PDA

View Full Version : What is the manufacturer of your motherboard?

Christmas
April 18th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I personally have Asus P4C800E-Deluxe. Great brand, great motherboard. What about you guys/girls?

taurus
April 18th, 2006, 12:11 PM
The last two machines that I put together (AMD) are ASUS mobos. ;)

vertigo
April 18th, 2006, 12:29 PM
The machine that I'm using now has an Asrock motherboard in it, built it about 18 months ago and its not let me down.

mozetti
April 18th, 2006, 12:34 PM
MSI 865PE Neo2-LS -- great mobo, IMO. This really could be a monster - 2xSATA, 4xPATA, 800 FSB with 4 RAM slots, 6 USB ports. And the BIOS is set up for overclocking. I'm only running 1 SATA HDD, 1PATA HDD and 2xOptical PATA drives, though. Just got my CPU & Northbridge fans working with 'fancontrol' - couldn't be happier.

xyz
April 18th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Ok sorry but here is a stupid question:
how do you find out what brand one's motherboard is?
Is it similar to 'processor'?
here to learn. thanks.

Christmas
April 18th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Ok sorry but here is a stupid question:
how do you find out what brand one's motherboard is?
Is it similar to 'processor'?
here to learn. thanks.

Well the brand is probably on the motherboard. If not you can use a program to see your hardware but I don't know a linux program for that. I think it shows you in BIOS to. Don't you have a motherboard guide or a system guide? And no, it's not similar with "processor", the CPU (central processing unit or 'processor') is a chip that stand on the motherboard, fixed in socket.

ollesbrorsa
April 18th, 2006, 01:10 PM
MSI K8N NFORCE4.
A bit on the loud side until I changed the active northbridge cooling to a passive cooling solution. Works like a charm.

/ollesbrorsa

xyz
April 18th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Well the brand is probably on the motherboard. If not you can use a program to see your hardware but I don't know a linux program for that. I think it shows you in BIOS to. Don't you have a motherboard guide or a system guide? And no, it's not similar with "processor", the CPU (central processing unit or 'processor') is a chip that stand on the motherboard, fixed in socket.

Thanks 'christmas'...got it!
Intel 852GME

futz
April 19th, 2006, 04:39 AM
I voted Other. I have a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D in this box. Pulled out the Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 that was in there because of bad linux support for some of the onboard hardware.

DFI mainboards ROCK!!! :mrgreen: 8)

The other boxes here have Gigabyte boards. Excellent boards. Good bang for the buck.

DoktorSeven
April 19th, 2006, 05:03 AM
*boggles at the number of asus owners*

Every asus board I've ever gotten has been horrible. It either comes defective, or messes up within a few weeks of purchase.

Abit boards have always done well for me.

Lucho
April 19th, 2006, 05:44 AM
An interesting set of replies... I used an Asrock board for some time,
and it LOVED my dual-boot WinXP/Kurumin3.0 setup. The mobo
was slow and stupid (only accepted a 133hz for RAM and CPU), but I
never saw a board that took as much abuse as an Asrock, that still
worked fine afterward. Maybe my current Abit will reach that bar.

unbuntu
April 19th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Only allowed to select one?

I've used Intel, ASUS, and Others(Soltek), and several others whose names I don't remember anymore...

GreyFox503
April 19th, 2006, 06:07 AM

Every asus board I've ever gotten has been horrible. It either comes defective, or messes up within a few weeks of purchase.

Funny how personal experiences can differ so greatly. Asus seems like a pretty good brand to me, but I've had bad experiences with Abit.

A couple of my friends bought Asus boards that had a defective northbridge fan, and they had to have Asus ship them a new one and install it.

I have MSI myself, works fine.

DoktorSeven
April 19th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Funny how personal experiences can differ so greatly. Asus seems like a pretty good brand to me, but I've had bad experiences with Abit.

Of course, you're right; I am amazed at how different hardware behave differently for different people. I have three hardware makers that have done nothing but give me misery (Asus, ATi, and Creative) but I've seen others that have no problems at all.

Go figure.

Lovechild
April 19th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Shuttle made mine and it's absolutely wonderful - rock stable, silent and small.

GreyFox503
April 19th, 2006, 06:40 AM
I have three hardware makers that have done nothing but give me misery (Asus, ATi, and Creative) but I've seen others that have no problems at all.
Hehe. ATI and Creative, I can agree with. :)

What's interesting, though: ask your friends what brand of hard drive they like. Everybody seems to have a different opinion. Some will swear by Seagate, some like Western Digital, some avoid Hitachi like the plague....

all it takes is one bad experience to turn someone away for life.

Jason_25
April 19th, 2006, 07:10 AM
DFI and Abit here. And Intel too. I voted other because I like DFI the most.

drucer
April 19th, 2006, 07:23 AM
I've got Intel D875PBZ motherboard. I wanted especially this board and had to hunt for it. Why did I want this? Because Intel boards are extremely reliable and because this one does not have integrated audio! I don't want to have any crappy consumer level audio card integrated into motherboard, because I'm a musician and do high quality recording with my PC.

Those integrated devices tend to conflict with other similar devices sometimes even if they are disabled in BIOS - that's why it's better not to have one at all.

Well, here's a picture of my motherboard - I've given it a name - it's called 'Black diamond', because it's all black ;)

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/pix/D875PBZ_lg.jpg

mstlyevil
April 19th, 2006, 07:24 AM
DFI Infinity Nforce4 SLI

Rock solid and stable. Very overclockable bios.

mips
April 19th, 2006, 10:43 AM
In my lifetime I've had a good few computers. Of those two motherboards were Asus & one was a Epox. Those three MBs failed on me. All my other MBs (6-8) were Gigabyte and not one failed, they just got passed on or sold to other people. I even did a good few PCs for friends with Gigabyte components and so far not one failure.

My point, Gigabyte works for me :)

Mathias-K
April 19th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I voted ASUS as my current rigs are a nice Pentium M 1.60@2.60GHz + P4P800SE combo and the workstation in my sig, which has an ASRock board, but hey, they're owned by ASUS.

yatt
April 20th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I have an ASUS A8R-MVP. Sound partially works with dapper (Breezy hates my system too much to install), ethernet partially works with Windows (need to repair the connection every twenty minutes.

fuscia
April 20th, 2006, 03:26 PM
acme

FractalBrain
March 14th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I have an EPOX 570 sli motherboard with an AMD64 x2 5200 processor. Ubuntu (linux in general) seems to work, but only with "noapic" specified as a startup option. This board has no s3 function. All other functions, like the two IDE controllers, seem to work fine. -FractalBrain

bailout
March 14th, 2007, 10:26 PM
The mb in my Shuttle SFF is, unsurprisingly, made by Shuttle ;) Haven't a clue about my laptop but it is an intel chip/graphics/wireless so perhaps the mb is intel as well?

cccjpm
May 9th, 2007, 02:38 PM
GIGABYTE GA-M59SLI-S5 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2302&ProductName=GA-M59SLI-S5)

Stone123
May 9th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Asus
Not becouse they are great but becouse they are cheap and alot of them to choose from.

Eddie Wilson
May 9th, 2007, 03:19 PM

I,ve owned two Asus motherboards. They have worked well for me. Abit makes a good board too. Are the nvidia boards any good?
Eddie

NESFreak
May 9th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Shuttle made mine and it's absolutely wonderful - rock stable, silent and small.

not to forget the configurability. I can fine tune every single bit of my shuttle AN35N ultra (4 years old).

koshatnik
May 9th, 2007, 04:11 PM

Direct opposite for me. Used to build PC's years ago, and 3 PC's I built with ABit boards all died within a year, the Asus ones kept on and on. I swear by Asus. That's the strange thing about computers, it always throws up paradoxes.

bonzodog
May 9th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I have an MSI Nforce 3 socket 758 with GBLan and onboard sound. I have an AMD64 3000+ CPU, 1GB Corsair RAM, and an Nvidia Geforce 6200GT 256MB (AGP 8x) GPU plugged in to it.

If you are thinking the specs seem a little old, thats cause they are -- the 3000+ was one of the first 64 bit procs that AMD released, and it was just 2 week before the socket 939 roll-out.

I now cannot upgrade the PC without getting new RAM, GPU, and a new proc. Too expensive for me at this time.

phansiizwe
May 9th, 2007, 06:22 PM
2x ASUS: P4P800 and an older CUV4X

Outrunner
May 9th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Hey, Christmas, I also have a Asus P4C800E-Deluxe. Works well enough for me.

autocrosser
May 9th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I built a system just for Linux about a 1 1/5 ago. Asus P5P800SE MB, Intel Pent D 840 processor, One SATA drive as "storage" (300 MB), 2 ATA drives (both 250MB), 2 DVd-rw drives & 4 Gig ram. Works very well & is fast enought for me ;)

justaguynpc
May 9th, 2007, 08:20 PM
This machine has my first Asus board, and I see no weaknesses it in at all. Am quite satisfied with it.