PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Re-insert icons to top panel? (Specifically Evolution?)

J3ff5
November 8th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Hi, I'm really new to Ubuntu, and am running 10.04. Anyway, I accidentally got rid of the Evolution icon in my Notification Area. Every time I try to put an icon in that section, it will not let me, and makes me put the icon on the left side of it, like on the main part of the panel. I do not know if I just hid the icon, or if I actually removed it, and I am sure the fix is really simple, I just can't seem to figure out how to do it. Also, I opened the Universal Access program when checking out all the cool things in my new OS, but I can't figure out how to hide that icon.
So if you could tell me how to unhide Evolution and hide Universal Access, in the Notification Area, that would be awesome.
Here is an image if you do not know where I am talking about, or whatever:
http://i53.tinypic.com/15y7yja.png

Please don't make fun of me, lol. :-)

3Miro
November 8th, 2010, 09:07 PM
The panel's main ability is to hold applets. You can right-click on any of those applets to lock them at position or move them around. You probably just removed the evolution applet, you can right-click on the panel itself to add a new applet. I think you need "indicator applet".

J3ff5
November 9th, 2010, 02:31 AM
I tried that 3Miro, but it didn't work. Thanks though.

mcduck
November 9th, 2010, 08:19 AM
3Miro is right, it's the Indicator Applet you are missing. And to get it in correct place you have to make sure that other applets that are on the way are not locked to the panel. Just right-click them and make sure "Lock to Panel" is unselected.

For the Notification Area-applet (the one that has Accessibility & Network manager icons in it) you need to right-click on the barely visible handle on the far left side of the applet. That allows you to move that applet around and access it's settings.

edit:
For the Universal Access icon, go to System/Preferences/Keyboard, and on the Accessibility-tab disable the "Accessibility features can be toggled with keyboard shortcuts"-option.