PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installation/Partition Help Please

-Ziggy-
November 11th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Hello.

I had problems with my old Ubuntu version,so I decided to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10. As I wanted to keep my old files I didn't choose the erase the hard disk and install option so the installation system created automatically another partition.

Now that I've installed it I want to delete my old Ubuntu version AND keep my old files, or at least the most important ones (videogames saved games, openoffice documents, music and video).

BUT there's one big problem, I can't start the old partition, if I try to run it it runs OK except that I don't see anything in the screen (yes, I listen to the Ubuntu start sound and so, but can't see anything). It happend before, that's why I changed it.

Could someone help me please? I'd really thank you if you use an easy language as I don't know much about computers.

houseworkshy
November 11th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I had a problem with someone elses machine which though not the same was similar, ( white screen of death after password ) which I couldn't fix. Also needed to move files. So I dodged it all together. There is a linux distro which can be loaded to ram called puppy linux:- http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm
You could get an iso of it, burn it to disk with the side that works and then boot from it in the live cd mode. With luck that should see both partitions and allow you to copy files from one to the other. There is bound to be some way of sorting it out by mending it but I don't know it and sometimes it is just simpler to cut the knot than spend hours figuring out how to untie it.
On second thoughts you already have an ubuntu cd. You could use that in live mode to the same effect. Live as in "try ubuntu without changeing your system" or words to that effect.

-Ziggy-
November 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I had a problem with someone elses machine which though not the same was similar, ( white screen of death after password ) which I couldn't fix. Also needed to move files. So I dodged it all together. There is a linux distro which can be loaded to ram called puppy linux:- http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm
You could get an iso of it, burn it to disk with the side that works and then boot from it in the live cd mode. With luck that should see both partitions and allow you to copy files from one to the other. There is bound to be some way of sorting it out by mending it but I don't know it and sometimes it is just simpler to cut the knot than spend hours figuring out how to untie it.
On second thoughts you already have an ubuntu cd. You could use that in live mode to the same effect. Live as in "try ubuntu without changeing your system" or words to that effect.

Thank you, your Live CD Idea worked just great. Here's what I did to solve the problem:

1- I started with live CD.
2- I copyed all the important files from one partition to an external HDD.
3- I installed Ubuntu choosing the "erase disk and install Ubuntu option"
4- I copy-pasted the files from the external HDD to the internal HDD.

Thank you again for yout help.