PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gather all windows to one screen?

arch0njw
November 8th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Is there a way in Gnome to gather all windows to one screen? I switch between two screens and one from time to time, and if I don't remember to move all my windows onto my laptop's screen (only) it is a nuisance to reckon out.

My use model is that I have a laptop with a monitor hooked up to it. I take my laptop to code reviews and therefore need to condense to once screen. It would be nice if there was a command to invoke that would gather (tile, perhaps?) all windows on one screen so I wouldn't have any off-screen windows when I "go mobile".

Thanks!
__
[Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit | Lenovo T510]

crunchytheory
June 12th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Bumping this since it is a nuisance for me as well. Anyone have a clue if this can be done? Thanks.

conradin
June 12th, 2011, 02:50 AM
You ask a good question, I haven't a clue.
I was reading the help file And i just don't see it.
However, what I do see is the emails for the creators of the workspace app.
John Fleck <jfleck@inkstain.net>
Sun GNOME Documentation Team <gdocteam@sun.com>
Alexander Larsson <alla@lysator.liu.se>

hopefully those are current, and you can get an answer out of one of them.

conradin
June 12th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Ok, I just tried something I though might work, you can tell me if you like it or not. I dragged items from the small panel workspace icons to the main workspace I was working in. Although it was 1 at a time, it did work.

Im guessing if you can convince someone its worth it, actually programing a fix (option) to collect all items in one workspace is completely possible.

Drop a hint on a developer or cash. Which ever.

aaronkidd96
June 12th, 2011, 03:16 AM
I don't know if i'm being a complete noob, but can't you just press the windows button + s? Sorry in advance if im not telling you the right thing.

conradin
June 12th, 2011, 03:19 AM
You know I thought so, But I tried it on this machine and it just didn't work. In-fact none of the super+Keys are doing anything (here at least). I thought (windows lol this is linux!)=super + e or super + r is what I was thinking...

aaronkidd96
June 12th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Try going to your system preferences and then to your keyboard shortcuts. You might be able to set up something there do do it...

arch0njw
June 13th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Try going to your system preferences and then to your keyboard shortcuts. You might be able to set up something there do do it...

When I first asked this question, I had looked at all the settings in the normal keyboard shortcuts as well as what Compiz had to offer. No love that I could see.

I'm still looking for this as it would be a very handy feature.