PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Eee netbook install problems

M0d1
November 11th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I have searched the forums and even tried an advanced search but I have not found a solution to this problem.

I was running a Eee pc with Windows 7 starter but after a faulty hard drive, my fiance had something to do with that :P, I decided to switch over to Ubuntu 10.10 netbook (I have replaced the hard drive and everything seems to be working normally). I am able to boot from a usb drive and run Ubuntu from the USB drive. The problem that I am facing is that when I install Ubuntu it tries to read my cd-rom for more files and then gives me an apt configuration error.

I have downloaded the kernel twice and have tried with both unetbootin and universal usb creator so i do not think that it is a bad download error. I have tried persistent and non persistent usb drives and have even tried to add a snippet of code to the install that reads "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true". Nothing seems to work and I just am hoping for a little help from the Ubuntu community :).

I am more than willing to answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Thank you

M0d1
November 14th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Well, I hate to bump my post but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I can buy and external cd-drive and install from an iso but I was hoping to find a way to install from my usb. Any help would be appreciated.

Jechem
November 14th, 2010, 12:41 PM
what EEE do you have? you can get help from here also. http://forum.eeeuser.com/ help here are more EEE specific.
check this also if this is related to your problem http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1615558

M0d1
November 15th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Thank you for input :).

I have a EEE pc 1005Hab.

Processor Intel Atom N270 / 1.6 GHz.
Hard Drive 160.0 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400.0 rpm.

That ubuntu forums thread did not really help. I have started to read through the EEEpc forums and I will post in here if I find a solution. I do not think it is a hardware issue. I think that it keeps trying to get files from a cd rom drive that is nonexistant. I think that it is just a simple coding problem but I do not know exactly what to change or where to go to change it. I have never messed with kernels before with my programming.

Jechem
November 15th, 2010, 03:15 AM
bthomson ( http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=89835 ) has installed 10.10 on his 1005hab but he has problems with his internal mic. Have you tried 10.04? maybe 10.10 has some incompatibility issues with your hard drive.

M0d1
November 18th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I decided against trying to install it from a USB drive and instead bought an external dvd drive and installed it that way. It proves that it wasn't my hard drive just a code issue in the kernel.

I would still like to figure out a solution to the problem just in case I ever want to install from a USB.

Hawkoon
November 18th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I would still like to figure out a solution to the problem just in case I ever want to install from a USB.

I installed 10.04 on my Eee901 from a USB live stick, no problems except for flaky wifi+wpa2 connenction. I used the Netbook ISO version to make the USB stick. I never tried it with the standard desktop or the alternate ISO versions. Did you try out all the ISO versions?

EDIT: I can only boot my live stick when made NON-persistent. Never figured out why.

movieman
November 18th, 2010, 11:59 PM
bthomson ( http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=89835 ) has installed 10.10 on his 1005hab but he has problems with his internal mic

10.10 seems to work perfectly on my 1005HAB, though I haven't tried the microphone. I installed from an external DVD-ROM drive too.

Jechem
November 19th, 2010, 03:07 AM
10.10 seems to work perfectly on my 1005HAB, though I haven't tried the microphone. I installed from an external DVD-ROM drive too.

looks like its a hit and miss for 10.10. I tried it also on my 701 4G everything worked but it slowed down after a while. maybe coz my cpu can't keep up so I went back to 10.04.

galvatron408
November 19th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I installed via kickstart and it worked well too. I have an eee pc 1000.

M0d1
November 19th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I used the Netbook ISO version to make the USB stick. I never tried it with the standard desktop or the alternate ISO versions.

I actually did try with the standard desktop version and had the same problem. The funny thing is that I used the same ISO that I installed for the the USB on the cd but since I actually had an external cd drive connected it was able to grab the files instead of giving me an error and crashing.

Side note: aptitude is freaking awesome. I had a friend that is studying to be software engineer look at my netbook to help me install java and php for some classes i am working on. He showed me aptitude in the terminal and it makes life a lot easier.