PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problem with kismet "FATAL: channel get ioctl failed 22:Invalid argument"

vinte
November 9th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Hi all,
I installed kismet but i couldn't run it. Also google couldn't help me more. Here is my problem:

myuser@mypc:~$ sudo kismet
Launching kismet_server: //usr/bin/kismet_server
Suid priv-dropping disabled. This may not be secure.
No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled.
Non-RFMon VAPs will be destroyed on multi-vap interfaces (ie, madwifi-ng)
Enabling channel hopping.
Enabling channel splitting.
NOTICE: Disabling channel hopping, no enabled sources are able to change channel.
Source 0 (Intel): Enabling monitor mode for iwl3945 source interface wlan0 channel 6...
FATAL: channel get ioctl failed 22:Invalid argument
Done.

* iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abg ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=15 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off

* lshw -C network
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 02
serial: 00:1b:77:8e:46:94
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 driverversion=2.6.35-22-generic firmware=15.32.2.9 latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg
resources: irq:45 memory:edf00000-edf00fff

* kismet.conf
# Sources are defined as:
# source=sourcetype,interface,name[,initialchannel]
# Source types and required drivers are listed in the README under the
# CAPTURE SOURCES section.
# The initial channel is optional, if hopping is not enabled it can be used
# to set the channel the interface listens on.
# YOU MUST CHANGE THIS TO BE THE SOURCE YOU WANT TO USE
source=iwl3945,wlan0,Intel

ubuntu 10.10
kismet 2008.05.R1

Pls help me fix it.
Thanks a mil.

gomer
November 10th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Funny. I use the same card, and it was working for me under 9.04, and now I get the same issues with 9.10 ...

I'm stumped, too. Kismet's documentation is ... well, it's not the clearest.

vinte
November 12th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks for your reply. We are the same.
Somebody helps us. :)

chili555
November 12th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Is the behavior improved if you do:
sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
sudo kismet

vinte
November 17th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Is the behavior improved if you do:
sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
sudo kismet

It's awsome. Worked like a charm.
Thanks a mil.:P

pestie
November 19th, 2010, 12:05 AM
I am having that exact same problem after my upgrade to 10.10 (10.04 worked perfectly) and the above trick does not work for me. Despite iwconfig showing my card in monitor mode, Kismet still throws that same error. airodump-ng works just fine, however, so something's definitely not right with Kismet. I am also using the iwl3945 driver. Any ideas?

UPDATE: Kismet runs fine on the same machine, but with an rtl8187-based device, so it looks like this is a problem with the iwl3945.

chili555
November 19th, 2010, 12:49 AM
My iwl3945 works perfectly with kismet in 10.10. Would you care to troubleshoot a bit?

pestie
November 19th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Sure, I'll gladly try whatever troubleshooting you can suggest.

chili555
November 19th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Sure, I'll gladly try whatever troubleshooting you can suggest.What does your kismet.conf sources line look like?

pestie
November 19th, 2010, 01:49 AM
source=iwl3945,wlan0,intelIt's the exact same line that used to work just fine in 10.04.

chili555
November 19th, 2010, 02:07 AM
source=iwl3945,wlan0,intelIt's the exact same line that used to work just fine in 10.04.How about this line? True, false or commented out?
# Do we try to put networkmanager to sleep? If you use NM, this is probably
# what you want to do, so that it will leave the interfaces alone while
# Kismet is using them. This requires DBus support!
#networkmanagersleep=true

pestie
November 19th, 2010, 02:10 AM
It is true, and uncommented. Kismet should definitely be trying to put NetworkManager to sleep.

chili555
November 19th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I have been giving considerable thought to this issue. As you can see, the original poster uses the same card and my solution worked for him. In my case, I use the same card and don't even have to bring the interface down; I simply 'sudo kismet' and all is well.

I am posting this from another laptop using an Intel 2915ABG and it starts perfectly as well. Both are fully updated 10.10 machines.

Therefore, I don't think it's an obvious Kismet issue, nor a Kismet vs. 3945ABG issue. I wonder if it's a Kismet with 3945ABG and Network Manager issue. My 3945ABG machine is a stay-at-home that only needs to connect to my network. It, therefor has had NM removed.

You might try:
sudo stop network-manager
sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
sudo kismetAnother suggestion is to download and compile a newer version of Kismet. My version, from the Ubuntu repositories, is 2008.05.R1
. On their site, they show the latest version as 2010-07-R1. If you decide to do that and get stuck, I'll be glad to help.

If stopping NM and taking down the interface doesn't help, I'd post a bug here: http://www.kismetwireless.net/

I have compiled and not yet configured the latest version. The process is not trivial.

pestie
November 20th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Well, I give up - I can't explain it. No combination of stopping network manager, downing the interface, and/or forcing monitor mode helped.

I'm going to try booting an Ubuntu 10.10 live CD and see if maybe there's something about the fact that I did an upgrade from 10.04 that's causing this. If that fails, I'll try building the new Kismet. The one in the Ubuntu repositories is the old branch; the new one has a whole new user interface (which isn't quite as nice, in my opinion) and is more stable and somewhat easier to configure as far as sources go. I've used it on another platform. I've compiled Kismet from source before, too - it's a pain, but it's doable. I've got a fair amount of experience compiling software from source, so I should be able to do it without too much trouble.

I very much appreciate all the help you've offered - thanks!

chili555
November 20th, 2010, 02:10 PM
A couple of hints: this build is a bit different, ./configure, make, sudo make install. There are some other options available which I ignored. Also, it may complain in ./configure about missing packages that you know you have. Mostly, it wants the -dev package.

We will be interested in your progress.

pestie
December 26th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Well, it took me a while to get around to playing with Kismet again, but I thought I'd at least come back here and report on my success. After downloading and compiling Kismet 2010-07-R1, it works perfectly fine with my Intel card. I still haven't a clue why the stock Ubuntu version fails, but there you have it.

Compiling the new Kismet wasn't really very hard, either. I needed build-essential, libpcap-dev, libnl-dev, libpcre3-dev, libncurses5-dev, and possibly libncursesw5-dev (I installed it for good measure). I did the "make install" phase with checkinstall, so I can at least manage Kismet as a Debian package rather than just having the install script spew a bunch of files all over /usr/local.