PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My wish list of the next generation of Ubuntu ...

hantsy
November 9th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I have used Linux as my workstation since 2003 when I had my first PC.

I have used Redhat8/9, Mandrake, Debian, Ubuntu in these years. But I finally selected Fedora as my desktop, a Ubuntu desktop was always in my virtual box.

For a desktop user, we need not only the latest software, but also the basic components of the desktop. especially the daily application, such as, IM, Email, Calendar, Task etc. How to orginize them together effectively?

I still remembered the Redhat 8 revolution, many new features included, such as, BlueCurve theme, united menu for KDE and gnome, new Redhat configuration tools, new installation GUI for beginer.

I think someone here maybe hear Ximain Desktop, which provided Enterprise GNOME desktop for SUSE and Redhat. Ximian is the Evolution creator of current GNOME desktop, finally it is bought by Novell. Ximian patched GNOME widely(I used it in Redhat 9 before) and made the desktop component interoperation smoother.

Why I selected Feodra later? Many features were attrative for me. The PolicyKit, DeviceKit, PulseAudio, KMS...all of these cool things are always affecting other distrobution. Feodra is leading the tech.

But in the latest two releases, it seemed Fedora slowed down its step to the desktop. The GNOME3 was delayed again and again. And actually, I really dislike the GNOME Shell preview in Fedora. For my daily work, It is not effctive as GNOME 2. Maybe I was attractive by MacOS, I like a file manager like the one provied in MacOS, I like the global menu...I also noticed the GNOME team drew the new Nautilus draft sample again and again, but none of them became true. Thanks for the Nautilus Elementary, they bring the MacOS style file manager...

I like everything palnned in Ubuntu 11.04, including:
1. Unity desktop.
2. Global menu.
3. NautilusElementary as default file manager.
4. Banshee as default media player(it supports audio and video).
5. Application Indicator...

I also hope some improvements:
1. Provided cool GUI for picture view and video view...I like the style of Mac Quicktime and Google picscas.
2. Provided enhanced UI for Music, Videos, Pictures in nautlus, provieded more info or actions.
3. Make the nautilus lightweight and pluginable...I dislike the "Tab" and "Extra Pane" features introduced in the latest Naultilus and "Terminal" feature in the current Nautilus Elementary( I have not installed it, but only saw some pictures), make them as plugins, thus I can decide to install or not.
4. We need a unite PIM concept in GNOME desktop, a United Contact for Evolution/Thunderbird and IM and can be sync between them, "about me" can configure personal Email server(configuration can be accessable in Email client and IM). Task/Calendar can be shared in Evolution/Thunderbird/Sunbird/GNOTE/Google Calender and time tracker applet, and provided reminder in the GNOME time applet and notification area.
5. User can select the default app like the extised for Calendar, IM, etc.
6. Provide easy way to share status via IM or microblog tooling. Such as, share listening music and watching videos on IM, simple write the state in IM and post them in microblog. Refatoring the Empathy GUI, I like the simple and effective Google Talk like GUI, only show esstensial funcationlity in GUI directly, such as change status(including custom status), change avator, change display name, adding contact and filtering contact.

... and others...maybe in future.

In a word, we not only need a collection of newest software, but a united, productive desktop.

What is ur opinion???