PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded my Ubuntu installation to 10.04 and now it won't log in

steiner470
November 9th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Upgraded my Ubuntu installation to 10.04 and now it won't log in. When the system boots up it says

"Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode. The following error was encountered. You may need to update your configuration to solve this. (EE) NV(0): No valid initial configuration found. (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a useable configuration"

"What would you like to do
- Run Ubuntu in low graphics mode for just one session
- Reconfigure Graphics
- Troubleshoot the error
- Exit to console login
- Restart X"

Then I can get to the login screen and attempt to login but the screen just flashes black and then returns me to the login screen again. I know the password is correct because if I type in a different password it says "Incorrect Password."

The symptoms are exactly as described here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome/+bug/589520

I tried changing my /etc/X11/xorg.conf to read
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection

And that makes the error message dissapear on bootup but it will still not login. How can I fix this?

dino99
November 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM
your problem is:

**** (EE) NV(0): No valid initial configuration found. (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a useable configuration"

so remove xorg.conf , actual kernel directly deal with X anyway

sudo rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf

then reboot and check driver activation (system admin additional driver)

steiner470
November 9th, 2010, 08:03 PM
your problem is:

**** (EE) NV(0): No valid initial configuration found. (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a useable configuration"

so remove xorg.conf , actual kernel directly deal with X anyway

sudo rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf

then reboot and check driver activation (system admin additional driver)

Thanks for the idea but I don't think that can be correct. The reason I say this is because /etc/X11/xorg.conf already did *not* exist during the time this error was occurring. And as I stated I tried to troubleshoot the problem by creating the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf with the following contents:

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection

That stopped the error message from appearing at bootup however the system still will not login to either normal Gnome or Failsafe.

steiner470
November 9th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Update: I ran through the instructions on this page (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ubuntu-tiphow-to-removeinstall-and-reconfigure-xorg-without-reinstalling-ubuntu.html) to remove and reinstall xserver-xorg but it did not help.
I did notice however that the command sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg did NOT remove or alter the /etc/X11 directory or any files within it.