PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.10: Strange result from GNU Privacy Assistant

XEtedBear
November 9th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Firstly I am trying to install the Truecrypt software, following the Truecrypt installation tutorial, on how to verify PGP signatures. Truecrypt is not yet installed. That tutorial is at http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=digital-signatures

I have installed GNU Privacy Assistant on my Ubuntu 10.10 system. I have created my own key. The first 5 steps at the above URL are completed. I have signed the truecypt public key. I have downloaded the signature for the latest Linux version of the truecrypt product

I am now trying to verify that signature using GNUPA - using either the GUI or the command line; both fail, but with different error messages. Please note, they do NOT state that the signature is invalid.

Using the GNUPA GUI approach I can find the signature file; clicking on the 'check signature of selected file' icon results in the error message "<fully qualified filename> No such file or directory". In other words the file which GNUPA can find for me, it can't find for itself! What is happening here?

Using the command <gpg --verify truecrypt-7.0a-linux-x86.tar.gz.sig> results in the error messages "gpg: no signed data" and "gpg: can't hash datafile: file open error"

Using the comand <gpg --verify /Downloads/truecrypt-7.0a-linux-x86.tar.gz.sig> results in the error messages "gpg: can't open `/Downloads/truecrypt-7.0a-linux-x86.tar.gz.sig'" and "gpg: verify signatures failed: file open error"

What am I doing wrong?