PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What's the "empty trash" command?

damnated
November 11th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Basically I want the same thing this guy did http://wwww.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89638 .
Mind you, the trash isn't under ~/.Trash anymore, and I have no idea where it is TBH. So basically I need the location of the Trash in lucid, I presume the actual emptying command will work.

sisco311
November 11th, 2010, 11:13 PM
It's ~/.local/share/Trash/

So you have to run:

rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash/*

damnated
November 11th, 2010, 11:23 PM
That's not it, for one running the script on a non-empty trash doesn't do anything, and second, opening that folder confirms that it is empty, no hidden files either.

sisco311
November 11th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Well, if the deleted files were on another partition then the trash should be under path/to/partition/.Trash or path/to/partition/.Trash-$uid (where $uid is the user id of the user who deleted the files). See: http://www.ramendik.ru/docs/trashspec.html

Anyway, if you install the trash-cli package, you can empty the trash with:

empty-trash

damnated
November 11th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I have only one partition on my file system and I have files in the trash that were originally on said file system. Yet the folder
~/.local/share/Trash is empty.

EDIT: Ha, it did empty the trash, but the icon didn't change to the "empty bin" icon. Kinda weird. Also
empty-trash empties the trash as well, but for some reason the icon still wont update, what's even worse is if I hover over it, it says "8 items in Trash". It doesn't change even if I right click on it, and "empty trash"....

mister_playboy
November 12th, 2010, 04:43 PM
empties the trash as well, but for some reason the icon still wont update, what's even worse is if I hover over it, it says "8 items in Trash". It doesn't change even if I right click on it, and "empty trash"....

I remember this behavior from the 8.10 days. My workaround was to delete the trash icon from the panel and re-add it when it got "stuck". :)