PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Startup USB from Alternative CD Image?

pwzhangz
November 10th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Before I tried it, I am wondering whether I can create a startup USB from an alternative CD image and then boot from that USB?

Herman
November 10th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I have tried that, but it was a long time ago and things may have changed since then.
When I tried it, the USB with the 'Ubuntu Alternate Installation CD' was able to boot alright and run just fine. I was even able to proceed almost to the end of the 'hardware detection' phase of an installation with it, (if I remember correctly), but it failed on 'detecting CDROM drive', and I was not able to get an further.
I have read that others have had a similar experience, I have not yet read any post claiming success with completing an installation from an 'Alternate CD' in a USB. :(

Perhaps things have changed since then and I'm not aware of the changes yet, or perhaps somebody will take the matter up as a challenge and solve the problem or find a workaround. :)

EDIT: I didn't try very hard, there is still scope for some person to maybe try an 'Expert Install' or something like that, and discover a way to complete an installation with it.

pwzhangz
November 11th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Thanks. I just tried it myself and I am confirming that, YES, I can indeed create a startup USB containing the alternative CD iso and then boot and install from this newly created startup USB.

Herman
November 12th, 2010, 03:32 AM
:) Hey, Cool!
Thanks for that information, that will come in handy for some people.
What version of Ubuntu did you install, Maverick Meerkat?
Did you need to do anything special or is this because of new improvements the developers have made for us? :)