PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys forgets to renew domain name

Sporkman
November 9th, 2010, 09:50 PM
(FYI: "Dallas Cowboys" = U.S. NFL team (pro american football))

Cowboys suffer domain name failure at the worst possible time

By Doug Farrar

It wasn't an exciting enough event when the Dallas Cowboys fired head coach Wade Phillips on Monday. When such a move happens, one of the first stops for a fanbase is a team's official website...

According to the Dallas Morning News, the team forgot to renew the dallascowboys.com domain, and the site was left blank. The Cowboys' marketing arm, led by one Jerry Jones, Jr., quickly renewed the domain, but that process can take up to two days to go through, and for a website to propagate on a domain - even if it's been there before. The site is up, but up until Tuesday morning, there were people on Twitter reporting that they could still see the "fail" page on certain browsers....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Cowboys-suffer-domain-name-failure-at-the-worst-?urn=nfl-283761

whiskeylover
November 9th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Who cares about the Cowboys.

johntaylor1887
November 9th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I'm surprised anyone even noticed the site was down. ;)

forrestcupp
November 9th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Mark my words. The Cowboys will win the Superbowl. ;)

Dr. C
November 9th, 2010, 11:43 PM
This is not the first time this kind of thing has happened. Back in 1999 Microsoft forgot to renew passport.com that was needed so that users could sign onto Hotmail. Michael Chaney used his own credit card to renew the domain, and was rewarded by Microsoft with a cheque for $500 and a new copy of Visual Studio 6.0. Here is the ironic part he needed Visual Studio 6.0 to
compile and run the decss program to decode my DVD's so that I can play them under Linux http://www.doublewide.net/

Barrucadu
November 10th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Pretty much every registrar supports automatic renewal. Why don't people use it? :P

radar920
November 10th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Mark my words. The Cowboys will win the Superbowl. ;)
Yeah.. and they will play my Browns. :lolflag:

Sporkman
November 10th, 2010, 12:51 AM

Pfft. Good luck with that. :)

Dr. C
November 10th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Pretty much every registrar supports automatic renewal. Why don't people use it? :P

Because it is just to simple for large bureaucratic corporations.

WeAreLinux
November 10th, 2010, 01:53 AM

LOL!!

Seriously though, how did the Browns beat the Patriots last week?! Mangini knows Bilichick's secrets.

ericmc783
November 10th, 2010, 02:15 AM

Hey... we Cleveland fans can always dream. And with 2 wins in a row against very good teams... who knows???

GO BROWNS!

_outlawed_
November 10th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Dallas Cowboys.
Yahoo.com

I LOL irl at both failures.

forrestcupp
November 10th, 2010, 02:46 AM
LOL!!

Seriously though, how did the Browns beat the Patriots last week?! Mangini knows Bilichick's secrets.

The new Videogate. :)