PDA

View Full Version : Considering switching back

nolag
November 8th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I currently use linux mint, but I am considering switching back to Ubuntu. I guess the main reasons that I have are:

1) they are not that different, but ubuntu comes out with releases first (in genereal)
2) ubuntu has a larger community
3) When ubuntu comes out with a new version you can upgrade, no fresh install needed

But the main reasons I am thinking of staying

1) the backup tool (although I may just make my own) is great
2) it was easier to find my drivers, since it will by default look at non-open ones as well

Can anyone provide me with more reasons to switch back (or to stay away I guess)?

PS. quick question, where would I post questions about making an ubuntu spin off? I like ubuntu, and I think a spin off would be a great way to learn more about ubuntu and linux!

howefield
November 8th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Not really a support request, moved to the Cafe.

TCHebb
November 8th, 2010, 04:39 PM
In my opinion, there's pretty much no difference in what you can do. You can install any of Mint's tools in Ubuntu and vice versa with a little effort, and they both have essentially identical hardware support. It's really a matter of personal preference. I prefer Ubuntu because it's what I'm familiar with, but I'm sure I could switch to Mint (or any other Debian-based distro) with very little effort.

Johnsie
November 8th, 2010, 04:41 PM
What about Debian? That's what they are both working off.

nolag
November 8th, 2010, 04:53 PM
What about Debian? That's what they are both working off.

True, I have considered Debian but I think I like some of the features in Ubuntu. I am curious though dose Debian (or Ubuntu) use the standard linux kernel,or do they make modifications to it first?

I know the switch back would not be too hard, I just wanted to know if there is anything Ubuntu has that mint does not (or any other benifits that come by default)?

PS. Sorry for posting this in the wrong spot, I am new to Ubuntuforums. What is Cafe for (I am guessing I can post my other question about spin offs there as well?)

undecim
November 8th, 2010, 05:05 PM
1) the backup tool (although I may just make my own) is great

rsync. Use it. http://blog.undecim.org/2010/10/you-can-never-backup-often-enough/

2) it was easier to find my drivers, since it will by default look at non-open ones as well

System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers.

Now is that so hard?

There will be ups and downs to any distro or OS you use. Just decide which set of pros and cons you would rather have.

TBABill
November 8th, 2010, 05:06 PM
If you like some features of both how about a bit of time trying out Linux Mint Debian? It's based on Debian, not Ubuntu like regular Mint releases, and has a slightly different feel as far as configuration. Once setup it feels like regular Mint. That will give you some of the learning curve without dumping you straight into Debian.

nolag
November 8th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I know it's not hard for the drivers, I had used Ubuntu before. I once had weird problems with doing the drivers that way though, it would not do some things and I needed to keep doing it every time I booted, it did out of nowhere work though (I guess I should let that go it was a while ago). As for the backup, thanks that tool seems good (I would use it for a hard drive instead of online backup). I think I would still make something to backup package selections (easy, I know that). The only reason I would not use LMDE is that it is only 32-bit and I have 4GB ram + 1GB of video RAM. I think will backup mint tonight, and install the newest Ubuntu as well. Oddly enough the reason I switched to mint was that the of Ubuntu (8 or 9 don't remember) graphical installer was not starting up and I did not want to do a text based install (I could but was in no mood, plus I figured that if it was a driver thing then it could still affect me after the install). I don't know why but the mint graphical install did work. I hope it works for Ubuntu 10!

TBABill
November 8th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Check that your hardware works with it if you try 10.10. LOTS of people have all sorts of hardware issues going on with wireless and video that work ok in 10.04 and fail to work in 10.10.

nolag
November 9th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Thank you all for your input. I have officially switched back (last night). I decided that I will triboot: windows 7, ubuntu, and debian (will install debian tonight on a logical partition)!