PDA

View Full Version : Happy 6th Birthday Firefox!

lovinglinux
November 10th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Mozilla is celebrating today the 6th anniversary of Firefox.

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2010/11/09/happy-6th-birthday-firefox/

Although I'm currently using Opera as my primary browser now, I couldn't ignore this date, after all, I have been using Firefox since the early builds.

Would be nice if they could celebrate this date with the release of Firefox 4, but I guess we will have to wait until next year to see the final version.

kaldor
November 10th, 2010, 12:46 AM
I started using Firefox in late 2004 or early 2005. I didn't realize I was using it at such a young stage!

On Chrome for the last couple of months though. Firefox keeps crashing.

lovinglinux
November 10th, 2010, 01:00 AM
I started using Firefox in late 2004 or early 2005. I didn't realize I was using it at such a young stage!

I could swear I have used it before 2004. Perhaps I was using Mozilla Phoenix or Mozilla Firebird. I can't really remember. BTW, they are cellebrating the lifetime since version 1.0, but the development started in 2002 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox#Release_history).

lovinglinux
November 10th, 2010, 01:06 AM
A Visual Browser History, from Netscape 4 to Mozilla Firefox (http://www.andrew-turnbull.net/mozilla/historyfx.html)

BTW, you can download all versions, since 0.8 at ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

kaldor
November 10th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I'm assuming I started it at 1.0.1.

Arex Bawrin
November 10th, 2010, 01:44 AM
The first time I ever heard the words "open source" was when someone had introduced me to Firefox...a good day.

Dustin2128
November 10th, 2010, 02:32 AM
I believe I started using it at version one... lets see... that would've been almost 6 years ago, so yeah.

3Miro
November 10th, 2010, 02:53 AM
I remember when Netscape 5 forced me to use IE and how bad I felt that I couldn't use Mozilla under Windows (it just ran so well under Linux). Netscape 7 was usable, however, then I was liberated by Firefox. I have partially switched to Chromium, but I don't think I will fully abandon FF any time soon.

qyot27
November 10th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I started using Firefox at version 0.8, as it was around summer of 2004, and I think I remember the switch from 0.8 to 0.9...I really miss the BlueStreak theme, thinking back that far. I don't think that's been updated since 1.0 came out.

I do remember also messing around with the Mozilla Suite in 2002 or 2003, though. Didn't care much for it then.

JustinR
November 10th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Although I'm currently using Opera as my primary browser now, I couldn't ignore this date, after all, I have been using Firefox since the early builds.

In exactly a month you can celebrate Opera's 14th birthday!

lovinglinux
November 10th, 2010, 03:20 AM
In exactly a month you can celebrate Opera's 14th birthday!

:) Fair enough. I didn't know it was that old. I knew Opera from many years, but not that far.

czr114
November 10th, 2010, 03:40 AM
It's been a great six years.

The openness of Firefox is what made it successful, complaints about memory and script performance notwithstanding.

Every time I see a computer running stock Internet Explorer, let alone having to use such a hideous app, it makes me realize how lucky we are that somebody built Firefox and some of the killer addons.

I can't even imagine trying to browse the web without Firefox's security, augmented with ABP, BetterPrivacy, NoScript, and the web developer toolbar.

BeachBuddah
November 10th, 2010, 04:02 AM
I'm surprised that the Fox is only six. I remember in '04 hearing the buzz and making the move over. I was thrilled to be able to customise the functionality as well as the look. But I was immediately pissed at M$ because the load time was so long, though. I guess it was v1.x - or maybe 2 and the noise was all about the new release.

Either way I'm still a satisfied customer today.