PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Entering poems in html/css

rcayea
November 9th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Hi Folks,

I was wondering, as I am a novice website programmer, if there is a better way of entering poems on my website other than always using the <p> tag?

So far I have to always enter the <p> tag for every poem line. Any ideas to make it quicker to maybe add a whole poem at once and keep the format?

Thanks,
Randy

nvteighen
November 10th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Hi Folks,

I was wondering, as I am a novice website programmer, if there is a better way of entering poems on my website other than always using the <p> tag?

So far I have to always enter the <p> tag for every poem line. Any ideas to make it quicker to maybe add a whole poem at once and keep the format?

Thanks,
Randy

I'd use a single <p></p> block and use <br/> for line-breaks... Think of <br/> as your Enter key, while the <p></p> is rather a block to specify whhere your paragraph begins, so that later, it'll be much easier to apply a CSS stylesheet to that paragraph and format it nicely... but that's another story.

(I used XHTML tags above... If you're using HTML4, you should use <br> instead of <br/>, but <p></p> is specified as a block in the standard... I know, <p> is "allowed" by browsers, but it's not the way to do it, really)

Some Penguin
November 10th, 2010, 08:43 AM
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_pre.asp ?

worseisworser
November 10th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Hi Folks,

Thanks,
Randy

The PRE tag will keep the format of the source text.

Goldfissh
November 10th, 2010, 10:32 AM
You use <p> for every single new line?

Just use <br /> for a line break - you can still wrap the paragraph together using <p> tags if you want.

rcayea
November 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the replies that were helpful. It looks like the pre tag is what I was looking for.

Thanks.

Goldfissh
November 10th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Great, glad you got what you were looking for! :D