PDA

View Full Version : Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds

Sporkman
November 8th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds

By Madison Park, CNN
November 8, 2010 8:40 a.m. EST

Twinkies. Nutty bars. Powdered donuts.

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

kaldor
November 8th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Dear lord, that'd make me sick :(

Sporkman
November 8th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Dear lord, that'd make me sick :(

I once went on a Burger King Whopper diet - 2 whoppers w/o mayo per day - for a few weeks. 650 calories each x2 = 1300 calories/day. Occasionally I'd weaken & add a few extra hundred calories from various sources.

Lost 15 or so pounds...

EDIT: I must hasten to add, however, that I was FRIGGIN HUNGRY almost all the time... :)

Red_Steve
November 8th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Did the same with steak sandwiches. two slices of white bread + 400 pound beef steak as main meal. for change mixed potatoes slices with sour cream in now and then or a cesar salad. made me lose 40 pounds in half a year.

edit: sorry, wrong scaling - a half pound of beef steak.

Captain Smiley Pants
November 8th, 2010, 10:00 PM
this is a diet i can get behind

weasel fierce
November 9th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I once went on a Burger King Whopper diet - 2 whoppers w/o mayo per day - for a few weeks. 650 calories each x2 = 1300 calories/day. Occasionally I'd weaken & add a few extra hundred calories from various sources.

Lost 15 or so pounds...

EDIT: I must hasten to add, however, that I was FRIGGIN HUNGRY almost all the time... :)

yikes, thats hardcore. Though I guess you'd still get some fairly fresh veggies that way. Hmm

Oxwivi
November 9th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Just another experiment that goes to say that human body isn't as simple as that.

GabrielYYZ
November 9th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Did the same with steak sandwiches. two slices of white bread + 400 pound beef steak as main meal. for change mixed potatoes slices with sour cream in now and then or a cesar salad. made me lose 40 pounds in half a year.

i'm guessing that should've been 4.00? although... even a 4 pounds beef steak is not a meal for the faint hearted :P

Spice Weasel
November 9th, 2010, 09:54 AM

Lost 15 or so pounds...

Did you lose 15 pounds from all of the diarrhoea? :P

weasel fierce
November 9th, 2010, 10:16 AM

"poop yourself healthy"

Sporkman
November 9th, 2010, 01:46 PM

No - from the constant hunger. :)

That's really the main lesson of this thread. The only surefire way to lose weight is to be hungry & miserable all the time.

Oxwivi
November 9th, 2010, 01:48 PM

That's really the main lesson of this thread. The only surefire way to lose weight is to be hungry & miserable all the time.
Not necessarily. Like the nutritionist says, it all comes down to calories. So if you stuff yourself with fiber, which humans cannot digest, you'd technically have full stomach but with very less calories.

Sporkman
November 9th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Not necessarily. Like the nutritionist says, it all comes down to calories. So if you stuff yourself with fiber, which humans cannot digest, you'd technically have full stomach but with very less calories.

Like I said - hungry & miserable. :)

_outlawed_
November 9th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Remember ladies and gentlemen, it's not the fat in food that makes you fat it's how many calories you take in!

MooPi
November 9th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Okay I'm going to write a book about my new diet. It will consist of Corn flakes, skim milk, eggs, bread sparingly, orange juice, V8 juice, and last but not least COFFEE with one teaspoon sugar per cup. I will call it "Breakfast Your Way to Thin". I can do this because I have always loved breakfast. Hmmmm Brunch anyone? I'll make millions on the book and then I'll eat whatever I please MooHaHaHahaha :twisted:

CharlesA
November 9th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Yep, it's the calories that count, not the exact "nutritional value" of the stuff you stuff in yer mouth.

Of course, that being said, I've been following a high protein, low carb, low fat diet and it works wonders.

Swagman
November 9th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Maaaan, I'd be pig sick to lose £15

aaaah .. you mean 1 stone 1

CharlesA
November 9th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Maaaan, I'd be pig sick to lose £15

aaaah .. you mean 1 stone 1

You, sir, made my morning. :guitar:

LowSky
November 9th, 2010, 04:22 PM
dont eat carbs from bread or refined sugar, and no juice or soda.

eat as much protien and fat you like, and eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegtables.

you will lose weight very quickly if you just lose the carbs.

now here the sciency stuff: your body will not allow you to overload on protein you will feel sick if you try to eat too much. carbs are more likely to be stored as fat. eaten fat is more likely to be used as energy and not stored. fiber can help you keep feeling full.
Many people will feel sluggish from not having as many carbs in their diet. This feeling will only last a few weeks and goes away once your body readjusts to its new diet.

I lost about 50 pounds in 5 months eating this way. with only moderate exercise.

Oxwivi
November 9th, 2010, 04:40 PM
dont eat carbs from bread or refined sugar, and no juice or soda.

eat as much protien and fat you like, and eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegtables.

you will lose weight very quickly if you just lose the carbs.

now here the sciency stuff: your body will not allow you to overload on protein you will feel sick if you try to eat too much. carbs are more likely to be stored as fat. eaten fat is more likely to be used as energy and not stored. fiber can help you keep feeling full.
Many people will feel sluggish from not having as many carbs in their diet. This feeling will only last a few weeks and goes away once your body readjusts to its new diet.

I lost about 50 pounds in 5 months eating this way. with only moderate exercise.
Agreed. Protein is destroyed, carbohydrates stored.

Lancro
November 9th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I losed 10 kilograms (dont know how many pounds are), only by being ill, my stomach still hurts some days, no diet, only going to the bathroom more than twice per day makes you lose weight without any problem of hungry or misery...

Red_Steve
November 9th, 2010, 05:05 PM
i'm guessing that should've been 4.00? although... even a 4 pounds beef steak is not a meal for the faint hearted :P

oh, sorry. got confused with the scaling of gramms to pounds. If a pound is half a kilogramm it would actually be a half pound. 250gramms.

Ric_NYC
November 9th, 2010, 05:17 PM
"Cakelets"... :)

forrestcupp
November 9th, 2010, 05:44 PM
The poor bastard will be the skinniest guy in the cardiac intensive care unit. :)

Sporkman
November 9th, 2010, 05:47 PM
The poor bastard will be the skinniest guy in the cardiac intensive care unit. :)

Not according to his bloodwork numbers. :)

cammin
November 10th, 2010, 12:43 AM

He forgot to mention his blood pressure. The article mentioned he was going to monitor it, but I didn't see the results anywhere.

forrestcupp
November 10th, 2010, 02:59 AM

Yeah, that's pretty amazing. The article did say, though, that it's impossible to tell the long term effects. Maybe it wouldn't hurt cholesterol, but maybe it would up the chances of cancer.

Sporkman
November 10th, 2010, 03:54 AM
http://sporkforge.com/prmimg/04cd/tif97edacb00f4a0i000a00000928dd50.png

handy
November 10th, 2010, 03:55 AM

I completely disagree with the basic premise of this thread; being that calories are all there is to losing weight. I think this nutritionist is a fruit loop!

I lost over 30 lbs in less than 5 months. The aim of the game was to NEVER let yourself feel hungry. I was eating 5 times a day & each meal always included protein, carb's & fat. So I was very well nourished with vegetables, fibre, protein & various sources of fat.

The diet (which is a lifestyle) is called the zone diet. My diet has been loosely based on the zone way for over 5 years now. If I find I start gaining weight, I just increase the amount of protein in my diet for a little while, as it speeds up the metabolism.

pb3
November 10th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I completely disagree with the basic premise of this thread; being that calories are all there is to losing weight. I think this nutritionist is a fruit loop!

I lost over 30 lbs in less than 5 months. The aim of the game was to NEVER let yourself feel hungry. I was eating 5 times a day & each meal always included protein, carb's & fat. So I was very well nourished with vegetables, fibre, protein & various sources of fat.

The diet (which is a lifestyle) is called the zone diet. My diet has been loosely based on the zone way for over 5 years now. If I find I start gaining weight, I just increase the amount of protein in my diet for a little while, as it speeds up the metabolism.

If you don't eat enough calories then you're going to lose weight. If he used to eat 2600 calories and now eats 1800, his body has to make up the difference somehow. Not really sure he proved anything.

handy
November 10th, 2010, 07:06 AM
If you don't eat enough calories then you're going to lose weight. If he used to eat 2600 calories and now eats 1800, his body has to make up the difference somehow. Not really sure he proved anything.

I agree, less calories do make a difference. I just can't believe that someone who supposedly has been educated about nutrition would:

1. Get himself so overweight.
2. Lose weight in a way that is so hard on his body, re. super poor nutritive value.

If that guy (the so called nutritionist) was/is predisposed to diabetes (he may have lost some weight but) he was really putting some strain on his endocrine system.

I think he just wanted to make a splash & get some attention.

kingbilly
November 10th, 2010, 07:26 AM
How the heck did he feel?

Weight isn't everything. When I talk about my diet I usually get the same expression from people, "Like you need to worry what you eat!"

Of course I do! I want to have ENERGY! Just cause I can metabolize fast food (Oh god Disney'09 internship) without gaining a pound doesn't mean I should. If I eat $shat, I feel like $shat.

Sporkman
November 10th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Note that he also took vitamins & ate some vegatables.

What is surprising is not the weight loss, but the good blood numbers. It seems to suggest that the weight loss is more important than the quality of the food.