PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Matlab R2010b is not working!!!!!!!!

sherbieny
November 11th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and my first issue with ubuntu 10.10

I installed matlab Unix R2010b which was on an image file and the installation went smoothly
except that I chose the custom installation and during the installation steps it didn't ask me "Create symbolick links to MATLAB scripts" it just went from the installation directory to INSTALL

so after so many trials I managed to create a desktop Icon using
[sudo wget http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Matlab_Logo.png -O /usr/share/icons/matlab.png]

and
[sudo wget 'https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MATLAB?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=matlab-r2010b.desktop' -O /usr/share/applications/matlab.desktop]

anyway I tried many command lines in the terminal and all failed telling me (bash: ..... Permission denied)

and when I used the desktop icon that I downloaded and properly linked to the matlab file inside the /bin directory it gave me this: (Details: Failed to execute child process "/media/86D061A9D061A063/Matlab/R2010b/bin/matlab" (Permission denied))

also I changed my account to administrator so that I would have the permission but it didn't change a thing

so Please help me with this because I need to work on matlab for my graduation project and I'm new to ubuntu so please try to be clear

sherbieny
November 13th, 2010, 05:41 PM
People!!!

is there no one here had this problem or does know the solution

please guys help me out

marin123
November 13th, 2010, 05:53 PM
try installing octave and qt-octave.. its almost the same thing...

sherbieny
November 14th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Does Octave do the same functions of Matlab?

and whats qt -octave?

anyone who knows the issue with matlab ?

marin123
November 14th, 2010, 09:01 PM
qt-octave is a graphical frontend for octave (it looks exactly like matlab). as far as i have used it, octave has the same syntax like matlab and can even run m-files.

a36233
December 6th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Octave doesn't have high-end tools like matlab (eg. sisotool, simulink, and so on...) for basic purposes it does the same things and it's free ;)

I have matlab r2010b instaled and I can start it normally with no problem, if you start it outside of terminal you need to add -desktop flag (eg shortcuts)

Try to reinstall it follow the install manuals.

jakkamgirish
December 24th, 2010, 06:54 AM
if i used wine its not working ... how can i use malab i hav many projects to work on !