PDA

View Full Version : triple-boot macbook??

owners4life5
November 9th, 2010, 03:38 PM
just a thought..

but would it be possible to triple boot 10.10, snow leopard, and windows 7?

i want to save up for a macbook pro, and do this for college....i.ll use ubuntu mostly, but just wondering.

open for suggestions...throw some in.
i would really just like to do this as an experiment, but it would be neat to have all 3 O.S's on one computer...

and it doesn.t have to be a macbook, something with better specs maybe. i just know that if you have os x on something besides a macbook, many complications occur. (at least it did for me the one time i tried it.)

but thanks anyway.

kaldor
November 9th, 2010, 04:04 PM
If you're mostly going to use Ubuntu, why get a MacBook AND Windows 7?

If you need to choose between OS X and Windows, there's not much problem. OS X already has a lot of Windows software ported to it so if you need stuff like Office (2008-2011) it's there.

But to answer your question; Yes, it is possible.

Chazz44able
November 9th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I would get a PC, for the same money you spend on a Mac-book, you can get a far superior PC, then just install Snow Leopard - it only costs 60...

owners4life5
November 9th, 2010, 07:17 PM
If you're mostly going to use Ubuntu, why get a MacBook AND Windows 7?
But to answer your question; Yes, it is possible.

well, the main reason, honestly, is so i can just say:
"yo, check this out! i got all three!"...lol

but if i could think of a few different reasons,
1)ubuntu for obvious reasons

2)osx because of the rather "decent" interface, and just because of the earlier reason: having all three, i suppose...

and

3)windows because from what i have heard, many institutions absolutely require that you use office 07 or later now....

---

but still, all of these really just fall under the same category of being an experiment...it.s nothing i have to do, rather just an early bucket list accomplishment (:

Oxwivi
November 9th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Why don't you just use VirtualBox? Saves time at boot (for not asking which OS) and you can simultaneously use OS specific programs.

owners4life5
November 9th, 2010, 11:22 PM
ehhh..no thanks..

i.ve never really liked using virtualbox....

i feel almost....'crowded', know what i mean?

Artemis Fowl
November 9th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I would get a PC, for the same money you spend on a Mac-book, you can get a far superior PC, then just install Snow Leopard - it only costs 60...

This is rather off-topic, but isn't installing OSx on a non-Apple certified computer :roll: (or something like that) against the license agreement thingy?

On topic, I think it's possible, but I don't see the point.

owners4life5
November 9th, 2010, 11:54 PM
This is rather off-topic, but isn't installing OSx on a non-Apple certified computer :roll: (or something like that) against the license agreement thingy?

that.s what i was thinking...and why i suggested using a macbook for it all. (apple has to be difficult, you know)

On topic, I think it's possible, but I don't see the point.

experimental/fun/whatever..

Artemis Fowl
November 10th, 2010, 12:12 AM
...experimental/fun/whatever..

Then you have my full support. If I hadn't been in an experimental/fun mood, I wouldn't have found Linux.

oobuntoo
November 10th, 2010, 04:52 AM
It's definitely possible. Lots of people have done it on both Mac hardware and non-Mac hardware. As long as you have hard drive space to accommodate all 3 OS, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm currently triple booting Windows 7, Kubuntu 10.10, and Snow Leopard on a self-built system.

Frankly, I find adding Mac OS X pointless, after having done it.

owners4life5
November 10th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Then you have my full support. If I hadn't been in an experimental/fun mood, I wouldn't have found Linux.

definitely a true statement...i would like to do this if i can buy a macbook.

handy
November 10th, 2010, 06:47 AM
It is no problem to triple boot the Macbook, provided you organise your partitions correctly. If you don't do that right then you will fail.

I wrote a wiki article sometime back about installing Arch on an iMac. The first detailed sections (up to Install Arch) on that wiki, are well worth a read.

The section titled "The GPT partitioning scheme that Apple uses" is where you will find out about the GPT in relation to Apple usage, the understanding & application of which is where you will make it or break it in regards to setting up a triple-boot Mac:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IMac_Aluminium

You will also need to use rEFIt.

owners4life5
November 12th, 2010, 01:33 PM
yeah..that sounds good. :)