PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades for Dell Dimension 3000

rmcellig
November 9th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I am going out this morning to buy 2GB of RAM for my Dell Dimension 3000. I only have 512MB in there at the moment. I was maybe thinking of upgrading the CPU as well. Any thoughts? Worth it? I hate to have to go out and buy a new computer when this one is working fine.

I don't mind having to replace the motherboard but I am not sure if that means getting a new fan/power supply etc... I want to keep it all as simple as possible.

I don't play games on my PC. I just want it to be fast and responsive. I do some audio editing/ recording as well.

Gremlinzzz
November 9th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I am going out this morning to buy 2GB of RAM for my Dell Dimension 3000. I only have 512MB in there at the moment. I was maybe thinking of upgrading the CPU as well. Any thoughts? Worth it? I hate to have to go out and buy a new computer when this one is working fine.

I don't mind having to replace the motherboard but I am not sure if that means getting a new fan/power supply etc... I want to keep it all as simple as possible.

I don't play games on my PC. I just want it to be fast and responsive. I do some audio editing/ recording as well.

Buy the new computer you'll enjoy it more.

ajgreeny
November 9th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Once you start thinking about new motherboard, new, faster cpu and extra ram, you might as well bite the bullet and get a new machine. If you really want to keep what you have simply get more ram and stop there.

Put in a total of 2GB if it is possible and I think you will immediately see a big difference in performance.

LowSky
November 9th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I agree with ajgreeny. Just buy the RAM upgrade. and see if that imporves things.

If it doesn't its time for a new machine. OEM computers are not very upgradable, and if they are the can be expensive as they might not use standard parts. I know for a long time Dell used BTX motherboards and replacing one is near impossible.

CharlesA
November 9th, 2010, 04:35 PM
+1 for trying to upgrade the RAM.

Note, however, that old RAM can be very expensive, so it might be worth more in the end to just get a new machine.

If that's not possible, just upgrade the RAM and go from there.

EDIT: Found some memory for that machine: link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Configurator=MemoryConfigurator&CFG=CFG001M98270|3000&DEPA=0).

rmcellig
November 9th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks so much for the replies!! I just put 2GB in the machine and I think I will leave it the way it is. If I was to buy a new desktop PC, any ideas what to get? What really gets to me is all the proprietary stuff brand names put into their machines. Cheaper having one built? If so, there is a store where I live that will build one for me.

I'm just not quite sure what to tell them to put in the machine. I know about RAM and HD size but when it comes to motherboard, fan/ powersuppy, I am not sure exactly what to get.

I want something whre I can do upgrades easily, like being able to rebove a HD or RAM easily as well as processor if need be.

CharlesA
November 9th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Normallly if you want the upgrade the processor you'd need a new mobo, altho some mobos support a few different chips.

If you are going to cheap, there's nothing wrong with getting a crappy OEM machine and just installing Ubuntu on it. Most are made with standard parts now-a-days.

If you want custom and greater upgradability, build it yerself.

LowSky
November 9th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Hard drives and RAM are easily replaced in most cases.

Processors are another story. You might not have very good luck finding a replacment model 2-3 years down the line.

Fans and power supplies basically are easy to explain the more they cost the better they probably are.

Motherboards are an odd affair. You need to know the size you want, the amount of prepherials you will run (like video cards or PCI cards) and the size of the case, and the processors power rating and socket type. Some Motherboards have built in graphics while the more expensive one will not, but they might have up to 4 graphics cards.

rmcellig
November 9th, 2010, 05:08 PM
My needs are quite simple (for now :)). I just want something that is zippy and responds well.