PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Does Alternative CD installation support netbook?

zhaotianwu
November 11th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I want to install Ubuntu 10.04 using Alternative CD, but I didn't find an ISO file that is dedicated to netbook, how to deal with that?

tommcd
November 11th, 2010, 06:28 AM
The alternate install CD supports everything that the desktop CD supports. It is in fact the same operating system. The only difference is that it is a text based installer, very similar to a Debian install CD.
If you are talking about the Ubuntu netbook version, I don't believe there is an alternate CD for that.

zhaotianwu
November 11th, 2010, 08:22 AM
The alternate install CD supports everything that the desktop CD supports. It is in fact the same operating system. The only difference is that it is a text based installer, very similar to a Debian install CD.
If you are talking about the Ubuntu netbook version, I don't believe there is an alternate CD for that.

Yes I'm talking about Ubuntu netbook version, and mine is a Samsung N310 netbook. I want to use alternate install CD because only that allows me to encrypt my system partition with LUKS. Is it attainable with my situation? Thanks.

tommcd
November 12th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Yes I'm talking about Ubuntu netbook version, and mine is a Samsung N310 netbook. I want to use alternate install CD because only that allows me to encrypt my system partition with LUKS. Is it attainable with my situation? Thanks.
As far as I know there is no alternate install CD for the Ubuntu netbook version. At least I have not found one after poking around ubutnu.com.

zhaotianwu
November 12th, 2010, 07:58 AM
As far as I know there is no alternate install CD for the Ubuntu netbook version. At least I have not found one after poking around ubutnu.com.

In that case can I just use ubuntu-10.10-alternate-i386.iso for my netbook? I don't care if it is specifically designed for netbook or not, as long as it works. And I've already tried ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386, which works fine on my netbook, does it mean the alternate will also be ok? Thanks.

tommcd
November 13th, 2010, 06:42 AM
In that case can I just use ubuntu-10.10-alternate-i386.iso for my netbook? ... I've already tried ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386, which works fine on my netbook, does it mean the alternate will also be ok?
The Ubuntu desktop live CD and the alternate install CD will install the same exact system. If the live CD worked ok, then the alternate install CD will work just as well.