PDA

View Full Version : Dapper Review

openmind
April 17th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Mad Penguin (http://madpenguin.org/cms/index.php/?m=show&id=6699&page=1)

Has the latest review of 6.06 up. Fairly good, but he sure doesn't like The Ubuntu organisation, does he? Oh, and apparently we're a "Cult"!:-D

DigitalDuality
April 17th, 2006, 10:03 PM
meh.. what's one more cult for me to belong to? i already listen to devil music and vote for 3rd parties, watch artsy fartsy films no online likes, and could care less about religion, and i don't watch tv, i guess using linux fits in somewhere.

unbuntu
April 17th, 2006, 11:18 PM
The link doesn't work...
is it just me?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 17th, 2006, 11:20 PM
The link doesn't work...
is it just me?
It worked earlier but now I am getting the eternal loading thing. Anyway Dapper got a 9/10.

openmind
April 18th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Looks like Mad Penguin is down right now. :(

professor_chaos
April 18th, 2006, 01:12 AM
I like this part...

"Slackware? Well, let's not compare it with Slackware. It wouldn't be fair to Ubuntu. "

unbuntu
April 18th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Looks like Mad Penguin is down right now. :(
The site is back now. It would be a good introduction to Ubuntu for outsiders, with his "All-in-one action" flashes.

I like this part...

"Slackware? Well, let's not compare it with Slackware. It wouldn't be fair to Ubuntu. "
Yeah, I noticed that also. Besides, the author said "after all, zealotry is for morons". But since I've never used Slackware, I'm not in a place to make any judgement on this.

GreyFox503
April 18th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Nice review. Especially the screenshots, the most important part of any software page. :)

Is that window theme he's using the new default one for Ubuntu? I love it! (oooo, shaded title bars!)

Ubuntu Dapper + cool theme + Easy Ubuntu + XGL/Compiz = *exploding head*:shock:!

If that doesn't do it for ya, I don't know what will!

Iandefor
April 18th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Looks like Mad Penguin is down right now. :( It got digged and slashdotted on the same day. It's to be expected :).

I was kind of interested by his reaction at a boilerplate response.
What I love is how, when the general trend is that Ubuntu's getting more streamlined and easier to use, he starts complaining about Ubuntu getting "dumbed down".