PDA

View Full Version : bash script to execute all scripts in a directory

tarahmarie
November 9th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Hi, all:

I am upping my Dropbox-fu.

I have a cronjob running every minute to execute a script.

Now, what I need that script to do is execute every script in a directory. I have Dropbox running, and I've pointed that script to the Dropbox directory. Ideally, I want a script that does this:

if (there's a script in /specifiedDirectory) {
run it
move it to /otherDirectory
}
else{
do nothing
}

I don't really know where to start. I want to set this up because the most common task that happens to me is wanting a file on my home machine that I don't have handy. I already have written scripts that will copy files from any directory I want to a Dropbox directory (an example is if I should finish an ebook while out, and want a new one). Now, I need to connect the dots between that cron job and the script that will copy the file to where I want it. Once the script is finished executing, it should move itself back to the /Dropbox/scripts directory, or whatever. I may want to write and execute some other scripts and have them pop back to that directory as well.

Any ideas on how I should start?

squaregoldfish
November 9th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I suggest you look into the run-parts command, as seen in /etc/crontab - I think it does what you want, or at least will do with a bit of tweaking.

I can't give any more info than that - I just know that it exists :)

Steve.

James78
November 9th, 2010, 12:44 PM
#!/bin/bash

if [ -e /if/script/in/specified/directory/exists.sh ]; then
/execute/script/path/script.sh
mv /path/to/script.sh /move/to/dest/directory/
else
# do nothing
fi

... But you say you wanted it to run every script file in a specified directory? Let me know what you're thinking with some pseudo code..

DaithiF
November 9th, 2010, 02:46 PM
something like:

#!/bin/bash
scripts_to_run_dir=/home/you/Dropbox/scripts_to_run
scripts_archive_dir=/home/you/Dropbox/scripts_archive
shopt -s nullglob
for script in "$scripts_to_run_dir"/*
do
if [[ -x "$script" ]]; then
"$script"
mv "$script" "$scripts_archive_dir"/
fi
done

You probably realise that this is a security risk, right? -- if anyone got access to your dropbox account they could place a malicious script (e.g. rm -rf /home/you/*) into your scripts dir and your cronjob would happily run it.

There are lots of other alternatives for accessing a computer remotely -- ssh for example (which is what I use), so maybe you should explore some of those alternatives instead.

tarahmarie
November 9th, 2010, 06:30 PM
You may be right about the security. OTOH a simple verification at the beginning of the script and in the cronjob means that no script would execute out of that directory unless it contained my specified code. Plus, CONVENIENT.

TSJason
November 12th, 2010, 10:28 PM
for each in thisdirectory/*.sh ; do bash $each ; mv $each thatdirectory/ ; done