PDA

View Full Version : Windows Crashes, Macs Freeze, Linux...

Evil-Ernie
November 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM
...Crunches!! LOL

Ok I have been thinking about this from a conversation with some colleagues over various Operating Systems and their pitfalls. Of course it turned to system hangs and my smug Mac user mate said 'My Mac never crashes!' to which my XP using buddy answered 'What about when you get your spinning wheel of death?', to which Mr Mac retorted 'Thats a Freeze not a Crash, Macs NEVER crash!'. As an Ubuntu user I pointed out than a problem that takes the whole system down is very rare by I do suffer the occasional 'Crunch' and a little idea popped into my head...

We should as Linux users start using the word Crunch rather than Crash as software may fail but the OS keeps going, like the engine on a car you just backed into a lamp post... CRUNCH! but you drive off! :D

Sometimes I muse over the oddest things

Spice Weasel
November 10th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Linux panics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic).

GNU buys the farm. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HURD#Error_messages)

:P

Evil-Ernie
November 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Linux panics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic).

DONT PANIC MR MAINWARING!! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance-Corporal_Jack_Jones

3rdalbum
November 10th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I think the best word would be 'hiccup'.

Evil-Ernie
November 10th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I think the best word would be 'hiccup'.

haha I like that!

Maybe a sliding scale of severity starting with 'Mild Indigestion' right up to 'Chucking your lumps up all over the kitchen floor!' LOL

_outlawed_
November 10th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Windows crashes? My Windows 7 hasn't crashed once since Microsoft released it. I've never been able to make it lock up or BSOD me either.

My current uptime on Win7 is 6 days 19 hours under 100% CPU usage/CPU time and 100% RAM.

Evil-Ernie
November 10th, 2010, 02:12 PM
TBH I use XP on my dual boot machine and I have never had BSOD, or a crash serious enough to shut the system in about 3 years! I think its down to the fact I look after it, don't upload tons of cruddy software and regulary defrag the hard drive.

However other people with Windows (and Mac) software dont seem to be as fortunate as me...

Tristam Green
November 10th, 2010, 02:14 PM
i like "implodes after four months of desktop usage", but that generally only applies to Ubuntu.

RiceMonster
November 10th, 2010, 02:15 PM
People always talk about how if X crashes, the whole system doesn't go down. True. However, keep in mind that if X crashes, so does everything else you were doing. I've also had X lock up to the point where I couldn't use any inputs, such as keyboard and mouse (on multiple occasions) so I had to hold the power button until it did a hardware shutdown.

Linux also kernel panics, which would be the equivalent of a BSOD. I've never had a kernel panic, though. Regardless though, I've had bad crashes on Linux AND Windows (I don't use Mac OSX much).

slackthumbz
November 10th, 2010, 02:23 PM
People always talk about how if X crashes, the whole system doesn't go down. True. However, keep in mind that if X crashes, so does everything else you were doing. I've also had X lock up to the point where I couldn't use any inputs, such as keyboard and mouse (on multiple occasions) so I had to hold the power button until it did a hardware shutdown.

Linux also kernel panics, which would be the equivalent of a BSOD. I've never had a kernel panic, though. Regardless though, I've had bad crashes on Linux AND Windows (I don't use Mac OSX much).

I do all my work in a screen session, if X crashes I use magic sysrq to kill and restart the x server and then just re-connect to my screen session.

Clearly my power level is over 9000 ;)

Evil-Ernie
November 10th, 2010, 02:28 PM
People always talk about how if X crashes...

X sounds rubbish! I'd stop using it if I was you ;)

NCLI
November 10th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Windows crashes? My Windows 7 hasn't crashed once since Microsoft released it. I've never been able to make it lock up or BSOD me either.

My current uptime on Win7 is 6 days 19 hours under 100% CPU usage/CPU time and 100% RAM.
Mine does, quite often. Personal experience is useless, it'll work better on some hardware and with some software than with others, just like all operating systems.

Evil-Ernie
November 10th, 2010, 02:51 PM
This thread is in danger of becoming adult and serious! Better twist it back to the infantile... (ahem)

We could call a crash in Ubuntu a 'Linux Crunch', that way it also sounds like a delicious breakfast cereal as well!! :P

Gremlinzzz
November 10th, 2010, 02:58 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=175204&stc=1&d=1289397435
the BSODhttp://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=175209&stc=1&d=1289398156http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=175210&stc=1&d=1289398404

kaldor
November 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Ubuntu used to crash on me constantly, but I found out it was Compiz. After disabling compiz, I can't remember having any crashes at all.

I've been using OS X for a year now and have yet to have any crashes/issues.

Spice Weasel
November 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
X sounds rubbish! I'd stop using it if I was you ;)

That's a bit hard, seeing as how there are no other free alternatives for a GUI on *nix. :P

weasel fierce
November 10th, 2010, 08:46 PM
That's a bit hard, seeing as how there are no other free alternatives for a GUI on *nix. :P

Soon :)

HoKaze
November 10th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Strictly speaking, that's not true. Most of them aren't really in a usable state as far as day to day stuff goes (or are otherwise simply difficult to setup) and only a few offer any real compatibility with current Xorg-orientated programs but options are there. Heck, I hear you can compile most GTK and QT apps these days to framebuffer output (using something like DirectFB for example).

Spice Weasel
November 10th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I completely forgot about the framebuffer, even though I use Links on it occasionally.

mardurhack
November 11th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I do all my work in a screen session, if X crashes I use magic sysrq to kill and restart the x server and then just re-connect to my screen session.

Clearly my power level is over 9000 ;)

I'm intrested in this...May you explain what you mean? If X crashes, when you run it again the previous "graphical" session is restored??

Sorry for my off-topic but I preferred to ask publicly rather than sending him a PM! :P Maybe there is someone else who cares about!

Barrucadu
November 11th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Screen is for terminal programs; I use tmux (pretty much the same thing) and do almost everything in a terminal, so X crashing (which I haven't had happen for years) isn't a problem.

aysiu
November 11th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I've had (on a computer I was working on) and seen (on someone else's computer) unrecoverable crashes on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Operating systems is amazing human-made things that are still flawed. Nothing is perfect.

beastrace91
November 11th, 2010, 03:10 AM

My current up time on my Ubuntu 9.10 machine is approaching two months... What is the point?

If Windows works for you, great then use it.

~Jeff

laurenbanjo
November 11th, 2010, 04:06 AM
We should as Linux users start using the word Crunch rather than Crashas software may fail but the OS keeps going, like the engine on a car you just backed into a lamp post... CRUNCH! but you drive off! :D

Macs don't completely freeze like Windows. At least not mine or any ones I've used.
an application might freeze, but you can easily force quit it.
WINDOWS HOWEVER, one thing doesn't work and the whole thing freezes and it takes forever to close and you could lose work in other programs ksjgadjgljdgkljdfgkjadgjdgj

Khakilang
November 11th, 2010, 05:16 AM
My Ubuntu hang once. I figure it could be when I open too many images for post processing. It's been awhile I had this problem but with Window my PC it hang for no reason at least once every 3 months. My Firefox did crash once also and it ask me to send in a bug report which I did. Overall it is much better compare to my brother's Vista base PC.

Austin25
November 11th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I've had kernel panics before. It usually happens when you are doing something remarkably stupid, like rewriting the drive mounted as root.

witeshark17
November 11th, 2010, 06:18 AM

My current uptime on Win7 is 6 days 19 hours under 100% CPU usage/CPU time and 100% RAM. Was that your troll I mean idea! *sigh* every win7 user I know has seen the ever famed blue curtain of start again! :-({|=

Evil-Ernie
November 11th, 2010, 10:32 AM
What it boils down to is every OS has problems not just due to the software but the hardware it is on and how the user treats it.

I think Windows does get a bad rep because the majority of users simply haven’t a clue about the inner workings of a computer just use the things to death, that and the sheer volume of Windows users means you are going to hear about more problems.

Generally users with alternative operating systems (i.e. Linux) tend to know more about the computers they use and how to look after them and do so by choice. This means more stable well-maintained systems that are less likely to have catastrophic errors.

Matti L
November 11th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I like 'Crunch' but how about something that ends in x like Linux and Unix. Crax (cracks)?

JetskiDude911
November 11th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I've really only ever had specific applications hang in OS X. When an application hangs, I just kill it and move on. I've only seen one kernel panic, and that was right after I attempted to install some weird driver (that I probably shouldn't have been trying to install).

scouser73
November 13th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Windows Crashes, Macs Freeze, Linux...Doesn't do any of the aforementioned At least not for me anyway.

MisterGaribaldi
November 13th, 2010, 04:21 AM
To paraphrase Lenier from Babylon 5: "Linux... manages."

Obviously, if Windows crashes and Macs freeze, Linux is perfect and therefore in no need of an alliteration. :P

alexan
November 13th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Linux... panic.

It don't die (windows example: loop restarts) nor freeze (you can't touch the inner system to fix); it just keep doing what was supposed to do... just a bit more nervously (example: xorg.conf messed > X won't start > boot live cd > copy the xorg.conf > fixed).

btw, good linux user bring always a guide book with them:

http://www.ozsticker.com/312-662-large/dont-panic-thumb.jpg

Sean Moran
November 13th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Linux doesn't 'crash' nor 'freeze' like those other ones, but just has the occasional 'intensive system process' every now and then. If you look hard enough, it's always your fault doing something silly, and she'll be right after a reboot and a nice keyboard/LCD brushing, because she didn't crash and she didn't freeze on you either! It was YOUR FAULT, USER. You were the one who caused it in the first place! :)