PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst pain you've ever been in?

devondashla
November 11th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Right now, I am having in inner and outer ear infection in my left ear. I had to go to the doctor's earlier to get prescribed, but it took them so long i was crying in pain in the waiting room. I have never had an ear infection before, and hopefully never again.

Yours?

Whiteice
November 11th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Kidney stones. By far the worst pain ever. I refuse to vomit now because I associate vomiting with kidney stone pains, its that bad.

KiwiNZ
November 11th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Kidney stones. By far the worst pain ever. I refuse to vomit now because I associate vomiting with kidney stone pains, its that bad.

The Renal Colic associated with Kidney stones is regarded as one of the worst pains man can suffer as it is very very severe and prolonged.

czr114
November 11th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Cluster headaches.

Dobbie03
November 11th, 2010, 03:57 AM
My back seized one evening while I was in the car, I literally had to roll myself out of the car seat on to the footpath to get out of it, I am too heavy for my wife to lift so I had to drag myself inside, I wasn't crying but I had tears of pain. Other than that I have been lucky.

Austin25
November 11th, 2010, 03:59 AM
I would say the time I sprained my right wrist and when I broke my left arm hurt the same, but they would both be the worst physical pain that I was in that I can think of.

GabrielYYZ
November 11th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Right now, I am having in inner and outer ear infection in my left ear. I had to go to the doctor's earlier to get prescribed, but it took them so long i was crying in pain in the waiting room. I have never had an ear infection before, and hopefully never again.

Yours?

the last line of your post and your sig have been making me laugh for the past 15 minutes... :lolflag:

Yours? __________________
...in the pants.

on topic: for me the worst pain was a wisdom teeth extraction after the anesthesia apparently vanished from reality as i know it, it literally stopped working right before the extraction.

robert shearer
November 11th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Kidney stones. :( :(

jcolyn
November 11th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Kidney stones here too.

Doctor had to use ultrasound to break it up. I passed 18 stones over the course of 2 days..

I drink cranberry juice everyday now to keep calcium from building up on the inside kidney walls..

Dustin2128
November 11th, 2010, 04:27 AM
ear infection as well.

Ric_NYC
November 11th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Childbirth or kidney stones more painful?

mamamia88
November 11th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Charlie Horse in legs

wilee-nilee
November 11th, 2010, 04:33 AM
My back seized one evening while I was in the car, I literally had to roll myself out of the car seat on to the footpath to get out of it, I am too heavy for my wife to lift so I had to drag myself inside, I wasn't crying but I had tears of pain. Other than that I have been lucky.

Rumor has it that it is okay for a man to cry, let go man give a try.;)

Worse pain I have had was a abscessed tooth. This in contrast to the injuries from a head on collision that broke bones not fixable in my left hand, a dislocated ankle and hip and hitting the steering wheel at 45 mph while the truck that hit me drove over the top of my car.

When the fire dept got there I was unconscious the car was on fire and they had to use the jaws of life to extract me, good pain meds though. Nothing like a morphine drip and a 10 min trigger to keep you pretty much incoherent, nor remembering much of anything.

Ric_NYC
November 11th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I had a terrible ear infection when I was a kid.

It's too close to the brain... That's why I think it is one of the most painful... :)

jeffathehutt
November 11th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Kidney stones or gall stones. When I had kidney stones it was like someone was holding a blowtorch to my lower abdomen for eight hours. Gall stones were more like a knife stabbing at my upper abdomen. I'm not sure which was more painful because both left me crawling around barely able to breathe. :(

I once talked to a nurse who had kidney stones, and she said kidney stones were actually more painful than child birth for her.

KiwiNZ
November 11th, 2010, 04:57 AM

Whilst child birth pain is bad , it comes in waves. Renal Colic is constant and very severe. There is two types of Renal Colic pain , Peristaltic which is a wave form and a constant , the later being the more prevalent and the worse. Most concur that Renal Colic is the worst pain that can be experienced, then Child Birth then Bone pain.

Brix57
November 11th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Watching my right foot being pulled into a machine and listening to the bones breaking. Then to top matters off, I had to tell my co-workers how to reverse the conveyor belt three phase motor to get my foot out. After getting my foot out, the blood rushing back in to the crushed areas of the foot had me screaming.

Simian Man
November 11th, 2010, 05:02 AM
While working in a restaurant once I was sprayed by a hose spewing hot grease in the face. I couldn't see for an hour and it was tremendously painful. I thought I would be disfigured, but luckily not :).

handy
November 11th, 2010, 05:02 AM
I've had some serious injuries & not all at the same time; shattered right knee, badly dislocated left arm (lots of tearing), crushed right wrist (shortened 1.5"), 4 dislocated fingers right hand, smashed face - hole in skull - multiple 4" fractures in skull - smashed left orbit - nose gone - both cheeks multi-fractured - palate smashed - both mandibles fractured - a couple of teeth gone - hole in side of face into the oral cavity & other stuff.

No pain was as bad as the nerve in a tooth, 6 year old molar, that ate itself.

It of course started the meal on a Friday evening. I ended up at the hospital twice, the 2nd time (Sunday) they took my blood pressure & knew that I was in truly severe pain, so the good Dr. came & gave me a shot of morphine. :D

After which I was aware that my father was beside the bed, my body was in the bed, but I was just 6" to the right in ancient Egypt!

Ancient Egypt was a great experience, but no way was it worth that amount of pain to get there.

lisati
November 11th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I'm cycling between a broken ankle, a tooth that broke, getting dental work when the anasthetic wasn't strong enough and a heart attack. And that <adjectives deleted> bicycle that my thoughts are riding is nothing compared to the above.

oldsoundguy
November 11th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Recovery from open heart surgery.

They split your rib cage from collar bone THROUGH your sternum and pry you open to get to your heart. the process puts micro fractures into EVERY RIB.
While your lungs are shut down, they start to get fluids in them. When you wake up you have to COUGH those fluids out. The pain lasts for several WEEKS.

But they save your life.

KiwiNZ
November 11th, 2010, 05:08 AM
The condition I have that has put me in a Wheel Chair has caused considerable pain since 2005. However what caused me more pain is what I saw after the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami.

Dobbie03
November 11th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Rumor has it that it is okay for a man to cry, let go man give a try.;)

Ok I have never cried before but next time the opportunity comes about I will give it a shot. :)

lisati
November 11th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Recovery from open heart surgery.

They split your rib cage from collar bone THROUGH your sternum and pry you open to get to your heart. the process puts micro fractures into EVERY RIB.
While your lungs are shut down, they start to get fluids in them. When you wake up you have to COUGH those fluids out. The pain lasts for several WEEKS.

But they save your life.

I am thankful that I didn't experience that when I ended up in the cardiac ward a couple of years ago. I just remembered a checkup a few months later, where I was expected to give my best on a treadmill that kept on speeding up. That was an experience and a half, helped slightly by mild amusement at thoughts of catching a virus from the monitoring system which was clearly running some version of XP. The things we do to stay healthy!

hhh
November 11th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Smashed in the face with a vodka bottle (he thought I was someone else), drove myself to the hospital. 13 hours in ER because I have no insurance. Blood everywhere.

Chicks dig scars.

Khakilang
November 11th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I had quite a few pain due to accident injuries, wounds and tooth infection through my young life. Toothache when I was little. I would cry the whole night. Got it sorted out when I grow up. Fell on an ice skating ring and knock my head against the icy floor. Pass out for a good 3 minutes. When my friend brought me up, my head was swinging. Luckily there was no bleeding or any internal injury just swollen a bit. Got beaten up by a gang in school and my body was full of pain. Twist my ankle playing soccer. Fell off a bicycle from speeding down hill. Fell into a river and almost drown with mouth and sand in my mouth. Biten by an insect which infected my whole body. Now I am immune to pain. I just have to put my mind some where else.

Whistling Nixie
November 11th, 2010, 05:45 AM
The worst pain I've ever felt was in 1982 (age 8 or so). A thorn from a fallen palm leaf snapped off in the top of my right foot as I was cycling over it. After a feeble attempt to remove it at home, my parents took me to the medical centre, where the doctor removed it without anaesthetic. Apparently the needle to administer the anaesthesia would've been (even) more painful, hence his decision to do it that way.

sidzen
November 11th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Divorce
But maybe I'm being sarcastic and nobody knows it!
LOL

|{urse
November 11th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Tonight was. When i stepped on a bent?! sewing needle stuck in the carpet that went directly up the middle of my right heel, the needle went in aboooot 3/4 of the way. I pulled it w/ my sons toy pliers which were suspiciously laying beside me on the couch. I dropped about 6 50megaton f words. The end that went in wasnt the point end but the end that you put thread through.

handy
November 11th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Now I am immune to pain. I just have to put my mind some where else.

I good with that as well. Though if the pain is in my head & is severe, I can't get away from it. :(

Khakilang
November 11th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Though if the pain is in my head & is severe, I can't get away from it. :(

Easy, take a sleeping pill and sleep through it. Just don't get hook on drugs.
:guitar:

fuzzyworbles
November 11th, 2010, 06:28 AM
appendicitis. ever puked from pain? appendicitis. if anybody ever says, "hmm.. i think i might have appendicitis" slap 'em. there's no such thing as being unsure about an organ's attempt at killing it's host.

V for Vincent
November 11th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I've had an ear infection before, but it was still bearable. Worst pain is also ear-related, though. In high school, we had to go swimming once a week. Once, the teacher wanted us to dive down and equalize pressure on our ear drums. Something went very wrong, there. Don't have the medical explanation, but I came back up in agony. Luckily, it only lasted for a few minutes and then dissipated.

Quadunit404
November 11th, 2010, 06:45 AM
A tough decision between a biking accident back in September 2003 and an injury to the long thoracic nerve in my right shoulder back in 2008... both hurt like hell.

Although I suppose the biking accident was worse, as my entire body was covered with blood, several teeth were chipped, part of my inner lip came loose and formed some odd rectangular chunk of flesh (it healed on its own eventually) and left the area under my nose permanently disfigured. I had to stay out of school for at least two months to recover, could not play any games, had difficulty walking, had to drink through a straw and could not eat solid foods without straining myself. Amazingly beyond the teeth not a single bone in my body broke (teeth are considered bones.)

Oh, and it took us three hospitals and at least six hours before we found someone who could perform plastic surgery on my face. The plastic surgeon who performed the procedure was at that third hospital (because, y'know, third time's the charm.)

I can just barely remember getting up after struggling to get the bike off of me (which I did) and trying to head back to my own house... just barely. I hope that none of you had to go or have had to go through what I did all those years ago.

bigsmitty64
November 11th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I remember sitting in the emergency room with my wife, while she went through the kidney stone experience, (we had already had 3 children at the time). She informed me later that she would rather have 5 more kids in one day than ever go through another kidney stone.
3 years later it was me on the operating table getting them removed. I can't accurately describe what I felt leading up to the operation, other than to say it was three or four days of flank pain that feels like someone stabbing you from the inside out, combined with the feeling that you haven't urinated for a day or so, and then when you do go its a couple drops. Needless to say I was dropped to my knees more than once. And yes, I cried.....like a 2 year old. I ended up with a stent in place for a week following the removal of that stone......good times :)
To sum it up, I was cut with a chainsaw when I was 18 , but if I had to choose between the 2, I'll buy the gas.

handy
November 11th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Easy, take a sleeping pill and sleep through it. Just don't get hook on drugs.
:guitar:

No, I don't mean a seriously bad headache, I mean seriously extreme pain.

Apart from that, sleeping pills don't work on me for some reason.

Evil-Ernie
November 11th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I had a tension-pneumothorax (where the lung completely collapses) which was pushing into my heart and I had to have an emergency op while still fully awake and lucid where I was held down in A&E and a big fat needle was pushed into my chest in between my ribs, it wasn't very nice to put it mildly but it was that or a massive fatal heart attack! :P

My previous best was a dislocated knee in a motorbike accident I had.

blueturtl
November 11th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Hemorrhoids. Those unfamiliar to the condition, don't Google it! Believe me, you don't want to know. You wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy, it's that bad.

I was in the military, tasked outside doing heavy lifting, mid-winter while the temperature was minus 30 degrees centigrade. The officer(s) in charge couldn't care less. I was there for two weeks.

Before someone says this was my own fault, I'd like to point out military service in Finland is mandatory with the option being the penalty of either jail or community service.

wkhasintha
November 11th, 2010, 01:54 PM
My left foot got pricked by a prickle when I was around 10 Yrs old . It penetrated the foot all along.pain was just for a moment but it was excruciating , on top of that i was scared shitless having seen all the blood :P

MooPi
November 11th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Heart attack last year, followed closely by caffeine deprivation headache during my follow up stress test. I had to go 24 hours without. THE HORROR :(

zer010
November 11th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I'd have to say either a particularly bad ear infection that I was prescribed Cipro(Anthrax killer)for, or having a rather large (2 foot) shard of roofing ceramic fall on my ankle (pointed end first) from a roof, then hobbling the mile and a half back to my house. then there's the novocain that I "needed" to sew my lower lip back after being run under a 18 wheeler in a Pinto. I'd rather the stitches, without the injected anesthetic! Same for when I cut myself with a boxcutter. Got a narly scar on my ring finger from that one!

theraje
November 11th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hemorrhoids.

That's what I was thinking. I had a hemorrhoid (actually a few, but one was especially bad) last year, that hurt so bad I nearly cried from the pain every time I had to go. No cream, no OTC pain medicine, no NOTHING helped. And it also hurt a lot between bathroom visits. The pain lasted for about four months straight before a doctor put me under and surgically removed the b-tard.

The doctor commented that it was "a really mean-lookin' sucker". I felt a ton better immediately after the surgery, and the recovery went great. But that may have been due to the painkillers. :P

The doctor couldn't remove the other one(s), but they have been relatively well-behaved. Occasional flares, but nothing anywhere NEAR that bad.

Tristam Green
November 11th, 2010, 02:27 PM
It's a toss up for me.

I've been stung by a bee in the tender area of my foot.
I also have stepped on a freshly-sharpened pencil and had the lead break off in the tender part of my foot.
I suffered nasty road rash on my elbow after bouncing off the road, grass, and sidewalk upon skidding on a patch of sand at the bottom of a small hill i lived on, riding my bike around 30mph at the time.
I have slipped on an inch-thick patch of ice and hit my head on said patch, fully cracking it (luckily it broke my fall so I didn't hit my head on bare concrete).

However, I think the worst pain I ever experienced was at 4 years old, when I jumped out of the back of my father's jeep in an attempt to slide, much like a fireman would, down....a creosote-covered wood telephone pole. I received splinters over every portion of my arms, legs, and torso after I slid, maybe 2 inches.

coffee412
November 11th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I told my wife, "I think I pulled a muscle in my back". But I didnt think too much of it. I figured that in a day or two it would be better. But I couldnt figure out what I did to cause this muscle pull. Well, A day went by and it actually started to feel worse! So, I asked my wife to look at my back. I lifted my shirt and my wife looked and said "What did you do?".

I had developed a rather large sore on my back that looked like some over grown scab! Boy was it hurting too. So, I had her put some skin ointment on it and figured tomorrow it would be better.

The next day things started to get really bad. My wife looked at it again and now I had other scabs showing up. All about the size of a quarter! Now I was feeling really scared. But I didnt want my wife to freak out so I kinda treated it lightly. My wife looked at me in horror and said " We are getting you to the doctor right now!". So I made an appointment with my doctor and was lucky to actually get in that day.

The doctor looked at my back and said "Ill be right back" and left the exam room. Now I was getting very scared. I could feel a cold shiver down my back with fright. Eventually my doctor returned with a perscription pad and started writing perscriptions. When he got done I had about 5 scripts to be filled. Then he turned to me and said - "You have shingles!".

You want to talk about pain? For the next month I was in absolute pain. I had sores sprouting all over just one side of my body. I even had them appearing on my chest. I looked like a leper or something but only on one side of my body. Of the 5 scripts 4 of them were for pain. The other was an anti-biotic. The pain was so bad that I didnt even want to move. I would get up every morning, Down a bunch of pain pills and drift thru the day. Before I new it the sores had spread to my face! But always on only one side of my body. I ached everywhere and could barely even move.

Eventually, The shingles went away. But that is something I would never wish on my worst enemy. It started out feeling like a pulled muscle in my back where it started and left me feeling like like I was dying in a matter of only a few days!
:sad:

_outlawed_
November 11th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I've gotten electrocuted plenty of times, feels horrible.

handy
November 11th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Yep. Shingles hurt, no 2 ways to that one. I didn't know why I had all this intense local nerve pain, I thought it was caused by a sudden dramatic deterioration of a part of my spine, possibly due to previous injuries or something.

Then after a couple of days or so the blisters arrived & I knew what was going on. I didn't take any drugs for it, but I couldn't drive my car or lean back in a chair for weeks.

Oh the joy! :)

For all of the pain & discomfort I've experienced from time to time, I'm still eternally grateful to have had this wondrous life. :D

Gremlinzzz
November 11th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Carol broke my heart.

grahammechanical
November 11th, 2010, 03:41 PM
From reading these posts I am beginning to fill thankful that I am alive and reasonable healthy.

I have had the tooth ache, ear ache, migraine, a massive absess in the side of my left thigh that hurt with every movement of the skin and by the rubbing of my garments.

A few years ago I broke both bones in my left forearm in a car accident. I did not feel a thing. At first. I was able to lift the arm up to show a passerby who was asking if I need an ambulance that he should say my arm was broken. The front half of the forearm was hanging down! And I did not feel anything. Later a paramedic gave me some gas and I said that either it was useless or without it I would be screeming. The pain was excruciating. So he gave me liquid morphine. Then as they pushed me out of the ambulance they forgot to take the clip off my finger that was monitoring my pulse. The cable connecting the clip to the machine bent my arm back against the broke section.

Last year I had open heart surgery. I had two tubes leading out from under the rib cage to drain out the fluid. So, I did not need to cough up liquid from the lungs. I was not allowed to couch or sneeze. I had to press a rolled up towel against the rib cage to stop it expanding when breathing in. It was very painful when you did sneeze or cough, even with morphine tablets. I am thankful that I was treated in a Britsh National Health Service hospital. I would be dead by now if I had not had that operation to replace a faulty heart valve.

I had bad food poisoning that was not so painful but it made feel so ill that if I had died, I would have been glad! A different kind of pain is grief and depression. I have had both. We do not know what other people have experienced. We can use our own experiences to try to understand the suffering of others.

Regards.

DangerOnTheRanger
November 11th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Tonight was. When i stepped on a bent?! sewing needle stuck in the carpet that went directly up the middle of my right heel, the needle went in aboooot 3/4 of the way. I pulled it w/ my sons toy pliers which were suspiciously laying beside me on the couch. I dropped about 6 50megaton f words. The end that went in wasnt the point end but the end that you put thread through.

Ouch. I know what you mean.
That's happened twice to me! First time, it went through my right foot. Pulled it out, though. :)
Second time, 1/2 way through. Pulled it out again. Both times, I just yelped. I'm just one of those people. :P

Most likely candidate: Busted and bruised fingernail.
Tripped while playing street hockey. On roller skates. Without gloves.
Split my left index finger's nail in half, and sent blood spurting through the crack. It left me screaming for about 5-15 minutes, and took months to heal.

Second most likely: Electrocution.
Zapped twice by AC current. That really hurts.

Donalt2010
November 11th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I've been electrocuted before and have to say one of the worst experiences of my life so far. When I was about 8 I tore ligaments in my right ankle and the pain was unbearable my friend had to roll me down to the a&e department on a skateboard.
Reading other peoples stories I feel quite lucky to not have broken any bones or worse. But then again I shouldn't count my chickens.

anaconda
November 11th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Carol broke my heart.

Yep.
I feel for you. Mental pain is a bitch expecially if you have to suffer it for longer times. eg. if you have to meet her every day... And you still love her...

I am currently suffering from sciatica and it is not nice. (Had it for over 4 months already and the painkillers dont work that well anymore. Luckily it is also getting better now.)

However I would rather suffer from sciatica than have my heart broken as badly as I had when I was younger.
(Luckily I don't think that it is possible... Learnt my lessons)

whiskeylover
November 11th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Damnit guys! I get scared at the sight of a needle in a syringe. Now after reading this thread, I'm so panicky :?

alket
November 11th, 2010, 05:00 PM
When I had circumcision (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcision) . A muslim ritual.

kaldor
November 11th, 2010, 05:20 PM
When I was about 4 some huge fat kid years older than me pushed me as hard as he could off a deck and I fell about 2 feet and broke my arm at the elbow. I still have minor issues moving my elbow sometimes.

oldsoundguy
November 11th, 2010, 05:43 PM
It is amazing that one of the female members of this forum has not chimed in with "childbirth".
That is the most painful experience (un medicated) that ANY human can experience ... think very carefully about the physics and proportions guys before you talk about YOUR pain!

~LoKe
November 11th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I'm currently part of an advanced Close Quarter Combat course through the military. I dislocated my shoulder on the second day, and chose to continue on with the course. Every day the damage gets worse and worse.

But I did sign up, so I can't bitch. :P

TNT1
November 11th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Broke knee coming off during supermotard race... That was a real blast... Learning how to walk again shows that physio's have a real sadistic streak. All in all, and experience I don't recommend. (Oh, I did pick the bike up and ride back to the pit... Stupid is as stupid does...)

t.rei
November 11th, 2010, 06:01 PM
being betrayed - nothing compares to that.

- slipping with an electric drill and going through my hand
- tearing the sinews in my foot
- marching for 20km with blood blisters so bad, it's coming out of the boots
- stabbed with knife
- burned hand on stove
- frostbite
- having a 3cm thorn in my hand
- dislocated shoulder
- punched in various areas and or hit with blunt objects or against those
- hammer on hand
- ropeburn
what life throws at you if you take it on. :D

but seriously... nothing EVER compares to betrayal. :/

Paul820
November 11th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Two years ago i had a slipped disc, absolutely excrutiating pain/. I was laid up in bed for 2 weeks as i couldn't walk or even stand up. The doctor kept fobbing me off with pain killers that never worked. I got taken to my local hosptial where they gave me morphine and sent me to Hull Royal Infirmary for an emergency operation as i was at risk of nerve damage and other complications. I had a level 4 and 5 laminectomy and discectomy to get rid of the pain. That was the worst pain i have ever felt.

Now, 2 years, it has happened again, not as bad but there are days where i can't put my foot on the floor, have trouble turning over in bed and i get constant pain in my leg and numbness at the back of my thigh. I wouldn't wish the pain on anyone.

oldos2er
November 11th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Giving birth; and then recovering from a C-sec afterwards.

dh04000
November 11th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Two years ago i had a slipped disc, absolutely excrutiating pain/. I was laid up in bed for 2 weeks as i couldn't walk or even stand up. The doctor kept fobbing me off with pain killers that never worked. I got taken to my local hosptial where they gave me morphine and sent me to Hull Royal Infirmary for an emergency operation as i was at risk of nerve damage and other complications. I had a level 4 and 5 laminectomy and discectomy to get rid of the pain. That was the worst pain i have ever felt.

Now, 2 years, it has happened again, not as bad but there are days where i can't put my foot on the floor, have trouble turning over in bed and i get constant pain in my leg and numbness at the back of my thigh. I wouldn't wish the pain on anyone.

I know what you've gone through. My dad used to be a carpenter. He was carrying rolls of carpet up the 9th floor of a beach resort he was refinishing when he heard a crack in his back. He had slipped 3 discs in his back. Two in the lower back and one in his neck. He didn't report the injury until 3 days after the incident, so his job refused liability. My dad spent 14 years with the pain because we didn't have insurance. He used to sleep all day long because that was the only way he could escape the pain. I'm not very close to my father, he wasn't really "there" when I was a kid, he was always asleep. 5 years ago he finally got the back surgery he needed and he is not "without" pain, but he now can hold a job and actually interact with the family.

If there is any advice I can give you, is get the surgery if you can. They will probably fuse your discs together and you'll lose the ability to bend over, but the reduction in pain that surgery allows is worth it. Don't wait, the pain only gets worse.

handy
November 12th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Broke knee coming off during supermotard race... That was a real blast... Learning how to walk again shows that physio's have a real sadistic streak. All in all, and experience I don't recommend. (Oh, I did pick the bike up and ride back to the pit... Stupid is as stupid does...)

That's why we call them physioterrorists!

Schrute Farms
November 12th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Hard to pick between 2 different occasions for me. Close to 20 years ago, I broke my ankle in 3 places, and broke my wrist in 3 places at the same time. I didn't even know the wrist was broken, 'cause the ankle hurt so badly.

A couple of years ago, I developed a pain above my left kidney. It would just about put me on my knees when it would start hurting. It would hurt bad for a few hours, then the pain would disappear for a few hours, then the pain would come back...and on and on...
******* would kill the pain, but the doctors never figured out what it was. The pain eventually disappeared, although it still appears about once a month or so, and it isn't as bad as it was.

Iandefor
November 12th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I dislocated my kneecap once. That was pretty gnarly.

Linye
November 12th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Getting my first tattoo done.

Sean Moran
November 12th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Root abscess on the lower-left second premolar. Started out after a little too much overzealousness with the drill when I went to the dentist here for a couple of fillings on my two front teeth on Christmas Day last year, and gradually progressed from there, until I was going through around twenty codiene tablets every day, and finally had the whole darned tooth pulled out on the last Saturday last August.

That was a lucky guess to opt for the whole thing pulled out, because filling it wouldn't have gotten down to the root of the problem, and the dentist back in Australia told me that the abscess at the very root of the tooth was the reason why the anaesthetic never worked, even after seven attempts with the needle.

I have a photo of the extracted tooth, but will post the simple URL rather than the image, because it's rather 'natural' and not suitable for the feint-hearted to view before dinner.

http://www.pasacafe.com/img/gal/fan/fan01.jpg

Worse than a broken thumb by around ten times.

noneofthem
November 12th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Two things here:

The first one was my second abscess just above my buttocks. That may sound funny but it was pretty bad. I spent 5 days in hospital after surgery and I had to take heavy pain killers for a month. The wound took more than two months to heal and it was about 2 1/2 inches deep and wide. Just imagine the picture and try not to throw up!

The worst thing though was a Pankreatitis. Thatīs when your stomach starts to digest itself. The most horrible pain I ever had to go through. 5 days in hospital again but this time I was lucky that they didnīt have to do surgery. The meds did the trick but it took time. The told me that Pankreatitis is pretty much the worst thing you can get when it comes to pain and I cannot imagine anything worse...

PRC09
November 12th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Recovering from open heart surgery.Having all those wires holding your breastbone together was most excruciating.....

fatality_uk
November 12th, 2010, 01:06 PM
In order of pain:

1. Kidney stones
2. Broken sternum
3. Gun shot to the shin/calf
4. Knife wound to the hand

Lensman
November 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Ankylosing Spondylitis - I had to sleep upright in a chair and couldn't take a full breath. If I sneezed, I would pass out from the pain.

Trigeminal Neuralgia - Imagine someone taking a red hot nail and tapping it three times into the side of your face. Repeat every 30 seconds for a couple of days.

amitabhishek
November 12th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Tomorrow I have an appointment with my dentist. ATM I am experiencing worst of toothaches. Prescribed painkiller aint helping much.

mips
November 12th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I've broken bones, had surgery etc but the worst for me was a really bad ear ache/infection & a slipped disc in my lower back which basically immobilised me and has never really fully recovered although it has not bugged me for about a year now since I worked on my core muscles.

ratcheer
November 12th, 2010, 03:14 PM
The Renal Colic associated with Kidney stones is regarded as one of the worst pains man can suffer as it is very very severe and prolonged.

I have had kidney stones several times. They are absolutely awful. The pain is intense and prolonged.

However, I have experienced worse pain, though only for a few seconds. It was in 1967 so the medical technology was probably at an early stage. I was receiving a spinal block anaesthesia prior to surgery and they must have touched a spinal nerve. It felt like I was being hit with something with about a million volts of electricity and heated to about 10,000 degrees. For that few seconds, I was in hell.

Tim

julio_cortez
November 12th, 2010, 03:26 PM
when the anasthetic wasn't strong enoughI also broke my right hand after a bad challenge during a football match, and the anesthetic went off while they were putting two little screws to fix the broken bone.. OUCH!!

But, all in all, I think that a very powerful migraine when I was at high school is the worst pain I've suffered for.

noneofthem
November 12th, 2010, 04:09 PM
We sound like old people, donīt we? :-D

mips
November 12th, 2010, 06:06 PM

Maybe we are :D

scouser73
November 12th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I was knocked down by a car in 2001 and I broke my left leg and my left collar bone, I didn't know the leg was broken as I didn't feel any pain there but the collar bone hurt so bad.

pricetech
November 12th, 2010, 06:59 PM
When I awoke in Intensive Care after my bypass surgery, I was in such excruciating pain all over I literally prayed to die.

Never again.

spupy
November 12th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Oh man, reading this thread weakens the awful hangover headache I've been having for 12 hours. Thank you, guys. :) :(

chris200x9
November 12th, 2010, 07:03 PM
v-fib (https://health.google.com/health/ref/Ventricular+fibrillation) what's worse is I was waiting for a procedure were I had to be in it during it, so I had to chill in the hospital for about two days with a heart rate of anywhere between 140-ish and 225

edit: for referance normal resting heart rate is anywhere between 60 and 100

Schrute Farms
November 12th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I also broke my right hand after a bad challenge during a football match, and the anesthetic went off while they were putting two little screws to fix the broken bone.. OUCH!!

I had to have some pins removed from my hand after surgery. They were going to just do a local, and pull them while I was awake. I insisted on being put under because of being afraid of exactly what happened to you. Now I don't feel like such a wuss for doing so.

davidvandoren
November 12th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I got an ear infection while living in Spain.
I think that's a very threatening pain. Worst of all they come back. I had them every year for about 7 years. Each time lost about 5kg weight. The last one I had 10 years ago and the hospital finally gave me a real hammer antibiotics combination. Lots of side effects but its gone for good.

Good luck.
And head up "literally"
Best place to sleep your car seat.

bigsmitty64
November 12th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Let me tell ya bout my new hip!

Dracona
November 12th, 2010, 09:34 PM
several hours after backsurgery, had to go an have x-ray/mri done, and the ppl in xray broke my morphine drip, the last hour of it was indescribable.

Gone fishing
November 12th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I'm going for kidney stones - I don't know how it compares with childbirth (and being male not going to find out) - but you do have a hell of a lot less to show for it after all that pain than childbirth. :confused:

theraje
November 12th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Wow, there are a lot of ear-infection people around. I have problems with those (I even had an ear infection so bad I ended up with Bell's Palsy - the inflammation put pressure on some nerves, and one side of my face became almost completely paralyzed).

I still think that hemorrhoid I had was *way* worse, but ear infections are certainly no slouch in the pain department!

markp1989
November 13th, 2010, 12:26 AM
probably a couple of years ago, I was a bit tipsy, went to go to the car park to have a ****

you know them chains they have going between bollards to act like a cheap fence, it was dark so i didnt see it, i jogged at it, tripped and landed face first on the concrete, split my lip, and i think i may of been knocked out for a few seconds

cgroza
November 13th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Ouch!

themarker0
November 13th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Scaped my knee, hurt like a crap. It was huge, around 9 cm diamanter. Broke my ankle, sprained the other, broke a finger, none hurt as much L.

c00lwaterz
November 13th, 2010, 11:15 PM
my heart becomes weak. maybe need more exercise and peace of mind. less stress and less pressure i think will help me.

Paul820
November 13th, 2010, 11:38 PM
several hours after backsurgery, had to go an have x-ray/mri done, and the ppl in xray broke my morphine drip, the last hour of it was indescribable.

They had to give me an MRI before my operation. They wanted me to lay on my back but i couldn't as the pain was too much.....so they had to sedate me :(

Onyros
November 14th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Acute renal colics. Nothing even ever came close to it.

I called an ambulance for the first time in my life, and I hate hospitals, avoid them like the plague.

tgalati4
November 14th, 2010, 02:01 AM
This thread has definitely reached epic.

I broke my right knee in 4 places after being thrown head-over-heals off my bicycle.

Broke my elbow while hiking in the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Only 5 miles into the trip with 60 lb pack. Hiking out 5 miles with an elbow the size of a football, in the dark and the cold, was not how I envisioned the weekend.

amauk
November 14th, 2010, 02:09 AM
'nother ear infection here
Happened about a year ago (first one I've ever had)

Flared up on a Thursday. I really didn't know what it was, thought it was compressed wax, so I got some liquid wax dislodging thing from the chemist
That made it 10x worse on the Friday.

Couldn't get an appointment at the doctor till Tuesday

It wasn't so much the pain which got me, but the fact I couldn't sleep properly for three days

Worse weekend ever :(

burdebc
November 14th, 2010, 02:47 AM
The worst pain I have ever been in was probably a bike wreck when I was 10. I was riding my bike down a gravel road with a long hill in the Rockies. I hit a patch of loose gravel and went over the handle bars. I have no idea how fast I was going or how far I flew, but I was completely unable to get up on my own. Even though I didn't break anything the pain was far worse than when I actually broke my thumb.

pitiburi
November 14th, 2010, 03:00 AM
physical pain

while playing a certain sport, i was running full speed and got an impossible hit on my knee from another player running the other way . Pain was so severe, i couldnt breath. After 40 seconds, i started breathing, crying without a sound, and then as a deep reptilian reflex built deep into our brains, i started throwing up. After another infinite amount of time (30 more seconds), i lost consciousness. I know the timing because it's all taped.
I eventually recovered.

emotional pain

after a couple of months feeling something was wrong, i decided myself and hacked my man's account. He was my life, the future father of my children, the center of my universe.
You cannot be more in love than me back then.
Short story: He's been cheating on me for more than a year, he was in love with another girl (who took a lot of our money from the bank and then dumped him), he has been with at least 8 other women while i left my career, my country and my job for him. He was having unprotected sex too, with all of us. And he talked to everybody (friends, family, etc) about me like cr**. I needed to read 3 times the first *strange* mail to understand what was about.
I fainted. I woke up, i threw up, i fainted again. Couldnt eat for 4 days.
Still trying to recover.

soul pain

when i found my sister dead. She was 2 and a half. I was 10 years old.
Still trying to recover.

And that, sir, is all i have to say about that.

stevolime
November 14th, 2010, 03:59 AM
The worst pain I have had I must say is when my tooth died. Actually has 2 that died, not at the same time. I was in so much pain I wanted to hit walls or rip my teeth out. Both teeth had root canals done to them and one has a crown.

Sean Moran
November 14th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Here's another one that I never thought to mention a couple of days ago, because the tooth abscess was far more recent, and in hindsight, still twice as painful as this one, but it's Sunday afternoon and a good time to make a short story long, so here's the second most painful thing I ever knew.

It was back in 1998 and we'd had a problem with the electric company losing track of the bills we had paid, and eventually cutting off the power to the house, rather than admit they'd overlooked a bill we'd paid somewhere. It was a duplex half, with one line coming in from the pole for both homes, (notably BEFORE the meter - I never stole my neighbour's power), but one night I got up in the roof and rewired to get us some single-phase off the joint connection that we chared (as mentioned, BEFORE the meter so no problem for neighbour's power bills).

With single-phase live, we could run the computers and the lights and television, but not the hot-water system (three-phase). Luckily we had gas in the kitchen, so every morning and night I'd boil up all the pots full of water to take to the bathroom so my girlfriend could have a nice warm bath.

One evening, I was taking a hot cassorole pot (around 4 ltr) of bubbling water off the stove, and it only had one of the two handles, so I always wrapped a tea-towel around the other side to pick it up without burning my fingers. The tea-towel slipped, and all the water poured straight down onto me at waist level.

I scalded my left thigh, and my right wrist, and as this stuff seeped through the jeans, something a little more personal. Took me 20 seconds to run to the bathroom for a cold shower, but the damage was done. First night, I couldn't sleep from the pain in my wrist, even with a dis of cold water to bathe it in as much as I could in sleep. Second night, the wrist was bearable, but the thigh copped it fairly hard, like sunburn from a few days seaside holiday on Venus or Mercury. Third night was when it REALLY hit me like a full-force gail, right in the place where we really don't want to be hit, all over groin area.

Took about three weeks to heal, but that was the most painful thing I ever had until the tooth problem this year. Rate around 6 times worse than a broken thumb.

Thank you and Happy Sunday.

cpmman
November 20th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I was diagnosed with DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) some years ago when my doctor suggested I drive myself to the John Radcliffe Hospital because an ambulance would not be quick enough. The accompanying letter said I was experiencing "exquisite pain" in my leg and the fluoroscopy results indicated multiple thromboses which led to an "out-of-body" experience which I should not wish to repeat.

KegHead
November 20th, 2010, 07:23 PM
work

rajeev1204
November 20th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Emotional pain.Its the worst kind.

cpmman
November 20th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Emotional pain.Its the worst kind.

It is for me but I know some colleagues who will suffer acute pain until the end of their days as a result of physical injuries and some who suffer from inherited or acquired infirmities which medical knowledge is inadequate to alleviate.

HermanAB
November 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I got to nominate two: Burst appendix and kidney stones.

The appendix thing is actually more dangerous and painful, but the problem with kidney stones is that you don't pass out from the infection and pain.

ratcat
November 21st, 2010, 03:37 AM
Agree about ear infections and kidney stones. Where ear tubes ever put in? My kids had ear troubles, the ear tubes solved the hurt. And me, years back I put up signs. On a hot day I got dizzy and fell about 20', crashed on the pavement. Big hurt, but those kidney stones, wow.
Now I design signs, a lot safer for the old man.