PDA

View Full Version : Another year, another laptop A/C adapter goes down

Quadunit404
November 9th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Don't have much time to post this since my laptop is going to die in an hour and will remain dead for about three days as I wait for a new A/C adapter to arrive unless I find some alternate (temporary) power supply.

It's been just a LITTLE over a year since I got this laptop and already I've gone through two A/C adapters. I've had it. The best part? Both died at nearly the same time, just one year apart. I'm already betting that the next one is gonna be dead by next July.

Are there any COMPETENT manufacturers who produce A/C adapters for Acer laptops that last for more than six or so months? Not even the stock adapter this laptop (a 2009 Acer Aspire 4530-6823) came with lasted that long.

(And as much as I want a new laptop to replace this noisy, beat-up, overheating-prone, battery-eating, slow machine, I can't get one JUST yet because of money problems.)

CharlesA
November 9th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Haven't had an adaptor go out on me yet.

Check here (http://www.google.com/search?q=Acer+Aspire+4530-6823&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=Acer+Aspire+4530-6823+a/c+adaptor&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=iJw&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivs&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=TbrZTPEIw9eeB-7NnOgJ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CEkQrQQwAg&fp=5ddd74dd827ab059).

LowSky
November 9th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I too have ever had an adapter go bad on me.

My old 2002 Dell Inspiron 8100 still sucks power from the same adapter.
My Lenovo T60 and s10 both are on their first cords.

Heck I've don't think I have ever had an adapter go bad on me.

Now on the other hand my dad and sister on on their 3rd cord each on their Dell's and HP's. I always see them leaving the laptop sidways on the floor charging or being used on a chair or coffee table.

Maybe because I use mine on a desk. I think its just on how you use it. Mine stay reletively in the same spot all the time, and I never have it plugged in if im using it away from a desk. I think people pull, drop, and unplug the adapter the wrong way and it burns out like it does.

davec64
November 9th, 2010, 10:36 PM
:(I've had about 3 in the last year!

Mind you my problem is down to my daughter and it's always the cable that goes at the point of the male socket which you plug in to the laptop!

Oh and she's also managed to trash 2 keyboards in the past 18 months on the same laptop.

I think it might be cheaper to sell my daughter than get the spares!!
:P

Quadunit404
November 9th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I'm using the power adapter of my external hard drive as a temporary supply until I can get a new one. Dunno how long it'll last on this one, though. I'm afraid to take out the battery and check if it'll still get enough power.

I'm just about to order this (http://www.laptoptraveller.com/laptop-ac-adapter-acer-93-01050-002.html) as I found it to be for a good price (it's the first thing I found just about a minute after the old one died.) Oh, and just a fyi... this is the second A/C adapter that died in the middle of school.

Oh, and is it a bad thing when the case of the power supply - no, not just the case, but practically the whole thing - comes apart? Because I took off the electrical tape from the old adapter (while it was unplugged) and it fell apart :shock:

CharlesA
November 9th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Er yes that's bad. I have never had an adaptor that was being held together with tape.

Quadunit404
November 9th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Okay then.

I think I'll give my laptop a chance to recharge now, as it's only got about 40 minutes of battery life left. See ya in a few hours, everyone.

Rasa1111
November 9th, 2010, 11:10 PM
:(I've had about 3 in the last year!

Mind you my problem is down to my daughter and it's always the cable that goes at the point of the male socket which you plug in to the laptop!

Oh and she's also managed to trash 2 keyboards in the past 18 months on the same laptop.

I think it might be cheaper to sell my daughter than get the spares!!
:P

lol wth?

Yeah, sorry child, no more computer for you until you learn how to "treat" it.:mad: lol
school work? too bad, use paper, or use the school computer.
When you have proved that you can take proper care of things, you might get to use it again.
That's what my father would have done back in the day.
(if we had our own computers then) lol

Ive never had an adapter go bad either..

however~ The laptop I recently fixed for someone,
if it is plugged in for an hour or so...
the adapter gets to the point where it is *almost* too hot to even hold in your hand.. yikes! lol

Quadunit404
November 10th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Well, we just ordered the new A/C adapter and hopefully it'll be here before next week. I kinda need a charged battery for my laptop for when I go to Florida next Friday...

3Miro
November 10th, 2010, 02:56 AM
My wife has System76 laptop for what it two years now. No problems. My Lenovo adapter died because I wasn't taking good care of it and for several months now I am using some iGo universal adapter. Maybe you shouldn't look for adapters from Acer directly, but get a third party universal one.

Quadunit404
November 10th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Yeah, that's what I've been doing. The second one wasn't from Acer.

Since both batteries are now drained, I'm gonna be stuck on this crappy computer from 2004 until the new AC adapter arrives :( (I'll be running Fedora 14 via Live USB since I don't want to use Windows on it, simply because it freezes up way too much. Don't want to use Ubuntu on this old crappy computer because last time I did on a Live USB my experience was problematic, but it was usable at least. If the GNOME spin is also not all that great on this thing I'll go back to Windows and install the LXDE spin.)

/brb booting Fedora