "I can't drive" use "I can't drive but however I live locally so that shouldn't be an issue" (unless its a job that needs you to drive).

In other situations "I haven't got experience of that however if you are willing to train me, I could adapt to it very quickly".

Ask your friends if they know of any jobs going, sometimes its not just what you know its who you know. Also if you work 30hrs or over, you maybe able to get working tax credits (in UK) to make your pay up, if you can't find full time employment.

Also Its hard to do but go around to employers you want to work for dressed smart and drop off your CV in person, that way they can put a face to your CV and that makes you stand out better than the others. If your not confident pretend you are.

Best of luck to you and I hope you find employment soon! :-)

pbpersson
November 19th, 2010, 07:34 PM

I saw a special on TV, they were interviewing managers and they said they will not even consider someone who is unemployed because "there must be some reason they lost their job".

That is one of the most stupid things I have ever heard.

We are in the midst of the worst recession since the 1930's. Of course there is some reason why they lost their job......DUH.

LowSky
November 19th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I saw a special on TV, they were interviewing managers and they said they will not even consider someone who is unemployed because "there must be some reason they lost their job".

We are in the midst of the worst recession since the 1930's. Of course there is some reason why they lost their job......DUH.

Yes its a recession but companies still want the best talent, and for the most part the best talent kept their jobs. The people who were let go was because their companies knew they could function without them.

So being a hiring manager who would you want the person who was doing 3-4 jobs because their company had to downsize, or do you hire one of the 2-3 guys who were fired because their production wasn't seen as par to the one they kept. I know it sounds wrong but companies want the most production for the lowest dollar.

nothingspecial
November 19th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Yes its a recession but companies still want the best talent, and for the most part the best talent kept their jobs. The people who were let go was because their companies knew they could function without them.

So being a hiring manager who would you want the person who was doing 3-4 jobs because their company had to downsize, or do you hire one of the 2-3 guys who were fired because their production wasn't seen as par to the one they kept. I know it sounds wrong but companies want the most production for the lowest dollar.

What about the companies that went bust?

Dragonbite
November 19th, 2010, 09:02 PM

True, possibly not for the fact that you have one, but when you have one you come across as more confident and less "desperate" because if this doesn't work, meh.. you'll wait until the right one comes along. If they want you, they best act on it or you could go anywhere anytime, or decide to stick with your current company.

I was glad that when I lost my job it was due to head count reduction and not because of performance. Having that reason was a lot easier for interviewers to swallow. I have lost one job for not-so-nice reasons and it made it a LOT tougher to get past the interview.

Another benefit of dropping your resume off by hand (and maybe asking if you could talk with the HR person for a moment) you can get a feel for whether to climate is relaxed, casual or stuffy. That way if (when) you get called in for an interview, you will be able to dress appropriately.

For example, when I started here it was shirt & tie type office. I had a suit for the interview which made me "fit in" more than if I showed up in a polo or T-shirt.

Oh, and don't forget your extracurricular activities. They are great for conversation starters. On my resume, at the bottom I placed some of my memberships. During the interview they asked about my fencing which was something different than their other candidates. Not only did it help relax us, it placed a memorable "tag" in their mind ("Oh, your the fencer.") about me.

At another place I interviewed I got on the subject about Linux, which he was fooling around with at the time. While I didn't get the job (and looking back I"m not surprised), having that extra conversation was bonus-points.

lisati
November 19th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Keep the ideas and encouragement flowing, team!

One of the things I've found helpful over the years is to find something to be passionate about, and do it as well as I am able. Some of the work I've done over the last five years or so started as a hobby. People saw what I was doing, and were sufficiently impressed to give me some casual work as the need arose.

nothingspecial
November 19th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Oh, and don't forget your extracurricular activities. They are great for conversation starters. On my resume, at the bottom I placed some of my memberships. During the interview they asked about my fencing which was something different than their other candidates. Not only did it help relax us, it placed a memorable "tag" in their mind ("Oh, your the fencer.") about me.

My grandad was an arbitrator

He used to have a really long (I`m talking ZZTop) beard, long hair and drive a vintage Rolls Royce.

I asked him why once.

He said, "There are plenty of arbitrators, but when someone needs their business disputes sorting out and they don`t know any arbitrators ........ a lot of people say 'What about the guy with the beard and the Rolls Royce?'"

(You have to be very good at what you do for this to work in your favour)

markp1989
November 19th, 2010, 10:16 PM

its often they have left college or uni, and haven't found a job yet, thats what happened to me, i left college in 2007, I had some laboring jobs, but nothing permanent, I just started uni 2 months ago, as i figured having another qualification can help me, and it looks better on my cv to saying i have been at uni for the past few years rather then being long term employed, I am also currently volunteering at my local charity shop, there is 1 near me that specialize in electrical items , which gives me some experience in a loosely related field, also its some one to give me a reference in the future when i need it.