PDA

View Full Version : Oracle says may launch own Linux

Burgresso
April 17th, 2006, 07:18 PM
"U.S. software maker Oracle Corp. is considering launching a version of the Linux operating system..."

"...Oracle had considered buying Novell Inc...."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060417/tc_nm/oracle_dc

That would be cool!

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 17th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I kind of have mixed feelings about this. I'm worried about Linux becomming "too commercial." I think that you should not have to pay for Linux, but hey, that's only my opinion. I wonder if you would have to pay for this or would it be free. Maybe Oracle will have a "Free" and "Pro" version.

Piggah
April 17th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I'm thinking that way too.

It seems like quite a few corps lately have taken an interest in Linux.

I wouldn't want something like this to start giving Linux a bad name, because in a way it could start to make Linux look bad I suppose.

That's just me though.

helpme
April 17th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Interesting, to say the least.

@MasterChief1234: I think you have a misconception about Linux, it already is very commercial. After all, Novell, Red Hat, IBM, HP etc. are companies, not charities.

Zodiac
April 17th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Oracle CEO Larry Ellison has confirmed that they are pursing SUSE as an option....

There goes the neighborhood...

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 17th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Interesting, to say the least.

@MasterChief1234: I think you have a misconception about Linux, it already is very commercial. After all, Novell, Red Hat, IBM, HP etc. are companies, not charities.
Exactly. What I was trying to say that if Linux becomes too commercial (it already almost is) it could ruin Linux's image and make it the next Microsoft.

helpme
April 17th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Exactly. What I was trying to say that if Linux becomes too commercial (it already almost is) it could ruin Linux's image and make it the next Microsoft.
Ah, I see.
However, I think your fears are misplaced, after all Linux is and will be free software.

Newb Noob
April 17th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I think somebody should help me with my problems, 'stead of just looking at it.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 17th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I tried to help. Unfortunetly the forums aren't centered around you. Maybe no one is responding because you posted in the wrong forum. I also don't think you can restore Grub without a live/install/ cd. Stop going around and posting "Help me with my problem." People will try to help you. Try to not get fustrated, just relax and things will be fine. :)

Newb Noob
April 17th, 2006, 09:47 PM
It's kind of hard to not get frustrated, considering the computer that I've owned not even for one day is already having problems.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 17th, 2006, 09:51 PM
It's kind of hard to not get frustrated, considering the computer that I've owned not even for one day is already having problems.
Well, try posting in the Gnome Support area of the forum. It can be found here (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=90) Post there and others will try to help you. After that just try to sitdown and wait a few minutes while someone tries to help. People are most likely not responding because you posteded in the Cafe. The Cafe kinda for talking about Linux/technology in general.

Newb Noob
April 17th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I already posted in one of the support forums, almost 40 minutes ago. I don't see why there is numerous support forums.

KingBahamut
April 17th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Oracle is the Largest Enterprise Software Company , seemingly converting a OS to accomodate their products would seem a natural progression of their business.

WildTangent
April 18th, 2006, 04:24 AM
I already posted in one of the support forums, almost 40 minutes ago. I don't see why there is numerous support forums.
Replies take time. Perhaps people reading it don't know how to help you. No one here is paid to help you, stop complaining.

-Wild

Compucore
April 18th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Well Oracle does have its Database programs that you can try and develop for free on your personal computer at home. I had signed up for it in 2001/2002 when I was taking courses for computer programming ans sure enough Oracle was on the list. I went to their web site otn.oracle.com to download at that time Oracle 9i for learning SQL on my old windows 200o pro machine. Trust me running Oracle 9i on a Pentium II 233 with 384 megs of ram is not a pretty site to see load up. Oracle 10G and 10G express are free to try and develop for both linux and windows environments. Developing another linux version that is optimized with a version of their Database would be kind of good for both parts. I would not mind seeing that happen with Ubuntu and Oracle joining up together and have 10g or 10g express running on a home system. Would be a good thing to see.

Compucore

I kind of have mixed feelings about this. I'm worried about Linux becomming "too commercial." I think that you should not have to pay for Linux, but hey, that's only my opinion. I wonder if you would have to pay for this or would it be free. Maybe Oracle will have a "Free" and "Pro" version.

briancurtin
April 18th, 2006, 05:38 AM
i think you should take any and all help you receive from this forum as complete gold, because its free. some problems take time, some problems can be fixed in one post. some problems cant be fixed. no one has to do anything for you or anyone else on this forum, and no one has to look at your posts at all. please do not take the attitude that you are the number one priority around here, especially not into completely unrelated threads. good luck with your problems.