PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] software-center needs gtkwidgets module which is not found

Crazedpsyc
November 8th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Whenever I try to run software-center I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/software-center", line 88, in <module>
from softwarecenter.app import SoftwareCenterApp
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/app.py", line 42, in <module>
import softwarecenter.view.dependency_dialogs as dependency_dialogs
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/view/dependency_dialogs.py", line 25, in <module>
from softwarecenter.backend import get_install_backend
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/backend/__init__.py", line 19, in <module>
from aptd import AptdaemonBackend
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/backend/aptd.py", line 32, in <module>
from aptdaemon.gtkwidgets import AptMediumRequiredDialog, \
ImportError: No module named gtkwidgetsI cannot find any reference to a gtkwidgets module, so I don't know what it is talking about. I don't really want to reinstall software-center or software-properties-gtk because ubuntu-desktop depends on them as well as some other things that make it too much to download right now. If it it really necessary and safe I can manage it in a few days

Oh, and this is rather important because software-center does not open after this message.

Crazedpsyc
November 10th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Bump Bumpadee Bump Bump. Bump Bump!

dino99
November 10th, 2010, 07:44 PM
i never use that buggy thing, only use synaptic

Crazedpsyc
November 10th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I use synaptic most of the time too (apt-get is pretty close to the top), but I still like to use the software center sometimes. Especially now that it has replaced gdebi as the deb installer. I can still use sudo dpkg --install, but I would rather use the software-center

sikander3786
November 12th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Similar thread. Might help...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8646848

Also check if you've enable any PPAs from Software Sources > Other Software Tab and try to disable all of them and try again.

Crazedpsyc
November 12th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Both solutions in that thread are a little off of what I need. the one that looked the best (downgrading libsoup and libwebkit) could be pretty bad because the packages it lists are for karmic. I use maverick. The other solution there didn't work because synaptic wouldn't let me downgrade those packages. looked like it was going to but when it came back from the cursor-spinning gray stage the package was still unmarked
I disabled all my 20+ ppas and tried software-center again and still got the same error

Crazedpsyc
November 15th, 2010, 10:49 PM
bump

Crazedpsyc
November 18th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Bump.

Crazedpsyc
November 24th, 2010, 03:32 PM
bump

Crazedpsyc
December 2nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
BbUuMmPp

Crazedpsyc
December 14th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I even reinstalled both software-center and python-aptdaemon-gtk, but still no luck.

Crazedpsyc
March 4th, 2011, 05:17 PM
It actually fixed itself by updating! But a little more info: It worked for other users, so it must have been a config issue.