PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu installation

Skopuningurin
November 8th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Hi

I got a little problem. I have Ubuntu 10.10 installed on my Laptop. But I want to get Ubuntu 10.04 on it. The problem is that I have 2 harddrives on my laptop ( 500gb each ) I have ubuntu 10.10 on one harddrive and Vista on the other.
How do I delete both partisons and only install Ubuntu 10.04?

dino99
November 8th, 2010, 05:25 PM
you have enough room to install a triple boot if you want to compare before erasing a partition. Prepare a partition to install 10.04 with gparted from 10.10:

- / ext3 or ext4 format, bootable, about 12 Gb
( take note of its name (/dev/sd?, to install on it when the "alternate" iso used in manual installation will ask on which partition you want to install it)

you dont need to create other partitions: swap is already created and can be used by all linux distro, /home is created too

as you already have grub-pc installed with 10.10, you dont need to install it again (need it only if you erase the 10.10 partition later)

thegod_slayer
November 8th, 2010, 06:14 PM
How do I delete both partisons and only install Ubuntu 10.04?

well, if you installed ubuntu 10.10 with a dual boot, single os install shouldn't be a problem.
the whole whole process is similar to any ubuntu install just remember to delete the swap,/,and /boot (if you have made this partition) and also the windows partition at the partition table.
that's it then make your own partitions as you want and install 10.04.

Skopuningurin
November 8th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Are you saying that I can install Ubuntu 10.04 with gparted. Boot into 10.04 and just delete the Ubuntu 10.10 and Vista without any problem?

thegod_slayer
November 8th, 2010, 06:55 PM
sorry no experience with this kind of install.

insert the live cd, go to the partitioning table which will show both 10.10 and vista.
remove all that and make a single clean install.

see it's easy.

Skopuningurin
November 9th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Is it possible to just delete the Windows partisions from Ubuntu ( In dicstools ), or formate the windows harddrive then put the CD in and just install it alone. ( delteing Ubuntu 10.10 while installing 10.04 ) ?
I am a complete noob.

dino99
November 9th, 2010, 04:53 PM
why not following #2 ?

use gparted or partedmagic to prepare your hdd, then install ubuntu and later (few days or weeks) if you think that you can remove a distro, you then use gparted to format the unwanted partition , but take care that grub is installed somewhere else if you want to be able to boot.

nm_geo
November 9th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I just installed 10.4 on a XP box using Gparted from a live USB and it went so smooth I was shocked. You could shrink you windows partition on drive one and then install 10.4 from a CD or a live USB. Oh to have (2) 500GB drives. My Dell D620 laptop had a new 320GB drive and that ought to be plenty for a long time.