PDA

View Full Version : Need a new PC!

IL TRIVELLA
November 11th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Hello everyone, I have to buy a new laptop because my old laptop, an Acer Aspire 5735 has run its course, is not thing that I do every day (for me) to buy a laptop, I wish I can get from you a good suggestion, for quality, price, and performance, please note that I am now a Linux user for some time, so if I buy a new PC, I will start immediately with a version of Ubuntu, Windows does not interest me anymore, I just can not understand what is the best brand and more reliable, because the network can be seen by looking at many reviews of many different people, some say, Apple, which some say Sony Vaio, Fujitsu Siemens, Toshiba, HP, Dell, and I could go on, but what is really the best brand in the world? According to statistics who sits on the head?
The use I make of the pc being a leader animation, working, talking and writing to create documents and documents of calculation (example Word and Excel), check email and send it and create materials for shows and programming, such as posters, charts and other odd jobs in private instead I use the computer to go online, Facebook, many sites and forums, download files with programs peer2peer, watching movies and listening to music, do not use it to play but if he had the power to can run some nice game, I would not mind, now even the most worst game cannot run good on my laptop.
So after all this said what do you recommend? I must say that I'm thinking at the Mac, but it costs too much, and what gives you more than the normal computer? It takes no virus? Ubuntu does not even take them with, what else would have special? Looking at Apple site they will sell a computer with the basic components that already costs a lot, then you should spend a lot of money for applications, programs, and other components, such as cables and mouse, only the mouse costs 70 euro, 70 euro a mouse???
I am happy with Ubuntu, all free, a system which is updated every six months and lots of support, as everyone should do.
I must add that I would like a nice computer to look at, perhaps colored, and not like all the other completely black, and maybe a computer that only give you a look at the idea of being tough and not a computer that is made of bad plastic, like my Acer gives me this impression, plastic s**t, I have seen the HP and they look really strong, and if I'm not mistaken I think they are made with aluminum plates, and strength and are also guaranteed to look beautiful and colorful.
So really what do you recommend? Keep in mind that I do not sail in the gold quite the contrary so I try not top of the line, but an excellent computer, powerful, beautiful and at a reasonable price.

Thank you all for your attention and I hope that after writing so someone answer me =) Hello everyone ...

Lancro
November 11th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I prefer dell ones, and they are customizable, but make your own choice, look and compare.

kaldor
November 11th, 2010, 10:00 PM
- If you don't mind paying a lot, get a MacBook and dual boot with OS X. MacBooks are loaded with some really good preinstalled software and there IS lots of FOSS available. It even has Ports.

- System76 and Zareason have wonderful Ubuntu-based laptops. Zareason even has other distros pre-configured like Fedora and Debian.

- My laptop is an HP Pavilion dv2817ca and it supports Linux very well.

- Dell has some Ubuntu-ready computers for sale.

- Thinkpads are said to have very good Linux compatibility.

If you want a portable computer, don't go any larger than 14 inches. 15 inches is cumbersome. I have a friend with an 18 inch 12-pound Toshiba which is painful to use.

samalex
November 11th, 2010, 10:20 PM
System76 is who I'd suggest, plus the support staff at System76 has a forum here on Ubuntu Forums and is always just a post away when you have questions. Also there's a large group of System76 users, including me, who frequent the forum and can help in answering questions as they come-up as well.

This was one of the large selling points for me to use System76. Laptop is over a year old and works great. Webcam did quit working, but it was still under warranty and I opted not to send it in since I didn't want to go however long without my laptop.

Sam

drawkcab
November 11th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Before buying a Sys76 I would look at ZaReason.
Before buying a ZaReason I would look at powernotebooks.com

^^ Their "powerpro" (cheesy, I know) notebooks are just re-branded Asus, MSI, Sager and Compal notebooks which are generally of very high quality. You can customize them, select "no OS" and they'll give you a free three-year warranty.

Look out because website is a little Rex Kwon Do meets Jesus meets Ted Nugent, but I've bought from this company twice and they've been really great to me.

http://www.powernotebooks.com/

weasel fierce
November 12th, 2010, 03:18 AM
System 76 gets good reviews.

I havent had any problems with stuff I've bought from Dell, but supposedly their customer service is horrendous.

If you work for a corporation of any size, check if you get a company discount anywhere

johntaylor1887
November 12th, 2010, 03:24 AM
If you have a few extra dollars to spend for quality, I recommend Lenovo. (formerly IBM) They even have an enterprise laptop with Suse preconfigured, but it will be compatible with most distros.

smellyman
November 12th, 2010, 05:20 AM
The OP is from Italy so system76 isn't an option. It looks like Zareason does international though...

Windows Nerd
November 12th, 2010, 06:16 AM
System 76 gets good reviews.

I havent had any problems with stuff I've bought from Dell, but supposedly their customer service is horrendous.

If you work for a corporation of any size, check if you get a company discount anywhere
Dell customer service is horrendous. Just look up some videos of some people on Youtube who have to deal with customer service after they order their pc, Dell says in one place that it will come in a week, but it actually takes them a month or more to get it.

Anyhow:

The most important things to look at when buying a laptop, especially as a Linux user:

-the wireless card: please, for the love of all the other users on Linux forums, get a wireless card that is supported perfectly under Linux. You will be thankful. In addition, if you plan on doing any wireless pentesting or do that kind of thing (which if you do you would probably not be posting this thread), make sure you get a card that supports that stuff too (monitor mode/injection).

-Hard drive space: Unless your laptop is your primary computer and you do not have any backup drives, network drives, ect, you really don't need 500GB of space on a laptop. Unless you know for sure that you will fully use the 500GB of space, don't bother spending the extra buck for something you do not need. Now this being said, if the laptop is a great deal and it has everything in a laptop you want, and just happens to have a huge hard drive in it, by all means go for the laptop. Just don't worry too much on the storage space as a very big factor in making a decision between one laptop or another.

-Ports: If you (like me) use your laptop to play movies on your tv because you have all your in electronic form, you may want to consider the video-out ports. For example if your tv has an HDMI-in, get a laptop with an HDMI-out (HDMI is very preferred because it also sends the sound to the TV as well, eliminating the need for a sound wire). In addition, if you have a firewire drive, you should consider if it has a firewire port.

-Keyboard: This is important: do you like the layout of the keyboard on the laptop? Though some people just don't care, I know personally for me I get just plain pissed of when I use a laptop keyboard that has a weird layout (for example, I had to help a friend of mine fix his laptop three weeks ago that had a very small shift key and a fn key squished in the space taken up by a normal shift key. It plain pissed me of when I was trying to type anything caps).

-Graphics: A laptop does not usually have a dedicated graphics card. However, if you want to play some decent games with your laptop, make sure you get a laptop with an nvidia graphics solution of some sort, as nvidia is currently the best for gaming on Linux.

RAM: most laptop these days comes with about 4 gigs of RAM. Unless you do a lot of photo editing or video editing or heavy media applications, this should be more than enough.

Processor: You planned to do some programming. However, unless you are doing some heavy programming or otherwise doing lots of number-crunching tasks, most CPUs in laptops these days is enough. If you really want to, get one with a quad core. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

That should be it for things to think about when buying a laptop.

You were asking which brand of laptop is the best brand. I cannot answer this, but I can say this: do your research before you buy, and make sure you get what you need in a laptop. the reason I cannot say which brand is the best is because there is no "best brand"; everyone has a different opinion and sometimes a certain brand of computer can make different quality products, and some products have some problems with them and are ficed on later runs, etc. The point is to go with brands that you have had good experiences with, and that you trust.

Scott

IL TRIVELLA
November 12th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Hey guys what you think about this http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xps-15?c=it&l=it&s=dhs&cs=itdhs1&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=1&~ck=dellSearch is this for 849 euro...

Dr. C
November 12th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I would take a good look at business as opposed to consumer line of laptops. Some come with good GNU / Linux support for example the HP Probook line. http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/it/it/sm/WF04a/321957-321957-64295-3955552-3955552.html

Spr0k3t
November 12th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I would take a good look at business as opposed to consumer line of laptops. Some come with good GNU / Linux support for example the HP Probook line.

When looking for a new laptop with the specific interest in making sure the laptop has the most compatibility with Linux in general, I would not even look at the consumer laptops. The exception to that rule are companies such as ZaReason, System76, among others. The business line of most laptops are more robust in build and better electronic/components. My least favorite of all laptops out there are Acer and Gateway... the boards are cheap and the power adapters are fragile.