PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Django sqlite database not working

Crazedpsyc
November 9th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I just started trying to use django with the tutorial on their website. everything was fine until I came to the "python manage.py syncdb" command and got
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "manage.py", line 11, in <module>
execute_manager(settings)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 438, in execute_manager
utility.execute()
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 379, in execute
self.fetch_command(subcommand).run_from_argv(self. argv)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/django/core/management/base.py", line 191, in run_from_argv
self.execute(*args, **options.__dict__)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/django/core/management/base.py", line 220, in execute
output = self.handle(*args, **options)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/django/core/management/base.py", line 351, in handle
return self.handle_noargs(**options)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/django/core/management/commands/syncdb.py", line 52, in handle_noargs
cursor = connection.cursor()
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/django/db/backends/__init__.py", line 75, in cursor
cursor = self._cursor()
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/django/db/backends/sqlite3/base.py", line 174, in _cursor
self.connection = Database.connect(**kwargs)
pysqlite2.dbapi2.OperationalError: unable to open database file

I got the same thing when trying to add the "polls" app to the database and when I ran "Poll.objects.all()" in the interactive interpreter. Why am I getting all this? I have python-sqlite installed.

naoyamakino
November 10th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I am having the exact same issue when I am going through the tutorial on django's website.
would very appreciate for any suggestions!

naoyamakino
November 10th, 2010, 08:40 PM
solved it! my settings.py's database path was wrong..
make sure yours is all good too.

I just started trying to use django with the tutorial on their website. everything was fine until I came to the "python manage.py syncdb" command and got
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 438, in execute_manager
utility.execute()
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 379, in execute
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/django/core/management/base.py", line 191, in run_from_argv
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/django/core/management/base.py", line 220, in execute
output = self.handle(*args, **options)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/django/core/management/base.py", line 351, in handle
return self.handle_noargs(**options)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/django/core/management/commands/syncdb.py", line 52, in handle_noargs
cursor = connection.cursor()
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/django/db/backends/__init__.py", line 75, in cursor
cursor = self._cursor()
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/django/db/backends/sqlite3/base.py", line 174, in _cursor
self.connection = Database.connect(**kwargs)
pysqlite2.dbapi2.OperationalError: unable to open database file

I got the same thing when trying to add the "polls" app to the database and when I ran "Poll.objects.all()" in the interactive interpreter. Why am I getting all this? I have python-sqlite installed.

Crazedpsyc
November 10th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks! I had pybin instead of pysrv in the database path

JMatlack
February 21st, 2011, 12:06 AM
Can you help me by explaining where the database file should go and why? I dont know what path to put in settings.py for ubuntu. On windows I can use
]import os
PROJECT_ROOT = os.path.abspath(os.path.dirname(__file__))

my settings.py database name= os.path.join(PROJECT_ROOT, 'cms.db')

for saome reason it tells me that file is undefined
This is the traceback I get

josh@optimus-prime:~/django-projects/mysite$ python manage.py syncdb
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 362, in execute_manager
utility.execute()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 303, in execute
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 195, in run_from_argv
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 221, in execute
self.validate()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 249, in validate
num_errors = get_validation_errors(s, app)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/core/management/validation.py", line 22, in get_validation_errors
from django.db import models, connection
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/db/__init__.py", line 41, in <module>
backend = load_backend(settings.DATABASE_ENGINE)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/db/__init__.py", line 17, in load_backend
return import_module('.base', 'django.db.backends.%s' % backend_name)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/utils/importlib.py", line 35, in import_module
__import__(name)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/db/backends/sqlite3/base.py", line 32, in <module>
raise ImproperlyConfigured, "Error loading %s: %s" % (module, exc)
django.core.exceptions.ImproperlyConfigured: Error loading either pysqlite2 or sqlite3 modules (tried in that order): No module named _sqlite3
josh@optimus-prime:~/django-projects/mysite$

grateful for any help thanks

Crazedpsyc
March 4th, 2011, 05:13 PM
The database path can be anything. Mine is /home/me/django/db.sqlite. Just put the path in the settings.py file and run "python manage.py syncdb". Then it will automatically create the database and set up the admin superuser (if admin is installed) and you're ready to go.
Perhaps you should try a static path? Maybe /home/you/project/cms.db?
EDIT: Oh, see at the bottom of the error message it says "No module named _sqlite3"? open up the python shell and try importing sqlite3. If it gives you a similar importerror you may need to install python-sqlite3. If there is no error, it could be a problem with that underscore, I'm not sure. Here is the DB part of my settings file for reference:

DATABASES = {
'default': {
'ENGINE': 'django.db.backends.sqlite3', # Add 'postgresql_psycopg2', 'postgresql', 'mysql', 'sqlite3' or 'oracle'.
'NAME': '/home/me/django/db.sqlite', # Or path to database file if using sqlite3.
'USER': '', # Not used with sqlite3.
'PASSWORD': '', # Not used with sqlite3.
'HOST': '', # Set to empty string for localhost. Not used with sqlite3.
'PORT': '', # Set to empty string for default. Not used with sqlite3.
}
}

You would get answers quicker if you created your own thread vs. posting on a solved one :wink: