PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu's Global Menu

kaldor
November 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I'm using the gnome-globalmenu (I think that's the name) panel applet right now. I'm wondering if I can install Unity's Globalmenu on Debian, since I hear Ubuntu's has more application support.

Is there a .deb anywhere for it? All I can find is the current one I am using.

And on that note, is there any feedback for Ubuntu's?

ve4cib
November 11th, 2010, 11:43 PM
I believe the new global menu in Ubuntu is part of the Unity desktop. I honestly don't know if it's possible to use it as a standard Gnome panel applet or not.

kaldor
November 11th, 2010, 11:52 PM
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/application-menu-global-menu-for-ubuntu.html

App menu, not global menu :)

I'll try this on Debian shortly.

DoubleClicker
November 12th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Appmenu works perfectly well with a standard Gnome panel, however the deb in the ubuntu repository isn't compatible with debian. You would have to get a deb from a Debian compatible source, or compile it yourself.

kaldor
November 12th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Appmenu works perfectly well with a standard Gnome panel, however the deb in the ubuntu repository isn't compatible with debian. You would have to get a deb from a Debian compatible source, or compile it yourself.

Yep, just found that out myself :(

kaldor
November 12th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Just installed it in a virtual machine running Natty. It runs really well. Lags a bit more than the one I usually use but that may just be virtualbox.

Tibuda
November 12th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I have it installed on Arch, but I will only use it when it supports OpenOffice, Firefox and Chromium.

Linye
November 12th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I have it installed on Arch, but I will only use it when it supports OpenOffice, Firefox and Chromium.

Chromium? It doesn't have a menu bar.

ve4cib
November 12th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I stand corrected. I just installed the notification-appmenu applet. Nice to finally have global menu support for Qt applications. I remember reading that xulRunner support was being worked-on (so it'll work with Firefox).

I just wish that you could have the indicator appmenu show the application icon the way gnome2-globalmenu does.

kaldor
November 12th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I stand corrected. I just installed the notification-appmenu applet. Nice to finally have global menu support for Qt applications. I remember reading that xulRunner support was being worked-on (so it'll work with Firefox).

I just wish that you could have the indicator appmenu show the application icon the way gnome2-globalmenu does.

Good to know Firefox will be supported soon enough. Maybe by 11.04?

I'd like to show the Application's name as well so I know which menu it is that I am using. I miss it a lot :(