PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] I have a bad sector problem...

Flash Kid
November 11th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Hello, all! It's been a while since I've posted here (mostly because I've been reverting back to Window$, but as of right now, my Window$ computer is not working apparently because of a bad CPU :'( I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do about that.)

Anyway...

So, I'm running a pretty weird configuration here...

I'm running Ubuntu [Studio package added on later] 9.10 (I refuse to upgrade to 10.04 because it's given me nothing but problems) on a Toshiba Satellite laptop from 2002. I figured since the laptop is so old, it would run Ubuntu fine and give the computer some good use. I was correct :) I used Ubuntu on the laptop for about 6 months because my Windows computer was having hard drive trouble at the time. However, now it seems that my laptop is having hard drive trouble. After a while, the good ole' "Your Hard Disk May Be Failing" message began to pop up. I figured this was a bug because I would run the Live CD on friend's laptops and my own desktop and see the same error. However, it turns out that it wasn't fooling. Every once in a while, my icons would disappear, the computer would freeze, the mouse wouldn't function, the works... So, I looked at the SMART data and it turns out I have 558 bad sectors-- Yikes!

I was wondering if any gurus here would know of a great way to either
A) Kill these sectors like bees to RAID
B) Reinstall Ubuntu 9.10 without having to go through the trouble of searching through everything that I would need backed up
C) Resolving a possible hidden problem that would cause the illusion of bad sectors.

I'm open to doing any type of testing needed to get to the bottom of the problem. I'm just not very good at Linux commands and so I have no idea what to do. :S

Thank you all so much in advance, I really appreciate the helpfulness of this community.

FK