PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to Begin?

kaiser0792
November 11th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Best Way to Get Started?
VM's -- Determining the best way to go.
Hello. I am new to Ubuntu. I have a PC running Windows 7. I tried to run Ubuntu with VMWare and had multiple problems, printing, sound, CDROM, etc. I uninstalled VMWare and have read some discussion here that seems to favor VirtualBox or KVM.

I'm a computer engineer student and I am going to have to write and compile C++ programs on a Linux based system. I've never worked with Linux and I would like to know the best combination to run a virtual Linux-based OS that I can download a decent C++ compiler on and also be able to use my printer, sound card and CDROM drive while working on the Linux-based system. Which VM should I use and which version of Ubuntu would you guys recommend? Are there any "tricks" or specific things that I should know as I set the system up? Thanks for any and all help.

By the way, my PC has an AMD II x4 635 Processor and my Windows 7 is 64-Bit.

CharlesA
November 11th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Try using VirtualBox. I know VMware and VBox are pretty close, but I've not really used VMware all that much.

You should be able to virtualize fine in VBox on a Win7 machine.

VMware player would probably work too.

I've got a few VMs of the desktop edition of 10.04 and 10.10 that I use off and on, along with a few 10.04 server VMs.

Stercus accidit
November 11th, 2010, 07:23 PM
As a fellow engineer, electrical engineer, I would suggest trying again with VM player and Ubuntu 9.10. If you try using any later version of Ubuntu you risk having the same problems all over again, but for your purpose that should work just fine.