PDA

View Full Version : Epublishing - Opinions on Jutoh or others?

neu5eeCh
November 12th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Just wondering if any among you have experience publishing E-Books? I'm going to try out Jutoh but was open to other recommendations.

theraje
November 12th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I'm not familiar with Jutoh. Is that an e-publishing firm? If you are looking to *sell* your e-book, you might also consider CreateSpace - you can sell books in digital format (on Kindle as well) and in traditional book format, too. The rates are fair (they just take a certain amount out of each sale), and you can sell your book on Amazon.com (CreateSpace is an Amazon company).

You can also publish with other outfits as you are using CreateSpace - no exclusivity clause.

If Jutoh is just an app for book layout/etc., you can try stuff like Scribus, or even OpenOffice (though I don't particularly recommend the latter - Scribus and other desktop publishing apps have much better page layout functionality).

Just out of curiosity, what's the subject of your book?

neu5eeCh
November 13th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Thanks Theraje, I want to print a new "Collected Poems". I have self-published a hard-cover but that was ten years ago and they never sold well (no publicity or advertizing). I also have a series of children's fables I'd like to publish. If you're curious as to what I write, you can visit me at Poemshape (http://poemshape.wordpress.com/).

I don't think I would need to publish anything through a third party. My own website would probably garner all the traffic I need.

Jutoh (http://www.jutoh.com/) is cross-platform software meant to aid in the creation of an E-Book. I've never tried to publish an E-Book so I don't know whether I would need Jutoh or whether there is perfectly adequate software hanging out at the Ubuntu Software Center.

theraje
November 13th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Ah, I see. Cool beans. :)

Jutoh sounds a bit like Scribus. Scribus is a nice page-layout tool that is able to export documents to PDF files. I believe it comes pre-installed on Ubuntu (at least in 10.04... if it's not already installed for you, it is in the standard repositories).

I have used it, and it works pretty well... although I have to admit that I prefer Serif PagePlus X4. Unfortunately, that particular software is Windows-only. :/