PDA

View Full Version : Another Error 17 with GRUB problem.

Newb Noob
April 17th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I just got this computer last night. I didn't reboot it until I shut it down, and slapped another harddrive out of a computer with Windows XP in it. It started booting up, acting like its' fine, but it tells me there's no Primary/secondary master/slave drives, and then it goes to loading GRUB, and I get an error seventeen. I tried entering the BIOS while it was booting, but it would refuse to do that, and just keep booting up until the error. I couldn't enter the settings, either. I didn't set the partitions or anything for this computer, I bought it from one of my friends, and he's the one that set it all up. I'd get help from him, but he's in class right now. Anybody want to help me? Please?

EDIT: And after I booted it up when I put the new harddrive in it, it went through a bunch of stuff, I assume it was for the harddrive, but I don't know. When I got the error 17 with that harddrive hooked up, I unhooked it and still got the same error.

EDIT #1: And I DON'T have Windows on that computer. Only Ubuntu.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 17th, 2006, 07:57 PM
I just got this computer last night. I didn't reboot it until I shut it down, and slapped another harddrive out of a computer with Windows XP in it. It started booting up, acting like its' fine, but it tells me there's no Primary/secondary master/slave drives, and then it goes to loading GRUB, and I get an error seventeen. I tried entering the BIOS while it was booting, but it would refuse to do that, and just keep booting up until the error. I couldn't enter the settings, either. I didn't set the partitions or anything for this computer, I bought it from one of my friends, and he's the one that set it all up. I'd get help from him, but he's in class right now. Anybody want to help me? Please?
I think that you posted in the wrong forum but try this. (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows?action=show&redirect=RecoveringGrub)

Newb Noob
April 17th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Oh yeah, and I don't have the install CD.

It just boots, I can't enter anything. I tried hitting DEL to enter the setup, nothing. I tried hitting Ctrl+H for BIOS Settings utility, nothing. It won't let me do anything.

And sorry for the wrong forum, They all have too odd of names for me.

Newb Noob
April 17th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I know double-posts are bad, but I really need to get this fixed.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 17th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Oh yeah, and I don't have the install CD.

It just boots, I can't enter anything. I tried hitting DEL to enter the setup, nothing. I tried hitting Ctrl+H for BIOS Settings utility, nothing. It won't let me do anything.

And sorry for the wrong forum, They all have too odd of names for me.
Well, if you don't have an install/live cd I don't know what you can do. Can you burn a live/install cd ?

Newb Noob
April 17th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Where can I get a live CD? And if I have to change what it boots from, it won't work, I can't change that. It won't let me, for some odd reason.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 17th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Where can I get a live CD? And if I have to change what it boots from, it won't work, I can't change that. It won't let me, for some odd reason.
Download it and burn it to a cd. Get the live cd at http://www.ubuntu.com/download select a mirror and then download the live cd. It is about 613 MB so if your on dial-up you won't be able to download it.

Newb Noob
April 17th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Do I have to change it to boot from the CD?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 17th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Do I have to change it to boot from the CD?
Yes.

Newb Noob
April 17th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I can't do that. It won't let me get to the screen to change it.

Newb Noob
April 17th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Oh, come on, don't give up so easily.

Newb Noob
April 17th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Help meh!

mozetti
April 21st, 2006, 07:55 AM
Grub has nothing to do with not being able to get into your BIOS - accessing the BIOS happens before GRUB even gets started. People have already helped you - you need an Install or Live CD, and you need to figure out how to get into your BIOS. Simple as that.

WildTangent
April 21st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Does your motherboard even use DEL to enter the BIOS? Some motherboards use F1 or F2, try those.

-Wild