PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Database Inventory software project (personal/gpl project)

Stochastic
November 9th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Hey everyone, I'm in the process of designing a Fixed Asset Management database solution specifically designed for commercial kitchen use (I work as a cook at a couple restaurants). At this stage, I'm looking for other GPL solutions that I can use as a springboard for my development - no need to re-invent the wheel. But google is really turning up nothing (GPLI http://www.glpi-project.org/spip.php?lang=en is the closest I've found, but it's not really the same scope I'm thinking).

Basically the primary function of the software is to track the inventory (arriving through orders, being sold, being wasted, and amount needed to order - not to mention cost of all this). A simple database would be needed and a GUI (both are areas of my programming expertise that are a little shaky - I am after all a cook, not a programmer). I'm thinking that it needs to be cross platform - would like to write it in either Python or C++, though Java is possible too. And I'm considering MySQL or SQLite for the database (leaning to the latter).

Can anyone give me some hints/guidance for this project? Any words of advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

juancarlospaco
November 10th, 2010, 12:57 PM
web2py

memilanuk
November 10th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Dabodev.com