PDA

View Full Version : Javascript ternary operator: Multiple expressions possible?

Krupski
November 12th, 2010, 05:34 AM
NOTE: This is not homework and I am not a student.

Hi all,

Simple question: Is it possible to put several expressions inside a single condition when using the ternary operator in Javascript?

Normally, it's done like this:

a=10 ? a=20 : a=10;

But, what I want to do is this:

a=10 ? (a=20; b='Twenty') : (a=10, b='Ten');

See? I want to do TWO (or more) things for each condition. Is this possible in Javascript? And if so, how to do it?

The actual use for this is:

/**
* Toggle WYSIWYG / textarea
**/
function toggle(a)
{
var e = tinyMCE.get('message'); /* editor */

e.isHidden() ? e.show() : e.hide(); /* toggle show/hide */
e.isHidden() ? a.value = 'WYSIWYG' : a.value = 'Textarea'; /* toggle button label */
}

...which is called by this:

<input type="button" value="Textarea" class="button2" onclick="toggle(this);" />

What I hope to do is use only one ternary line and set BOTH "show/hide" AND "wysiwyg/textarea" at the same time.

Possible?

Thanks!

-- Roger

Reiger
November 12th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Something to that effect is certainly possible, but why in the name of all that is good sense would you choose that rather than a simple easy-to-understand if statement?

if(e.isHidden()) {
// do hidden branch
}
else {
// do shown branch
}

Krupski
November 12th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Something to that effect is certainly possible, but why in the name of all that is good sense would you choose that rather than a simple easy-to-understand if statement?

Well, I originally had if{}else{} code and whenever I see that, I get the feeling that it would be simpler to use the ternary operator.

But then when I went to write it, I found I needed to do two operations per case and just wondered if it was possible.

It was 98% curiosity. :)