PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Memory problem with Upgrading

DikaiosuneZ
November 12th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Hey all, I posted here before and everyone was quick to help, so I thought I'd give this another shot. I'm quite new to Ubuntu, so please bear with me since I may be exceptionally slow to understanding haha.

Anyways, I was trying to upgrade my version of Ubuntu since I have 9.04, and I thought I would try to give 10.04 a shot. Well, I updated all my packages that were necessary to update from the update manager and attempted to upgrade my version. At first, it was working, but once it hit the second step, I was told that I did not have enough memory, and I would need to free up around 700 MB.

I figured there would be no way to free up enough space on my computer since I have an IBM 600X, so I looked for a way to upgrade by other means. One of the things that I came across was creating a swap file on USB drive, as seen on http://mihai.bazon.net/blog/installing-ubuntu-linux-on-a-low-ram-machine. I know this article is for installing ubuntu and not upgrading, but I thought it would be able to follow the same idea.

Well, I attempted to follow the instructions, but I think I screwed up where the swap file should be created. Originally, I had 700 MB free and was needing around another 700, but now I have 0MB free and my USB drive has nothing on it. I don't know if there's any way to delete this swap or something, but any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!